The Student Room Group

URGENT! think ive made a huge mistake with english lit AS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mamma_mia123

Hey,
Basically, ive chosen maths,bio, chem and englsih lit, and i just feel its gonna be way too hard. Having to read 4 novels before christmas, alongside having exams in january and producing two pieces of c/wrk aswell as extra curricular activites. So i was thinking of changing to RS philosophy and ethica or geog or even french. I would like to become a teacher, or barrister or pharmacist, will i be disadvantaged at all? I want to contibue with maths, chem and probably biology, which essay subject would be best tl take alongside these then?
Thankw :smile:

Can I ask what exam board you are for English Lit?
Reply 41
Original post by Pheebs1201
hmm well you'd only need to take it to AS, drop it and take up a new AS alongside your A2s and then you'll have a bigger range of subjects. Plus if you're dissatisfied with your AS grade you can retake during your A2 year :smile:

I really dont knoq :/ is it worth taking a lnguage only up to AS? Or even an essay subject?
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Source?

Well, it's debatable and that is definitely my opinion. From my experience, I know many of my friends whose university choices were limited by taking RS unless it was for a course like Philosophy, Theology, or maybe PPE.

This lays out a pretty interesting debate about whether RS is a 'soft' choice :smile: :

http://www.thetablet.co.uk/pdf/4754
Reply 43
Original post by Kelly95
Can I ask what exam board you are for English Lit?

AQA Lit B :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by malvika111
Well, it's debatable and that is definitely my opinion. From my experience, I know many of my friends whose university choices were limited by taking RS unless it was for a course like Philosophy, Theology, or maybe PPE.

This lays out a pretty interesting debate about whether RS is a 'soft' choice :smile: :

I jus want it to demonstrate my essay writing ability...
I really dont knoq :/ is it worth taking a lnguage only up to AS? Or even an essay subject?

Yes, it is worth it.

What about English Language or Lang/Lit instead?
Reply 46
Well done! What did you get a gcse for english lit? Ans thankyou, ill need it! :P

A*, but again through copying what my teacher said! As I said before I find it quite scientific, point quote analysis and remembering thematic concerns is really just like applying concepts in biology! :smile:
Reply 47
Yes, it is worth it.

What about English Language or Lang/Lit instead?

They ddont offer the combined a leevel at school, nd ive always preferred lit to lnguage :P what would you do if you were me?
Original post by malvika111

You shouldn't really be giving advice on classifications if it's your personal opinion. It's considered absolutely fine by Cambridge so I can't see many problems with it. Surely for a lawyer studying ethical implications and having wider knowledge of culture is a good thing?
Reply 49
What matters more, the subject or the grade?
Original post by charlie9872
I got a C in AS english without reading one of the books or poems. I also did pretty average on my coursework. If you're good at writing essays, English really isn't a hard subject.

In theory this is true. However, you have exam boards that mark your work based on which examiner happens to be marking at the time.

OP, just drop it and take something else.
They ddont offer the combined a leevel at school, nd ive always preferred lit to lnguage :P what would you do if you were me?

I'd stick with English and ask for extra help if I needed it.
What matters more, the subject or the grade?

A grade C in History or any traditional subject looks better than an A* in Media Studies any day.
Reply 53
A grade C in History or any traditional subject looks better than an A* in Media Studies any day.

An A in RSor a B/C in english lit?
An A in RSor a B/C in english lit?

It depends more on what you apply for, but generally an A in RS.
Reply 55
I'd stick with English and ask for extra help if I needed it.

The volume of work alongside my other subjects just seems too much :/
Reply 56
It depends more on what you apply for, but generally an A in RS.

Applying for medicine, teaching, law or oharmacy/dentristy
Applying for medicine, teaching, law or oharmacy/dentristy

Bio, Chem, Maths, RS should be fine, then. :smile:
Reply 58
I did those 4 subjects at AS, and I found english lit to be a great escapism from the other 3 subjects and I think that the choice to do them keeps your options as open as possible. And as for the work load, it isn't too bad as long as you keep on top of it and your revision technique is succint but useful. I also didn't find the sciencey subjects too demanding, and so having only one essay writing subject isn't too bad :smile:
Reply 59
Bio, Chem, Maths, RS should be fine, then. :smile:

They seem a little restricting :P

Quick Reply

Latest