The Student Room Group

Tuition fees at Scottish Universities for UK (non Scottish) students from 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by seanfromtheblock
scottish uni courses are designed so that you go to them with highers (roughly AS) and not advanced highers (roughly A level), so you go after 5th year (year 11 I think)

Year 12 :wink:

almost nobody actually does that though, and just go after staying on for 6th year at high school, normally with a couple of advanced highers.

People do leave after S5, but it's definitely not the norm since a lot of people want to re-sit a Higher or pick up more.
Original post by ZombieCharge
Not if you've done three A-levels or three Advanced Highers. Also, check it's available for your course first.

So this is only the case with some subjects not all
Reply 22
Original post by LifeIsMyReligion
So this is only the case with some subjects not all

Yup, ranges slightly between institutions though. Did you check your own course though in case it does?
Yup, ranges slightly between institutions though. Did you check your own course though in case it does?

I cant find it anywhere on the uni of glasgow site so i guess not ive applied to economics/history
Reply 24
Original post by LifeIsMyReligion
I cant find it anywhere on the uni of glasgow site so i guess not ive applied to economics/history

Glasgow's fees are £6,750 per year.
I was told today that a 4 year degree at Glasgow will cost £26K
Reply 26
Original post by Attlee_party
I was told today that a 4 year degree at Glasgow will cost £26K

Yes, and a 3 year degree will cost £20,250.
Reply 27
Does anyone know how this affects postgrad? I am dual national irish/Northern irish and am thinking of a PhD or Masters in Edinburgh
Reply 28
Original post by brownrob
Does anyone know how this affects postgrad? I am dual national irish/Northern irish and am thinking of a PhD or Masters in Edinburgh

Postgrad isn't involved in any of this, so in other words - hasn't changed. Your dual nationality is irrelevant, where you've lived for the past three years is though but for postgrad you'll probably pay the same regardless whether you live in Northern or Southern Ireland anyway. Phone/Email uni for confirmation but maybe someone else on here might be more certain about this.
Reply 29

Postgrad isn't involved in any of this, so in other words - hasn't changed. Your dual nationality is irrelevant, where you've lived for the past three years is though but for postgrad you'll probably pay the same regardless whether you live in Northern or Southern Ireland anyway. Phone/Email uni for confirmation but maybe someone else on here might be more certain about this.

you're pretty much spot on. Fees are the same for home or EU students, so doesn't matter whether brownrob lived in Ireland or Northern Ireland. Fees for postgrad courses are likely to increase though, every uni can set postgrad fees however much they like.

When it comes to applying for a funded PhD, where he lived may however become important as some (PhD) funding is only available to UK residents, e.g. EU students get the tuition fee but the full stipend is only available for home students.
Reply 30
Thanks guys
Reply 31
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Nicck
Well i was wondering are home-eu applicant with the new fees going to be less competitive because they pay less money than Ruk ones to the uni?

What are you talking about? I hardly understand a word you're saying, also which new fees are you referring to in this context?
I have a confusing situation and ask if anyone could help me find out if I'm elegible. I was Born in England, My Parents are from the Republic Of Ireland. I lived in Germany until I was 6 Year Old, and I've lived in England ever since. Am I eligible for free education in Scotland ?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest