The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
where you thinking of applying to OP?
Reply 21
I got an A in Maths and an A in Physics in AS last year, but I want to do Mechanical Engineering. In Maths I will only be doing the first Mechanics module this year (because we did Stats 1 last year), so I was wondering if I will need to familiarise myself with M2 and even the Further Pure modules?
Original post by Desert Eagle
Mechanical Engineering is very difficult and demanding. You not only have to keep up with lectures, but you will have labs every week, and with each lab you'll have to write a technical report. On top of that there's loads of coursework throughout the year. I don't have any stats to show you, but in my course, nearly half the students failed the first year, and then around a quarter failed second year. Keep up with the workload and be sure to study with others and you'll be fine.

what uni did you go to ??
Reply 23
Original post by maloneyt
where you thinking of applying to OP?

Likely options are Leeds, Newcastle, Cardiff, Nottingham, Warwick and Exeter. Then maybe one of the Sheffield ones depending on whether they'll let me on, they're getting back to me.

Heard it's not as important as it is with other degrees when it comes to which Uni, so I'm basically trying to find the ones which are most convenient.

How bout you?
Original post by Desert Eagle
Mechanical Engineering is very difficult and demanding. You not only have to keep up with lectures, but you will have labs every week, and with each lab you'll have to write a technical report. On top of that there's loads of coursework throughout the year. I don't have any stats to show you, but in my course, nearly half the students failed the first year, and then around a quarter failed second year. Keep up with the workload and be sure to study with others and you'll be fine.

what sort stuff do you do in lab sessions?
Original post by Smack
Remember that a lot of people don't necessarily work that hard in first year.

Also remember that many people choose engineering because it's quite a mathematical degree, not because they actually want to be engineers or have much interest in engineering.

People that work hard and have an interest in the subject will be rewarded appropriately.

why don't they just pick maths then? :s-smilie:

unless they think maths is too difficult, which is weird because the common view is that engineering is just as tough.
Reply 26
Original post by pheonix254

One VERY important thing though. If you're going to be paying 2012 fees, you had damn well better make sure you do something that there are well paid jobs for, and that there is demand for. Engineering cuts it. David Beckham studies doesn't. If I were going again, I'd only do it if I did Engineering, Law or Medicine. Nothing else, IMHO, is worth the price they're asking, unless you want to stay in academia.
Stu Haynes, MEng MIET

I just stumbled onto this thread, and this passage caught my eye. I'm planning to apply to medicine anyway, so I'm not offended by your judgement on the utility of various disciplines, but I'm interested in your point of view. Even subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry, well respected, complex and intense and demanding degrees - would you say that they're not worth it nowadays?
Reply 27
Original post by Soggy Cherry
I really fancy doing an engineering degree, probably mechanical or automotive, but I was just wondering how difficult the degree will be?

Can anyone show me any websites that show pass rates for Universities like Leeds/Sheffield?

I just got an A at AS Maths but I'm still worried that it would be too difficult

Be really grateful for any replies

You will definitely need to be studying Physics or further maths to help you out on that course.
Reply 28
Original post by Iqbal007
You will definitely need to be studying Physics or further maths to help you out on that course.

To 'help me out' or to survive it?
It is difficult but having a thought in the mind, that one day you might be the one sending rockets into space is quite inspirational.
Reply 30
Original post by Julii92

Original post by Julii92
I just stumbled onto this thread, and this passage caught my eye. I'm planning to apply to medicine anyway, so I'm not offended by your judgement on the utility of various disciplines, but I'm interested in your point of view. Even subjects like Maths, Physics, Chemistry, well respected, complex and intense and demanding degrees - would you say that they're not worth it nowadays?

All those subjects are highly regarded aswell so don't let anyone tell you it's only Medicine, Law or Engineering that are worth it. That's quite frankly their opinion.

Remember that doing any of those subjects won't restrict or limit your future prospects to being a Mathematician or a Physicist or a Chemist. There are other graduate jobs that these graduates go on to do in the future. A maths or chemistry graduate could look into doing a law conversion after university if they want to become a barrister/solicitor/lawyer. They could even break into Investment Banking also.

So you have nothing to worry about if you are hoping to study any of those 3 :smile:
Original post by fuzzybear
why don't they just pick maths then? :s-smilie:

unless they think maths is too difficult, which is weird because the common view is that engineering is just as tough.

Because maths at good universities is a lot more difficult to get into. Compare the typical offers of each degree and you'll see that the maths one is usually higher at the same university.
Reply 32
Original post by Soggy Cherry
To 'help me out' or to survive it?

Survive it to be honest and get into a good uni....... as they are requirements at some unis.
With regards to the controversial quote I made which has caused a lot of discussion:

Firstly, of course that quote I made was an opinion. Its an opinion I stand by.
However - maths chemistry and physics- I have friends who studied all of them. Also courses like biomedical science, and all at prestigious universities.

