The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL History 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kylewstorey
I think it may be...I have a friend going for V101 who hasn't heard from UCL as of yet.

There's been an awful amount of UCL rejections, and I would suggest that they choose the successful applicants by process of elimination - if I'm correct, then so are you by saying: "no news is good news"!

That's exactly what I was implying, I think they're slowly culling off the applicants. Which is terrifying. UCL are so competitive, but I maintain hope! Massive congratulations, is UCL your first choice?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Thanks mate! It is, though I'm yet to hear from Warwick, but I have my heart set on UCL completely...I mean, it's UCL!! Would it be yours?
Reply 42
I was just wondering if somebody could help, I've applied for history and have received a questionnaire.. do you need to reference all your quotes and, if so, does that affect the word count?
Reply 43
Rejected by UCL (on track!!! Not even a letter or email!!!). Slightly confused to be honest because my questionnaire and personal statement were good (at least my History teacher thought so), not to mention I got 3A*s 1 A at A-level (380/400 in History). Good luck to everyone else here though, I'm really not sure what more I could have done. Oh well, I'm still hopeful for LSE, which is ranked more highly for History anyway (at least nationally).
Reply 44
Original post by mamba123
Rejected by UCL (on track!!! Not even a letter or email!!!). Slightly confused to be honest because my questionnaire and personal statement were good (at least my History teacher thought so), not to mention I got 3A*s 1 A at A-level (380/400 in History). Good luck to everyone else here though, I'm really not sure what more I could have done. Oh well, I'm still hopeful for LSE, which is ranked more highly for History anyway (at least nationally).

Exact same situation here, mate. Rather baffling in my opinion, I'd have at least preferred an e-mail! Useless to get angry over it now though, they've obviously got their selection criteria and we've failed to meet it, one way or another. Disappointing to say the least, but I'm glad I got some closure. Regardless, best of luck to those still waiting for a reply and to those that got offers!
Thanks mate! It is, though I'm yet to hear from Warwick, but I have my heart set on UCL completely...I mean, it's UCL!! Would it be yours?

UCL for me too, though I'm terrified now because the people above have got rejected with pretty good grades, hopefully my good module scores will help me out haha!
I got fairly high module scores, particularly in History, so it might help. I'm sure you'll be fine!
Reply 47
Original post by confusedexcited
UCL for me too, though I'm terrified now because the people above have got rejected with pretty good grades, hopefully my good module scores will help me out haha!

History (380/400)- A*

AS HISTORY 1 OPTION B - 98/100
AS HISTORY 2 OPTION A - 96/100
A2 HISTORY 3 OPTION A - 108/120
A2 HISTORY 4 - 78/80

English (366/400)- A*

AS ENG LIT: POETRY & PROSE 1800-1945 - 94/120
AS ENG LIT: LITERATURE POST-1900 - 77/80
A2 ENG LIT:biggrin:RAMA & POETRY PRE-1800 - 120/120
A2 ENG LIT:Texts in Time - 75/80

Government & Politics (367/400)- A*

AS GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 1 - 88/100
AS GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 2 - 92/100
A2 GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 3 OPTION C - 87/100
A2 GOVERNMENT & POLITICS 4 OPTION C - 100/100

Latin (330/400)- A

AS LATIN LANGUAGE - 88/100
AS LATIN VERSE & PROSE LIT - 86/100
A2 LATIN VERSE - 77/100
A2 LATIN PROSE - 79/100

That might be of interest to you, I copied them from my questionnaire... and it wasn't as if my answers to that were bad either... I'd post them but people are probably still filling theirs out. I'm really gutted because I really wanted an offer :frown: Might send them an email to ask where it all went wrong...
Original post by mamba123

That might be of interest to you, I copied them from my questionnaire... and it wasn't as if my answers to that were bad either... I'd post them but people are probably still filling theirs out. I'm really gutted because I really wanted an offer :frown: Might send them an email to ask where it all went wrong...

I would, if I were you. I got 100/100 in both my AS history modules, which will help me out (hopefully) and similar (though not 100%) in my other exams. Perhaps they don't favour people who take gap years, I have heard that before. Really sorry to hear that man, it has shaken my confidence quite a bit! when did you find out?

I got fairly high module scores, particularly in History, so it might help. I'm sure you'll be fine!

Well, wish me luck!
Reply 49
I would, if I were you. I got 100/100 in both my AS history modules, which will help me out (hopefully) and similar (though not 100%) in my other exams. Perhaps they don't favour people who take gap years, I have heard that before. Really sorry to hear that man, it has shaken my confidence quite a bit! when did you find out?

