Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

anxiety and uni

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014

I am starting uni in a week and i am terrified.

I have panic disorder, which is basically a debilitating fear of having a panic attack. it doesn't sound serious compared to others, but it has made me fear going anywhere without family members or anywhere i feel uncomfortable. I will be going to kcl in london, so i know that i will be able to get counselling/medicine quite quickly but I want to try without it

does anybody have any advice about dealing with it?:eek:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I am starting uni in a week and i am terrified.

I have panic disorder, which is basically a debilitating fear of having a panic attack. it doesn't sound serious compared to others, but it has made me fear going anywhere without family members or anywhere i feel uncomfortable. I will be going to kcl in london, so i know that i will be able to get counselling/medicine quite quickly but I want to try without it

does anybody have any advice about dealing with it?:eek:
    Hi there, I've just finished my first year at University and I too have a panic disorder. University is scary enough for most people, let alone if you have a panic disorder! I also had agoraphobia, which is a fear of being unable to escape any given situation. So being left at university when I moved in during Fresher's Week was panic inducing as it was!

I don't know if you are comfortable with talking about your disorder, but I personally experienced an amazing response from my university about it. Talk to your uni's disability team and they should help you get things like extra time/breaks in exams.

If you have been 'formally diagnosed' by a psychiatrist or clinical psychologist, you are eligible for Disabled Student's Allowance, have you looked into this?

I also found it helpful to visit the uni as much as possible before I moved in, make sure that the environment wasn't going to panic me. Try to find flatmates on Facebook.

Basically, be as prepared as possible so very little will throw you on the move in day/first few weeks.

If you need anymore help, please message me because I do completely relate to how nervous you are feeling. It gets easier as you settle in and you can deal with it

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 11, 2011
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.