The Student Room Group

Anyone on here doing German AS with AQA?

Hiya there,

I just wondered as am currently doing this through distance learning and unfortunately I haven't got any contact with those who are doing the same course as me through Craven College. I plan to do the AS exams in January and then the A2 next June if at all possible. I have also been reading some of the posts on here about 'Ich fühle mich so fifty-fifty' and haven't been put off doing it yet for my A2! I must admit I am finding it quite a challenge seeing as I only started learning properly back in about March time (did my GCSE this summer and got an A*, God knows how cos my German is rubbish!).

Anyway, hopefully someone will answer!

Jordan :smile:
Reply 1
Is no one doing this here?!
I just did my AS and got an A grade (A in oral, B in written paper - though 3 ums off of A!).. what sort of advice are you seeking?
Reply 3
Original post by rubadubdub
I just did my AS and got an A grade (A in oral, B in written paper - though 3 ums off of A!).. what sort of advice are you seeking?

That's very good! Well, I guess I'm just wondering who's doing it. I'm much more used to Romance languages (did my degree in Spanish and Italian and also have an A in A-Level French), and so German has proven difficult to me, but I think I'm getting the hand of it now (just submitted my third essay about 'Kommunicationstechnologie' to my tutor!) and have had good results for the first two essays; I'm just worried about my speaking and listening tbh as I think the rest will come with time.
I've always found Spanish rather hard - that, or the numerous number of different Spanish teachers I had at school. But I find German to be relatively easy as there are lots of cognates and it's just great reading something as it's written!
I think the topics at AS aren't particularly riveting or exciting but hey ho!
Original post by rubadubdub
I've always found Spanish rather hard - that, or the numerous number of different Spanish teachers I had at school. But I find German to be relatively easy as there are lots of cognates and it's just great reading something as it's written!
I think the topics at AS aren't particularly riveting or exciting but hey ho!

They're not too bad. A2 is more fun though. I'll probably change my mind when we start the translation.
Reply 6
Original post by .snowflake.
They're not too bad. A2 is more fun though. I'll probably change my mind when we start the translation.

I guess they're just aimed at 16-17 year olds, which is obviously normal, but I mean my next essay is going to be about the cinema, which I never go to (nor do I watch any films, so it's going to be one interesting essay lol). I did try and do my third essay about 'Kommunicationstechnologie' in 45 minutes last night, and managed to do it in 55, although then had to edit it on the computer, so it did take longer than that, and I'm planning to do the AS exams in January :eek:
Original post by chicoinglés
I guess they're just aimed at 16-17 year olds, which is obviously normal, but I mean my next essay is going to be about the cinema, which I never go to (nor do I watch any films, so it's going to be one interesting essay lol). I did try and do my third essay about 'Kommunicationstechnologie' in 45 minutes last night, and managed to do it in 55, although then had to edit it on the computer, so it did take longer than that, and I'm planning to do the AS exams in January :eek:

Good luck with the exam! I hope the essay questions are nice - unlike june- and I don't have a mild ear infection.
Reply 8
Good luck with the exam! I hope the essay questions are nice - unlike june- and I don't have a mild ear infection.

Let's hope so yeah! Am on to cinema now - and not liking it very much! Let's hope you don't because that would make things a lot worse!
Let's hope so yeah! Am on to cinema now - and not liking it very much! Let's hope you don't because that would make things a lot worse!

I did in june, made the listening a bugger to do. Misread rat = advice as Rad = bike. Made for some... interesting answers.
I did in june, made the listening a bugger to do. Misread rat = advice as Rad = bike. Made for some... interesting answers.

I bet it did! Oops(!) Let's hope it's easier this time!
I bet it did! Oops(!) Let's hope it's easier this time!

Same!
Same!

Yup, I got my 3rd essay back today too and my teacher said that her comments are quite strict but only because she says she is writing them with a grade A in mind, so I guess I should be quite happy! Just need to improve on my content tbh, as my grammar, vocab and structures are all very good according to her, but the content obviously needs to be better so I can get really good marks for grammar, vocab and structures too!
Yup, I got my 3rd essay back today too and my teacher said that her comments are quite strict but only because she says she is writing them with a grade A in mind, so I guess I should be quite happy! Just need to improve on my content tbh, as my grammar, vocab and structures are all very good according to her, but the content obviously needs to be better so I can get really good marks for grammar, vocab and structures too!

For the content, put lots of examples into your essays. It's something I did without realising once, and got 26/35.
For the content, put lots of examples into your essays. It's something I did without realising once, and got 26/35.

Thanks a lot, I will certainly try to when it comes about writing about 'Kino'! :smile: Thanks again for all your help! You're a star! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys
I'm currently retaking my AS german oral with AQA and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find, or has a fairly extensive list of questions you could get asked in the oral exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending