The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
If you get caught out (and there is a reasonable chance of that) then your application can be cancelled - if you've already started the course then you can be expelled for lying or not provding all the information asked for in your application.

Also your referee has to sign off that your qualifications section is accurate and complete - so you risk getting your school/college in trouble as well.

Put the grades down on your form. The risks of lying (through omission) are much greater than the risks of telling the truth.

I will be applying for international management so do you think that science fail and maths retake would put off universities? Like will they think that I'm not smart enough? I'm really nervous about this whole thing.
And could someone please tell me how do universities find out whether I have mentioned all of my qualifications or not? Thanks x
Original post by shopoholic
I will be applying for international management so do you think that science fail and maths retake would put off universities? Like will they think that I'm not smart enough? I'm really nervous about this whole thing.
And could someone please tell me how do universities find out whether I have mentioned all of my qualifications or not? Thanks x

Ask them - the universities are the only source of information about what they find acceptable. It is very unlikely that this will matter so long as your final qualifications meet their requirements. Lying on your application DOES matter - if you aren't honest and up front when applying then how can they trust that you are cheating when you submit work. When you graduate from a university then you're an ambassador for that university - they don't want cheats representing them to the world.

As for how it could get found out:
a) your referee might refuse to sign off your application as the education section is incomplete
b) if you're applying outside of a school (without your referee signing off on your qualifications) then you usually have to present your GCSE and A level certificates when enrolling.
c) there's nothing to stop a university cross checking with the exam boards
d) you're being pretty explicit about wanting to submit a fraudulent application for a not very common course on a public website
e) you have no idea what might come to light at any point about your application

Trusting to luck to let you get away with cheating is not only attempted fraud it is just STUPID. Just submit a FULL and HONEST application.
Original post by PQ
Ask them - the universities are the only source of information about what they find acceptable. It is very unlikely that this will matter so long as your final qualifications meet their requirements. Lying on your application DOES matter - if you aren't honest and up front when applying then how can they trust that you are cheating when you submit work. When you graduate from a university then you're an ambassador for that university - they don't want cheats representing them to the world.

As for how it could get found out:
a) your referee might refuse to sign off your application as the education section is incomplete
b) if you're applying outside of a school (without your referee signing off on your qualifications) then you usually have to present your GCSE and A level certificates when enrolling.
c) there's nothing to stop a university cross checking with the exam boards
d) you're being pretty explicit about wanting to submit a fraudulent application for a not very common course on a public website
e) you have no idea what might come to light at any point about your application

Trusting to luck to let you get away with cheating is not only attempted fraud it is just STUPID. Just submit a FULL and HONEST application.

Thank you! I'm applying as an individual, so does that mean I will have to submit my certificates when enrolling? My school hasn't prepared them yet and they take very long for preparing certificates
Thank you! I'm applying as an individual, so does that mean I will have to submit my certificates when enrolling? My school hasn't prepared them yet and they take very long for preparing certificates

Usually yes - because there's no sign off on your qualifications by your referee then you'll have to show proof at some point.

Please don't omit anything you've been asked for on your application - the risks are huge and the pay off is miniscule. And you'd be pretty pissed off if you got to university and found out they'd deliberately not told you something about the course.
Original post by PQ
Usually yes - because there's no sign off on your qualifications by your referee then you'll have to show proof at some point.

Please don't omit anything you've been asked for on your application - the risks are huge and the pay off is miniscule. And you'd be pretty pissed off if you got to university and found out they'd deliberately not told you something about the course.

Thank you, I will put all my qualifications then. I also did maths core in y10 and then maths extended in y11 and then another retake of maths extended in November of y12. Will that look weird on my application?
And do people applying through school get some kind of preference over the ones applying as individuals?
Oh and I also did a math SAT but that was outside school. Does it need to be mentioned as well? Even though it wasn't really 'academic'
Reply 486
Oh and I also did a math SAT but that was outside school. Does it need to be mentioned as well? Even though it wasn't really 'academic'
Unless you have a nationally recognised certificate for it, that's something you don't need to include.
Reply 487
Is there a similar thread for mature students on second degree or MA?? What happens if i have to apply to some unis through UCAS and some others through CUCAS? Do the deadlines much?
Reply 488
Original post by Minerva
Unless you have a nationally recognised certificate for it, that's something you don't need to include.

What about this Certificate? Can i include it in my application somehow?
https://www.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/CS50x/2012/about
Reply 489
Original post by Vasso
Is there a similar thread for mature students on second degree or MA?? What happens if i have to apply to some unis through UCAS and some others through CUCAS? Do the deadlines much?
I've no idea if the deadines match, but mature students applying through UCAS are subject to the same rules as everyone else. Your UCAS and CUCAS applications will be separate and independent of each other.

