Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

People with mediocre grades should not be allowed to go to university

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol this got me some hate
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought that phrase was relating to the fact that not everyone enjoys the whole experience?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BulgeBracket)
    I thought that phrase was relating to the fact that not everyone enjoys the whole experience?
    No, it's relating to the fact that Tony Blair had a plan of 50% of all young people in the UK being in University in the short term future, and the fact that everyone and anyone nowadays sincerely believes they are entitled to go to university, regardless of their academic record.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.. some people just go because they aren't entirely sure what their next step is and drop out soon after they start...Everyone should have the chance to university education but only if they are of a certain standard
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you (almost) entirely.

But the problem that exists at the moment is that people that don't go to university are disadvantaged in terms of future employment or at the very least believe that they will be.

I'm all for fewer universities with fewer courses and fewer places, with higher requirements. It is a little elitist, but I honestly think that the university system loses value if it's NOT elitist. Of course there should be opportunities for people who aren't incredible academically and I think the increasing availability and quality of vocational courses is a good thing.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think BBB/AA should be the minimum requirement for university's, anything less and you're better off getting a job or a more vocational qualification.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adidas90)
    Better delete your account then hadn't you son
    So what should the cut off be then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Anti-Hero)
    I agree with you (almost) entirely.

But the problem that exists at the moment is that people that don't go to university are disadvantaged in terms of future employment or at the very least believe that they will be.

I'm all for fewer universities with fewer courses and fewer places, with higher requirements. It is a little elitist, but I honestly think that the university system loses value if it's NOT elitist. Of course there should be opportunities for people who aren't incredible academically and I think the increasing availability and quality of vocational courses is a good thing.
    Only IMO because they don't put themselves out there enough. The problem people have is this whole 'instant gratification' thing whereby they sort of see the picture as:

University = 3 years of fun with some work, instant well paid job and respect from society
    No university = That saturday job they did for Mr Smith down the road where they stacked shelves and mopped floors, but 5x a wk instead of 1. Or they look on job centre website and try to find instant sign up jobs whereby they'll get an interview and being earning a decent salary this time next week.

When in reality, I know plenty of people who stopped at A level (and below that), and simply by putting in the same amount of time and effort that would be homologous to a 3 yr degree in time and effort, have achieved decent careers because they were willing to assert themselves for it. Effort can be put in, in more ways than one so whether that be by constantly rubbing shoulders with people and getting your face known in an organisation over several years, or by hard study, that effort is never in vain if done right.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got poor grades. I'm at University. Does this anger you?

Guess what? There's nothing you can do about it. Tee hee.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Universities only want your monies, standards don't mean too much.
    Let everyone hand over their money and have a fun time and university.
    And I presume you go/are going to a decent Uni so what does it matter to you?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daaani)
    Universities only want your monies, standards don't mean too much.
    Let everyone hand over their money and have a fun time and university.
    And I presume you go/are going to a decent Uni so what does it matter to you?
    See post above yours
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I care because it devalues degrees and university in general, gives people false hope and makes the state of the country's unemployment even worse.
    What a load of bullpoo. A degree from Oxbridge/most elitist places isn't "devalued" because people do "lesser" degrees.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got BDD at A level and finished last year of university with 82.65%. Academic performance before university means nothing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also you all need to stop with the predictable strawman stuff, whereby I suddenly want to close every university except Oxbridge and only have a handful of degrees available.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** grades, mediocre people should not be allowed to go to university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, you think you're at university but just about the only thing it has in common with a real university is the fact they both take your money (but only one yields something worth paying for).

Sit down, son.
    In my class there are people who paid thousands of pounds to attend private school. It's hilarious.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    What about those poor individuals who were underachievers in their early/mid-teens, who never got to show their true potential because of poor schools, poor teachers and lack of motivation. I know some people like that, and they ended up doing really well at university.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So what should the cut off be then?
    I don't know. I think an A or B should be a given for matching up with the same/similar sort of subject at a higher level, and then C's in the rest as an absolute lowest.

D's, absolutely not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Obvi0us)
    What about those poor individuals who were underachievers in their early/mid-teens, who never got to show their true potential because of poor schools, poor teachers and lack of motivation. I know some people like that, and they ended up doing really well at university.
    OP wants them to spend 20 years in college just so they can prove to him they are worth his time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Obvi0us)
    Can't afford to take the chance on people like that, because statistically for every 1 person who did dire at A level but great at University, there will be another 99 who did dire at A level, signed up for a crap university and still did dire.

If they did poorly at A level, through their own effort/capacity (ie not mitigating circumstances) then they should have to do A levels again before moving onto University.

Would you say it's ok to allow people to qualify as firemen/policemen who performed terribly in basic training and couldn't pass their exams, just because one of your buddies underperformed in his basic training but was still allowed to qualify and in the end became a great policeman? I don't think so.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.