However, without doubt, my friends who studied engineering found it easier- I'd say by a factor of 10 easier to get a job. Engineering is like studying physics/maths/chemistry but you'll get a job out of it. Why? because industry is geared toward engineering. Engineering is applied maths/physics/chemistry. its how to make money using maths/physics/chemistry, and agree or disagree- thats what makes the world tick. The advantage you have is that engineering courses have a lot of content like business, economics, management and law in them as well- it gives you the rounding, and that's what industry likes.

That's not to say that you shouldn't study maths/physics/chemistry, only that you'll be up against engineers when you apply for that job, and like it or not, they're going to be very tough competition, as far as an employer is concerned.

Hell, I was employed with a 2:1 in Engineering, over a guy with a 1st in physics, and we both had similar backgrounds.

Generally, it probably doesn't matter what you study- its what you're like as a person that will get you a job at the end, but an engineer can walk into a maths/physics or chemistry job (within reason) whereas a maths / physics / chemistry graduate couldn't necessarily walk into an engineering job. They're more restrictive, and the jobs requiring a specialization in maths/physics/chemistry are harder to find than you might think. Biology and biomedical science is very over-subscribed for the amount of jobs available at the end, as several of my friends have found out.

Put it this way- my friends with physics and chemistry degrees are not currently employed. I on the other hand, have around 3 job offers a week through online job sites (which I kindly turn down, as I have an employer anyway.) My engineering friends have gone into law, investment banking, started their own businesses, and a few of us have even gone into engineering. :P

I'm not trying to belittle the other degrees at all- they're useful, and we need some of them, however, if you're going to spend the same amount of money- which would you rather choose, job prospect wise? I'm very glad I did engineering - and as many of our lecturers said "I studied engineering over physics because there was a job at the end." I now see what they meant.

A lot of opinion there, but hopefully it has been quantified.
Reply 34
With regards to the controversial quote I made which has caused a lot of discussion:

Firstly, of course that quote I made was an opinion. Its an opinion I stand by.
However - maths chemistry and physics- I have friends who studied all of them. Also courses like biomedical science, and all at prestigious universities.

However, without doubt, my friends who studied engineering found it easier- I'd say by a factor of 10 easier to get a job. Engineering is like studying physics/maths/chemistry but you'll get a job out of it. Why? because industry is geared toward engineering. Engineering is applied maths/physics/chemistry. its how to make money using maths/physics/chemistry, and agree or disagree- thats what makes the world tick. The advantage you have is that engineering courses have a lot of content like business, economics, management and law in them as well- it gives you the rounding, and that's what industry likes.

That's not to say that you shouldn't study maths/physics/chemistry, only that you'll be up against engineers when you apply for that job, and like it or not, they're going to be very tough competition, as far as an employer is concerned.

Hell, I was employed with a 2:1 in Engineering, over a guy with a 1st in physics, and we both had similar backgrounds.

Generally, it probably doesn't matter what you study- its what you're like as a person that will get you a job at the end, but an engineer can walk into a maths/physics or chemistry job (within reason) whereas a maths / physics / chemistry graduate couldn't necessarily walk into an engineering job. They're more restrictive, and the jobs requiring a specialization in maths/physics/chemistry are harder to find than you might think. Biology and biomedical science is very over-subscribed for the amount of jobs available at the end, as several of my friends have found out.

Put it this way- my friends with physics and chemistry degrees are not currently employed. I on the other hand, have around 3 job offers a week through online job sites (which I kindly turn down, as I have an employer anyway.) My engineering friends have gone into law, investment banking, started their own businesses, and a few of us have even gone into engineering. :P

I'm not trying to belittle the other degrees at all- they're useful, and we need some of them, however, if you're going to spend the same amount of money- which would you rather choose, job prospect wise? I'm very glad I did engineering - and as many of our lecturers said "I studied engineering over physics because there was a job at the end." I now see what they meant.

A lot of opinion there, but hopefully it has been quantified.

Thanks for elaborating that point. Like I said, I'm applying for medicine anyway (one of your more worthwhile degrees :P) so I wasn't offended, I just found it an interesting point of view.

As a matter of fact, I was planning to apply to study maths as a backup, but I'm thinking of changing that to Mechanical Engineering after looking into it a bit more.
Reply 35
guiness book of records says mech engineering is hardest degree course
Original post by middlj

Original post by middlj
guiness book of records says mech engineering is hardest degree course

How did they work that out?!
Reply 37
would people say that chemical engineering is even harder than mechanical engineering?
Original post by schooled

Original post by schooled
would people say that chemical engineering is even harder than mechanical engineering?

I don't think so...
Put it this way- my friends with physics and chemistry degrees are not currently employed. I on the other hand, have around 3 job offers a week through online job sites

Do you have an amazing CV?

Latest

Trending

Trending