The Student Room Group

Nice fuzzy Bio for Mature/Any Law Student who aims to be a Barrister

From Essex Uni website

Anne Gray (LLB in Law, 2004)

I wanted to return to university to broaden my knowledge and gain a qualification that would help me find a job. I was also worried about “empty nest syndrome” when my children left home, as I had been a full-time wife and mother, having taught my five children at home until they reached 11.

I studied Law at Essex because it was a good course and the location was convenient. At the time my youngest son was at school in Ipswich, which was halfway between my home and the University so on most days I could take him to and from school.

When I look back on my time as a student at Essex I think fondly about the courses I took, the extra-curricular activities offered on campus and the convenience of having everything on one site (particularly the shops and food outlets) but it probably the ambience of the University that stands out most. So many of the staff showed that individuals do matter and I was not treated just as a number. In my experience, mature students were welcomed wholeheartedly. We were listened to and our particular needs accommodated, so that allowances were made for dealing with family crises and we were not an “added extra” to the student population but very much part of it.

Since my graduation I studied for the Bar Vocational Course at BPP Law School in London, was called to the Bar by Gray’s Inn in the Trinity Term and have now started a twelve-month pupillage at East Anglian Chambers.

My advice to anyone thinking of becoming a mature student go for it, you will surprise yourself!

:biggrin: :cool: :p:
congratulations on your pupillage
I don't think it's bookshelf's bio. Bookshelf's status is male and the title of the bio is Anne Gray (LLB in Law, 2004). But hey, I'm all for a modern society :wink: Congradulations to Anne, whoever she is, I am very impressed :biggrin:
Reply 3
I am not the person in the bio! :eek:

But congratulations to Anne.

I remember there being a significant thread here about the chances of becoming a barrister being disadvantaged by not being an Oxbridge graduate etc ...... I was just highlighting a case of a mature non-Oxbridge student making into thru the mire and realising a dream!

:cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending