The Student Room Group

Computer science at queens without A-Level maths

I was wondering has anyone on here done computer science without A-level maths?
I haven't even completed my GCSE's yet but i'm interested in doing computer science and i have to pick my A-Level choices in a few months.

I did my maths GCSE a year early and got an A but i'm not sure if i want to do maths at A-Level. I think doing it in one year has put me off maths :P

So if you did computer science without A-Level maths did you find you were behind those that did?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Mathematics is essential for computer science, especially if you want to study at a prestigious university. You do not need mathematics at A-level to study Computer Science at Queens University Belfast, but it is preferred.

I would highly recommend studying A-level mathematics as it will open up a lot more universities for you to apply to for Computer Science.
Original post by Jaqera
Mathematics is essential for computer science, especially if you want to study at a prestigious university. You do not need mathematics at A-level to study Computer Science at Queens University Belfast, but it is preferred.

I would highly recommend studying A-level mathematics as it will open up a lot more universities for you to apply to for Computer Science.

There are quite a few universities in the mainland where for Computer Science, Maths is rigidly required at A-level ie not optional.

From 2012 onwards, universities in the mainland will have tuition fees of nearly three times that of Queens, which im sure would influence the OP's opinion.

What I'm saying is, due to the fact that from 2012 onwards, Northern Irish students going to a uni in England/Scotland/Wales will be roughly three times the cost of them going to QUB or UU, I cant see too many people from NI wanting to apply to mainland unis.

EDIT: I should say that it has been anounced that NI fees stay at around £3,500 per year for 2012. What the fee situation will be after 2012 in NI hasnt been announced. Here's the full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14843377

I mean, would you be happy enough to go to a mainland uni and pay £9000 per year, when you could get the same qualification at a Northern irish University for £3500(roughly) per year??
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending