The Student Room Group

Tuition fees at Scottish Universities for UK (non Scottish) students from 2012

Tuition Fees [2012+ Entry]
For Scottish and non-UK EU Students: £1,820 but the Scottish Government are willing to pay these for you if you apply to SAAS.
For RUK (Rest of UK) students (English/Welsh/Northern Irish): See spoiler below.

Spoiler

International Students: Differs between universities and courses (see university website/prospectus).

Rules for Tuition Fees in Scotland

To qualify to have your tuition fees paid for by the Scottish Government you must have lived in Scotland or an EU country for at least three years prior to starting your course. Under EU law, EU students have to be treated the same as the home students of that country. England, Wales and Northern Ireland are not EU countries in their own right and are therefore not covered by this law.

If you started an undergraduate course in 2011 or prior to that in Scotland you will continue to pay the same tuition fees for the rest of your degree, the 2012 fees don't affect you.

Eligibility for EU Applicants

Spoiler

Countries Involved

Spoiler

Hope this is helpful for you. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for the information!
Do you know when the other Universities will announce their tuition fees?
DH tells me Abertay has announced fees of £7000 for 2012. I know in the UK the fees at the start of your course of study are the fees you pay for the entire course - or do I have that wrong?

September 2012. Students applying in 2011 who defer entry to 2012 will have to pay the increased fees. But students who have begun their courses before 2012 will not be affected in their later years of study.

Is it the same in Scotland? Will DSs fees for next year rise to £7000 if he carries on with his course at Abertay?

Worried Mom
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Momofafreshman
DH tells me Abertay has announced fees of £7000 for 2012. I know in the UK the fees at the start of your course of study are the fees you pay for the entire course - or do I have that wrong?

Is it the same in Scotland? Will DSs fees for next year rise to £7000 if he carries on with his course at Abertay?

Worried Mom

You are correct, they cannot and do not change the fees midway through a degree! If you are paying £3000 at the beginning and change fees to £9000 then you still pay £3000 for the remainder of the degree, even in Scotland.
What a relief! I thought it was that way but it's been quite hard to find any statement specifically for Scottish Unis via Google. I wonder - is there some definitive statement online on some official page you know of that you could link me to? I cal tell DH, but I'd feel better if I could include a link :smile:

Cheers for the answer in any case. I do appreciate it.
Reply 5
Original post by Momofafreshman
What a relief! I thought it was that way but it's been quite hard to find any statement specifically for Scottish Unis via Google. I wonder - is there some definitive statement online on some official page you know of that you could link me to? I cal tell DH, but I'd feel better if I could include a link :smile:

Cheers for the answer in any case. I do appreciate it.

Email the University(ies) and they will reply with a DEFINITE answer!
Reply 6
Tuition Fees [2012 Entry]

For Scottish and non-UK EU Students: £1,820 but the Scottish Government are willing to pay these for you if you apply to SAAS.

Hello,
I am a non-UK EU student and I`ve registered just to ask this. What do you mean by 'paying' my tuition fees? In form of a grant or a loan?
Original post by daftcookie

Original post by daftcookie
Tuition Fees [2012 Entry]

Hello,
I am a non-UK EU student and I`ve registered just to ask this. What do you mean by 'paying' my tuition fees? In form of a grant or a loan?

Its a grant that you don't have to pay back. Basically, you have to apply to SAAS in the spring time before starting university in the September. They will then arrange for your tuition fees to be paid by the Scottish government to the university. The word 'pay' is confusing, I agree. As long as you apply for funding by the correct date you will have all of your tuition fees paid by the government, so you will not have to pay anything at all. It isn't a loan like you'd get if you wanted to study elsewhere in the UK. Its free.
Hi im looking to apply to uni of Glasgow but they do 4 yr degrees and was wondering if i would have to pay 9k more for the 4th yr
Glasgow haven't said how much they're going to charge UK students yet, but if they follow Edinburgh and charge 9k fees, then yes.

If you're from a different EU country though it will remain free.

If you're from a country outside the EU it will cost ****loads, like 14k a year.
Reply 10
Original post by LifeIsMyReligion
Hi im looking to apply to uni of Glasgow but they do 4 yr degrees and was wondering if i would have to pay 9k more for the 4th yr

You would if you were to go to Edinburgh, but I think all other Scottish universities are planning to waive the fee for the fourth year.
Edit: Never mind, I just checked, and Sean is right. Glasgow haven't fully decided yet.
(edited 12 years ago)
Remember that even if they do waive the 4th year fee, you'll still be down by an extra year's living costs.
Reply 12
Just about to post this question myself... there really is no useful information that I can find, only that Glasgow publishes a table each February. Not very helpful if your application has to be in by the 15th of January. I guess you just have to chose whether take a gamble or play it safe
Reply 13
Original post by Peedizzle
Just about to post this question myself... there really is no useful information that I can find, only that Glasgow publishes a table each February.

This will be when the university has published information for the years that fees will only have risen to take inflation into account. I would expect an announcement much sooner rather than later......
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
9K (to stop a deluge of applicants from england)

as has been said there is a fee waiver for year 4.
Original post by hobnob
You would if you were to go to Edinburgh, but I think all other Scottish universities are planning to waive the fee for the fourth year.
Edit: Never mind, I just checked, and Sean is right. Glasgow haven't fully decided yet.

St Andrews will charge for the full 4 years.
Reply 16

Glasgow hasn't announced their 2012 fees.

You can apply for second year entry.
Original post by ZombieCharge
Glasgow hasn't announced their 2012 fees.

You can apply for second year entry.

How would that work wouldn't i be a whole year behind everyone else
Reply 18

Not if you've done three A-levels or three Advanced Highers. Also, check it's available for your course first.

scottish uni courses are designed so that you go to them with highers (roughly AS) and not advanced highers (roughly A level), so you go after 5th year (year 11 I think)

almost nobody actually does that though, and just go after staying on for 6th year at high school, normally with a couple of advanced highers.

Quick Reply

Latest