Original post by Vasso
What about this Certificate? Can i include it in my application somehow?
https://www.edx.org/courses/HarvardX/CS50x/2012/about
You can include it under 'other' qualifications, whether achieved or pending, though I would question what value it will add to your UCAS application (can't speak for CUCAS, I've no knowledge of that). You should check with the unis you intend to apply to whether they would take any notice of it. If you are thinking of doing it alongside the standard stuff eg A levels or IB I'd say forget it. Better to concentrate on getting the best grades you can on your mainstream examinations. If you are returning to study after a long gap (more than three years), it could be a way of demonstrating your commitment and aptitude, but I really would still check with the unis first that they are aware of the course and think it's useful/relevant. No point in wasting your time or money on it if they don't.
Reply 490
Original post by Minerva
I've no idea if the deadines match, but mature students applying through UCAS are subject to the same rules as everyone else. Your UCAS and CUCAS applications will be separate and independent of each other.

You can include it under 'other' qualifications, whether achieved or pending, though I would question what value it will add to your UCAS application (can't speak for CUCAS, I've no knowledge of that). You should check with the unis you intend to apply to whether they would take any notice of it. If you are thinking of doing it alongside the standard stuff eg A levels or IB I'd say forget it. Better to concentrate on getting the best grades you can on your mainstream examinations. If you are returning to study after a long gap (more than three years), it could be a way of demonstrating your commitment and aptitude, but I really would still check with the unis first that they are aware of the course and think it's useful/relevant. No point in wasting your time or money on it if they don't.

Thank you very much for your answer! :smile:

I am interested in applying for some BA courses but i am thinking of not taking any A Levels. I already hold a BA and a PG cert and i believe i can get accepted with those alone.

However i would like to ask you if you know how many UCAS points will a BA (242 ECTS) and a PG cert (80 ECTS) get when you apply for a second BA as a mature candidate.
(edited 11 years ago)
I heard, just recently, that if you get AAB then you are guaranteed a university place. Or there are unlimited places. Is this true (I heard this was new)?
Reply 492
Original post by Vasso
Thank you very much for your answer! :smile:

I am interested in applying for some BA courses but i am thinking of not taking any A Levels. I already hold a BA and a PG cert and i believe i can get accepted with those alone.

However i would like to ask you if you know how many UCAS points will a BA (242 ECTS) and a PG cert (80 ECTS) get when you apply for a second BA as a mature candidate.
UCAS points don't apply to degrees. What the unis will be interested in is the classification of those degrees and they may ask for a detailed transcript - you can enter the module details and grades on UCAS (you have to select 'other' qualification before you will be able to enter the name of the university and degree subjects).

Original post by MrBlueMo0n
I heard, just recently, that if you get AAB then you are guaranteed a university place. Or there are unlimited places. Is this true (I heard this was new)?
No-one is guaranteed a university place. What is happening is that (except for subjects like Medicine) the government has removed the restrictions on the numbers of students with ABB grades or better at A level an individual uni can take for 2013 entry. In practice unis will still set limits on their numbers for a variety of reasons (eg not enough lab space, not enough teaching staff, not wanting to 'devalue the currency' of a place at their uni') but overall this policy is likely to improve your chances of securing a place at a higher ranked university, if you have the grades.
What happens if i accidentally misplaced my BUZZWORD??
Original post by Minerva

Hi :smile:

i have a question, I achieved an AS grade for English a few years ago.
I am retaking english a level this year, finishing next summer but it is on a different specification. will i still need to include the AS English in 2009?
If i do, i also retook one of the modules from 2009 in January 2010, but was ill on the day so completely failed it and got a lower mark. as it was a lower mark would i also still need to declare that one? Also I was entered an exam for A2 levels, but didn't turn up. This meant I =gained a U for the A2 Level as i didn't sit it! however as I got an A in the AS it averaged out as an E. Would i need to declare the whole A2 as an E? or just fill in AS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 495
Original post by bananaterracottapie
Hi :smile:

i have a question, I achieved an AS grade for English a few years ago.
I am retaking english a level this year, finishing next summer but it is on a different specification. will i still need to include the AS English in 2009? Yes.
If i do, i also retook one of the modules from 2009 in January 2010, but was ill on the day so completely failed it and got a lower mark. as it was a lower mark would i also still need to declare that one? If you got a new certificate with a lower overall grade, strictly speaking you should enter it. Also I was entered an exam for A2 levels, but didn't turn up. This meant I =gained a U for the A2 Level as i didn't sit it! however as I got an A in the AS it averaged out as an E. Would i need to declare the whole A2 as an E? or just fill in AS. If you got a certificate for the A level at grade E you must enter it, and enter the AS separately as the A grade.
See comments above.

Latest

Trending

Trending