The Student Room Group

Mini One or Ford Fiesta

Im due to pass my driving test any time soon. (I am a 17 yr old female)
I am interested in either buying a Ford Fiesta or a Mini One. I've checked insurance on both and there doesn't actually seem to be much difference (Approx £1200)

Only probs are, is the Mini One is a 1.6 and the Fiesta would be a 1.2.

What's people advice?
For a 'just passed' driver, I would recommend the 1.2
Reply 2
although insurance cost may not be an issue, what year reg are you going for? and what colours? i imagine a BMW mini will be more expensive to fix then a ford. - have a ford very reliable easy to get parts for etc.. but its a bitch of a colour to get matched up. I did see a mini one fore sale down the road for #3500 the other day so getting quite a good price on those at the moment. suppose its preference really they are both really easy to find, but mini will be a bit more pokey.
Original post by harrietj
I am interested in either buying a Ford Fiesta or a Mini One. I've checked insurance on both and there doesn't actually seem to be much difference (Approx £1200)

What's people advice?

What exactly is your worry with the Mini being a 1.6?

We own a Mini One D, bought it brand new in Jan. Spice Orange :smile: My wife drives it from Henley to Reading on most days and then onwards to London, car has done 7000 miles now. Been a good car other than the colour which is Spice Orange. Fuel economy is very good, though the diesel engine in the One D models lacks the refinement, a bit noisy when compared to the one in the Cooper D. It's our 2nd Mini, the first one was a JCW version which we traded in.

There is a Mini First if you're worried of the 1.6l being too powerful in the One, which it actually isn't all that powerful for a 1.6l car.

Between the 2, no contest which car is a better one, get the Mini.... if it is brand new make sure you get the TLC then servicing is free as well. Where the Mini would make the most difference is when you sell it on later, they normally hold their value similar to a German car......... but then again it is a German car :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Erich Hartmann

We own a Mini One D, bought it brand new in Jan. Spice Orange :smile: My wife drives it from Henley to Reading on most days and then onwards to London, car has done 7000 miles now. Been a good car other than the colour which is Spice Orange. Fuel economy is very good, though the diesel engine in the One D models lacks the refinement, a bit noisy when compared to the one in the Cooper D. It's our 2nd Mini, the first one was a JCW version which we traded in.

There is a Mini First if you're worried of the 1.6l being too powerful in the One, which it actually isn't all that powerful for a 1.6l car.

Between the 2, no contest which car is a better one, get the Mini.... if it is brand new make sure you get the TLC then servicing is free as well. Where the Mini would make the most difference is when you sell it on later, they normally hold their value similar to a German car......... but then again it is a German car :biggrin:

Thanks for the great advice.

As I am a student I would be buying a second hand mini. I have come across one in silver. It has 02 reg so is relatively old now and has done 90,000 miles. However, it is only £3000 which I thought was reasonable.

I am learning to drive at the moment in a 1.3l fiat 500, so I'm hoping that there isn't actually a great difference in a 1.6l mini.
Original post by hhh123
Thanks for the great advice.

As I am a student I would be buying a second hand mini. I have come across one in silver. It has 02 reg so is relatively old now and has done 90,000 miles. However, it is only £3000 which I thought was reasonable.

I am learning to drive at the moment in a 1.3l fiat 500, so I'm hoping that there isn't actually a great difference in a 1.6l mini.

You will get used to the difference in no time.... just give yourself some time...... people do switch between cars all the time and it isn't that difficult to learn to drive a different car.

As for the difference between the 1.6l Mini.... you will probably find it slightly sluggish as compared to the Fiat 500.

One thing to remember when buying a second hand MINI... as it is a premium branded product many replacement parts for anything that may be worn out will be premium priced also. A lot of parts will start to need replacement right around 90-100k as well so do take that into account.

I probably won't buy it unless it has had a thorough mechanical and electronic inspection by a very reputable mechanic.

Anyway don't rush... at £3000 there will be plenty of examples available and possibly you could also get something newer as well. But personally unless you really like the idea of having a MINI, at that price range I would probably go for something else.
Original post by Erich Hartmann

i always wondered what colour your cars were! i hope it wasn't you who picked the orange....
buy mini it will hold its value way better than fiesta, its also better than a fiesta coz its a bmw. so bmw vs ford i know wat id go for lol. try for leather interior and panoramic roof, even wait and hold out for it. if you get a top spec mini 2005 1.6, with about 60000 - 70000 miles inc leathers, panoramic roof, sat nav, heated seats, climate and full history - the lot for £5500 thats a realli good deal! there are some about ebay/autotrader
Reply 8
I personally really like the look of the Fiestas (especially the newer models)

That said, yeah, the mini I would imagine would hold its value more.
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
i always wondered what colour your cars were! i hope it wasn't you who picked the orange....

Heh... believe it or not whenever the choice is left to me, the colour of the car always ends up as silver with black or the darkest interior shades of colours.

The colours of my vehicles :-

Porsche Cayenne = Silver with black leather.
Land Rover Disco = Indus Silver with black leather.
Land Rover Defender = Indus Silver with black leather and grey cloth. This one is usually mud coloured as it hasn't had a wash since March.

Audi RS3 = Red with black leather...... I didn't have a choice on this one, I bought an ex-demonstrator vehicle.

The Mini, my wife originally wanted one that was British Racing Green, but the 2 in stock was this Spice Orange and Black, our daughter selected the orange over the black.

The classics, most of them I will paint them back to it's original factory colour when it undergoes restoration. Most aren't in colours I particularly enjoy but I'm trying to keep them as original as possible.

Mk1 Mini = Old English White with red interior..... it is already this colour but it's quite worn now. Don't like white cars to be honest. No where near starting as it's still being driven every now and then.
Jag E Type = Opalescent Maroon with beige interior. Right now it is pale primrose which is a yellow and has beige interior but the interior is from a later model, this one is going through the painting process now.

These are now the colour of rust as I don't have the budget to get it done this year :-
Jag Mk2 = Cream with red interior.
Austin Atlantic = Maroon with cream interior.
Morris 8 = Red and black with red interior.
Reply 10
My advice would be test drive both and make your own mind up.

I've not got anything positive to say about mini's. I had a cooper S last year and it was crap. They have the turning circle of a yacht, poor rear visibility and the powersteering whines like a bastard.

Fiesta - it's cheap, it's basic, it'll probably go on forever but it's still pig ugly and filled with cheap and nasty plastic.

Your first car should be one to remember. Have a look at an MX5. :wink:
Audi a2 - you;ll love it
My first car was a Ford Fiesta Style and I now have a MINI One. I prefer the MINI but in all honesty I know it would have been a bad idea to get as my first car.
It's different driving on your own and you will probably get a few bumps and scratches on your first car, I tried to reverse my Fiesta off the drive the day I passed and hit the wall.. scratching all of the paint work LOL. Plus the MINI is much faster then my Fiesta and I think it would be too much to handle for most new drivers.
But it's up to you, like I said IMO the MINI is a nicer car, but for your first car I would recommend the Fiesta.
Reply 13
The Fiesta Style is a new car isn't it? I guess it depends which engine you went for though. They come in many variants from 1.2 to 1.6 versions.
I'm loving my 1.0 Micra though if I'm honest. Its very quick when it wants to be :smile:
The Mini being a small car also will of course have a lot of oomph in it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Go for a Fiesta. Great fun to drive, and if the worst happens, body parts are cheap, as are mechanical.

Youll get a newer, lower mileage car for the money.

Ive recently dropped from a 1.6 Focus to a 1.25 Fiesta and i don't regret it.
Original post by Kage
The Fiesta Style is a new car isn't it? I guess it depends which engine you went for though. They come in many variants from 1.2 to 1.6 versions.
I'm loving my 1.0 Micra though if I'm honest. Its very quick when it wants to be :smile:
The Mini being a small car also will of course have a lot of oomph in it.

It wasn't that new, I think it was about 4 years old when I got it (05 reg), and it was a 1.25ltr.
Reply 16
Original post by harrietj

What's people advice?

I was thinking the same as you! Maybe you can help me out? Where did you find the insurance on the Mini that cheap?? :confused:

(Deffinitley the Mini!!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending