The Student Room Group

Are Spanish girls stylish?

My boyfriend told me that during his trip in Sevilla the girls are always dressed up...whether they are going to the supermarket, walking their dog, going to class or going to a bar. He said they always look good and presentable and not 'scatty'. Has anyone found this visiting Spain (obviously not the touristy beachside places)??

*Sigh* We got onto talking about clothes and my boyfriend said he liked 'smartly' dressed girls and because now I am a 'woman', I should wear 'womans' clothes...I asked him what that meant, if he meant wearing heels everyday etc. or granny clothes, he said 'No, just nice dresses and just mature clothes'.

Honestly, I wish I looked a little bit more 'put together' and mature, but I am clueless about fashion and have no idea where to start! No idea about colours, what pieces goes with what and what's appropriate for different occasions etc. I actually hate shopping and get so depressed looking in changing room mirrors, I usually leave with nothing (I am not hugely overweight but things never 'fit' right and look far better on the manequin on me - either makes me look like a frump, or is just ill fitting and tight in all the wrong places).

So any idea of what my boyfriends means?? What would an example of a feminine, fitted, sexy, 'mature'/smart, elegant look be?? Ughh, I feel so frumpy and unstylish. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I have to agree, when i went to Rome the girls were very much into there dress code, which can only be a good thing of course!
Reply 2
Spanish girls are way overrated.
You shouldn't let your boyfriend make you feel bad about your appearance, he should like the way that you look as you are.
I lived in Spain for seven years and personally feel like there's no point generalising about nations as everybody has their own individual style; some Spanish girls dress well and some don't. If you'd like to feel better about your appearance for you then my advice would be to keep it simple and well cut. A blazer, plain shirt and simple pair of skinny jeans can look just as well put together as any extremely formal outfit could. Maybe invest in things like a white blouse, which look smart without trying too hard. But if you feel comfortable within yourself then that will show. Good luck!
Reply 4
I often get told i look/dress like a latin woman because I wear a lot of smarter ensembles, generally make an effort to wear well fitting, nicely made clothes and although i dont always bother with makeup, my skin is always even and healthy. I also happen to have what people would say is typically hispanic colouring, olive skin, brunette with dark eyes.

I think you should go for what makes you feel most comfortable - dont dress like a spanish woman if you don't feel the confidence to do so - their look is based on self confidence and them knowing they look good!
There's this Spanish girl in my sixth form
who over-dresses all the time.

I just don't know how she can do it all year round- this includes high heels and tight tight jeans
Well, my fiancée is Spanish so felt I had to comment on this, and yes, she does dress stylisly (imo of course:smile:)
spanish girls.......speak very quickly.

O.O'
Yes.
Reply 9
Have a look in Zara. They do really nice stuff, and I would say it has the kind of clothes that your boyfriend is talking about.
I agree with miserlou, look in Zara :yep:

Although i'd say it's the french women who are more stylish, feminine and elegant.
Ok so I've been around parts of southern europe (spain, italy, greece etc.) for the past 3 weeks and I can see why guys in britain are unsatisfied with the girls in this country. The standard of girls is a lot higher in general, the sort of girl considered average there would be considered good looking over here. They dress better, take better care of their bodies and health and are more fun in general. It was a massive disappointment sitting in the tube back from heathrow and seeing all the unattractrive brits. There are definitely stunning girls over here, especially being in london where we're blessed with such diverse backgrounds, but there's no debating that other european countries have it a lot better than us.
Reply 12
Original post by Abi24
I often get told i look/dress like a latin woman because I wear a lot of smarter ensembles, generally make an effort to wear well fitting, nicely made clothes and although i dont always bother with makeup, my skin is always even and healthy. I also happen to have what people would say is typically hispanic colouring, olive skin, brunette with dark eyes.

I think you should go for what makes you feel most comfortable - dont dress like a spanish woman if you don't feel the confidence to do so - their look is based on self confidence and them knowing they look good!

What do you do for your skin? Do you have a regimen or are you one of those lucky people with naturally flawless skin? Sorry for the curiosity I just struggle with keeping my skin looking good day-to-day and any tips would be helpful :biggrin:
When I lived out there I found they did seem better but I'm British so I would think that
I think what Spanish and many other European girls have is confidence. When I was in Spain, it didn't matter how big you were, how small you were, whether you were blonde, ginger or brunette, everyone was beautiful in their own way. They wore things that were right for them. If you feel like thinks are tight in the wrong places, maybe a floaty feminine top and skinny jeans is right for you :biggrin:!
Reply 15
Original post by MusingsOfSmudge
I think what Spanish and many other European girls have is confidence. When I was in Spain, it didn't matter how big you were, how small you were, whether you were blonde, ginger or brunette, everyone was beautiful in their own way. They wore things that were right for them. If you feel like thinks are tight in the wrong places, maybe a floaty feminine top and skinny jeans is right for you :biggrin:!

This! 100%. In Spain people dress according to what suits them, not just because your good looking neighbour is wearing it.
Generally, Brits dress like crap, and don't look after themselves as much as southern Europeans.
My grandparents live in Southern Spain and they certainly don't dress very well there. Not awful, but people dress a lot more stylishly here compared to there. Then, I guess it's unfair to compare London to this quite rural part of Spain. They also have quite a problem with obesity there, especially among the young people. When I went out the average teen girl was quite plump and a lot of the children were really overweight. I imagine it's different in the big towns and cities though.

Try and find nice clothes that you feel comfortable in - what body shape are you? I have an hourglass figure and have the problem with loads of clothes just not fitting right and in the right places but there are actually several staple items which fit really well and I'm sure you can find the same for yourself. Just experiment and don't try things just because everyone else is wearing them because it won't necessarily suit you. Don't force yourself to wear things that you don't feel confident in though, because it will show and it's just not worth it at all.
Reply 18
I'm not sure that Spanish people are that great when it comes to dressing - or at least not the ones I've met.

At sixth form, we had a group of about 10 Spanish people come over on an exchange, and their day to day wear wasn't anything special: skinny jeans, hoodies and converse. Similarly, whenever I see large groups of tourists in London from places like Spain and France etc, I can't say I'm ever taken aback by their style. They don't dress badly, but it's not exactly anything to suggest they dress better or worse than anyone else tbh.

That's just in my experience though.

As people have mentioned, go to Zara if you're really worried about it.
Reply 19
OP if you're struggling with finding the right things for you then I would suggest looking in to stores which offer a personal shopper service, I know Debenhams had one.. Not sure if they still do.

They can help a lot with the right styles/colours etc for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending