The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laprenti
Next academic year or 2013?

Sorry I Meant next academic year (2014)
Original post by x_anniie_x
Ah you know what, I got told that I had to see him by appointment I was like well erm the fact that I Have a deadline to pay this by. But he saw me anyways. So I've paid now, the journey by train is much horrendous than bus for some odd reason lol.

Ah lol where do you live? I'm from North London, such a trek!
Original post by Cutmeloose
Ah lol where do you live? I'm from North London, such a trek!

Lol omg thats a longer journey than mine, I'm from East
Reply 43
Hey Umar, Yeah I went to the guy today and he was telling me how prices are going to go up next year and that they are going to scrap jan exams. But thats weird because all-in got told they are full up yet he is telling you i'll tell you next week. I turned up unexpected so I doubt he is 'that' busy.

wow thats like £20 cheaper than corelli. where is this place btw, I'll be gutted if its much nearer than corelli :/

The place is in Wandsworth, which is an half an hour drive for me, from Hayes, whereas Corelli is 45 mins away.

You say that it's £20 cheaper, but £45 of my quoted price is an registration charge. I assume you are taking some exams in June? Hence June exams will be cheaper, that is if they don't change their prices hopefully. If you would like more details about the place, PM me.

Umar
Original post by umar299
The place is in Wandsworth, which is an half an hour drive for me, from Hayes, whereas Corelli is 45 mins away.

You say that it's £20 cheaper, but £45 of my quoted price is an registration charge. I assume you are taking some exams in June? Hence June exams will be cheaper, that is if they don't change their prices hopefully. If you would like more details about the place, PM me.

Umar

Oh I see. Well there was no exam registration fee only admin fee, which works out cheaper if you take more than one unit (same subject), as the admin fee reduces to half price. These are only quotes for jan exams though.

I think getting to kidbrooke is an easier route for me than to wandsworth lol. Thanks for the info though :smile:
anyone know any centres that let u do coursework?
Does sitting your exam with a grammar or FE/state college have any bearing on the marking. Do examiners compare the standard of work with the batch they are working from.

I ask because I did a paper I thought I did brilliantly in at a grammar school and got a low B. On getting my script, I met the criteria for the MS and concluded that maybe my delivery/writing style wasn't on par with the rest??? ( i was resitting a paper I got a low A in b4) . I got mostly high A's in the exams I sat at my local FE college and it wasn't even my best work.
Reply 47
this is an excellent thread and a life safer :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by wetin dey?
Does sitting your exam with a grammar or FE/state college have any bearing on the marking. Do examiners compare the standard of work with the batch they are working from.

I ask because I did a paper I thought I did brilliantly in at a grammar school and got a low B. On getting my script, I met the criteria for the MS and concluded that maybe my delivery/writing style wasn't on par with the rest??? ( i was resitting a paper I got a low A in b4) . I got mostly high A's in the exams I sat at my local FE college and it wasn't even my best work.

The mark you get should be independent of the work it is being marked with.
Reply 49
Original post by umar299
Hey,
I tried Corelli college but the examination guy is too busy I phoned him on Monday this week and he said he would likely get back to me next week.

However, after more searching I found a centre that will allow me to do the exams for cheap e.g. 5 units cost me £145. To be honest I couldn't find an cheaper place.

Get in touch with me and would be happy to help, as I understand how stressing it is.

Umar

Hey Umar, Yeah I went to the guy today and he was telling me how prices are going to go up next year and that they are going to scrap jan exams. But thats weird because all-in got told they are full up yet he is telling you i'll tell you next week. I turned up unexpected so I doubt he is 'that' busy.

wow thats like £20 cheaper than corelli. where is this place btw, I'll be gutted if its much nearer than corelli :/

Original post by Cutmeloose
So did you get to pay in the end? They must have made loads of money!

Corelli is so far from me aswell :frown:

You guys should've tried North London College on the way to Tottenham, it was £25 per exam, might have changed, loads of Woodhouse students use it :smile:
So which Exam centre's are cheap then?
Reply 51
It depends a bit on which exam board you do. AQA have better arrangements for allowing private candidates to do coursework than other exam boards. As long as you have someone reputable (e.g. a tutor) to vouch for the work being your own then it should not be too difficult to find a centre for AQA coursework, although there are some coursework heavy subjects where they will not accept entries from private candidates (e.g. Art, ICT). Edexcel have arrangements with a couple of distance learning providers, if you are not with them then it is virtually impossible. OCR is also extremely difficult.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 52
what's the cheapest price for a written paper?
theres corelli college that charge £25- £40
Has anybody found a cheaper one?

also if you want to do practicals for the sciences
oak heights edit: dont charge the original price, its been bumped up to £200 :s-smilie:
they do written papers as well for £50

worst possible place is
london brookes college
they charge £500 for a practical in a group or £630 one to one
and they charge £90 per paper

I read somewhere that somebody managed to do a unit for only £15 each
i have emailed them and am currently waiting for a response
how is everybody doing finding an exam centre?
personally i've found it quite stressful. i sure wish i had worked harder last year!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Holy family college email them
Original post by Iqbal007
You guys should've tried North London College on the way to Tottenham, it was £25 per exam, might have changed, loads of Woodhouse students use it :smile:

North London Has gone up to £80 per paper which is why I didn't bother lol.

Asides from the one that Umar has suggested, corelli is the cheapest alternative in my view lol
Reply 55
North London Has gone up to £80 per paper which is why I didn't bother lol.

Asides from the one that Umar has suggested, corelli is the cheapest alternative in my view lol

WHAT! are you sure? That was the cheapest as far as I remember :s-smilie:
Reply 56
corelli is now £45 to 60 per unit
Original post by Iqbal007
WHAT! are you sure? That was the cheapest as far as I remember :s-smilie:

Well that was the impression I was under, until they emailed me their prices which said £80 per unit. I was like... :eek:
Original post by Glycosidic
corelli is now £45 to 60 per unit

I'm guessing that's due to late fee pay :/
Reply 59
Well that was the impression I was under, until they emailed me their prices which said £80 per unit. I was like... :eek:

I think they are just trying to make money due to funding shortfalls, as they usually were the cheapest and had a lot of demand, they are making like £67 per test then.

Latest