Well, wish me luck!

Wow, well if you get rejected, that really would be taking the piss... I'm pretty sure you'll get an offer though haha, I mean if you don't, who can? I found out today at about 12:30... ah well heigh ho.
Reply 50
Oh dear, I have terrible results by those standards! I know I could meet their offer this year, but I doubt if that's really good enough. Does anyone know what UCL are like about reapplying?
Original post by molly.
Oh dear, I have terrible results by those standards! I know I could meet their offer this year, but I doubt if that's really good enough. Does anyone know what UCL are like about reapplying?

I wouldn't worry, I think they're looking for more than just good marks! I don't know, I don't think they're huge fans of gap years.
I really think there's no real way of telling why they accept some people and reject others - it's a rigorous process for a reason, I guess (I'm not sure about statistics, but I think they're seriously oversubscribed), and so many great applicants get rejected for reasons unknown. I'd guess that the most important part of the process is the questionnaire itself. :smile:

I got made an offer last with 100/100 and 82/100 in my AS History, and I applied for deferred entry. I'm pretty sure they've edited their website since, but when I applied they were very encouraging of gap years! It's just a mysterious process, I suppose. :s-smilie:
Original post by darkestskies
I really think there's no real way of telling why they accept some people and reject others - it's a rigorous process for a reason, I guess (I'm not sure about statistics, but I think they're seriously oversubscribed), and so many great applicants get rejected for reasons unknown. I'd guess that the most important part of the process is the questionnaire itself. :smile:

I got made an offer last with 100/100 and 82/100 in my AS History, and I applied for deferred entry. I'm pretty sure they've edited their website since, but when I applied they were very encouraging of gap years! It's just a mysterious process, I suppose. :s-smilie:

I'd agree with this entirely, I think it's something like 15-1 on V101 :s-smilie: Congratulations on having an offer though, was the offer AAA?
I'd agree with this entirely, I think it's something like 15-1 on V101 :s-smilie: Congratulations on having an offer though, was the offer AAA?

It's crazy! :s-smilie: And yes, it was AAA. In fact, I wasn't aware of anyone else in the 2011 cycle (on TSR, at least) who had been made the A*AA offer. :rolleyes: I'm not sure about this cycle, though!
It's crazy! :s-smilie: And yes, it was AAA. In fact, I wasn't aware of anyone else in the 2011 cycle (on TSR, at least) who had been made the A*AA offer. :rolleyes: I'm not sure about this cycle, though!

Oh you lucky (read: I'm jealous of your offer) thing! I'd love a AAA offer, 'cause then I could relax massively and not panic about the summer exams! A* are obscene to achieve. I applied to V104, so I've no idea what my offer will be as I've neither heard nor seen anyone receiving offers for that course. Massive congratulations on getting your offer though, with any luck i'll see you in october!
Oh you lucky (read: I'm jealous of your offer) thing! I'd love a AAA offer, 'cause then I could relax massively and not panic about the summer exams! A* are obscene to achieve. I applied to V104, so I've no idea what my offer will be as I've neither heard nor seen anyone receiving offers for that course. Massive congratulations on getting your offer though, with any luck i'll see you in october!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! :smile: A*s are certainly stressful... hopefully they'll do what they did last year. :redface:

But I sadly won't be seeing you in October - I actually applied to defer in 2010 (when I said last year, I meant last academic year, d'oh *hasn't adjusted to 2012 yet*); I'm on my gap year now (and I'm not going to UCL, as much as I love the place)!
Reply 57
does anyone know if the department days for applicants already with offers have any kind of informal interview? Also, what would people wear? How smart etc?
Original post by Trewq93
does anyone know if the department days for applicants already with offers have any kind of informal interview? Also, what would people wear? How smart etc?

Mine in February last year had nothing of the sort, and everyone who was there seemed to treat it as they would any normal open day, clothing-wise! I'm sure they'd let you know if there was any kind of interview. :smile:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! :smile: A*s are certainly stressful... hopefully they'll do what they did last year. :redface:

But I sadly won't be seeing you in October - I actually applied to defer in 2010 (when I said last year, I meant last academic year, d'oh *hasn't adjusted to 2012 yet*); I'm on my gap year now (and I'm not going to UCL, as much as I love the place)!

why did you decide not to? Ah, never mind! Wish me luck on actually getting an offer though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending