The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medical Colleges (BMAT use)

Poll

Does it matter to your application which college you choose?

Having explored many if not all of the threads under this section, I've noticed that so far none has listed which colleges use the BMAT as means of filtering.

It would be nice hence to make a thread that addresses how the BMAT is looked at by each college. Perhaps if we can gather enough information we could make a wiki addition later on.

There is a good chance that some of the information here is wrong/dated so please don't refrain from correcting me. This should be as accurate as possible. Some candidates prefer to attend the interview knowing they have been called after their college saw their BMAT score, meaning that they consider them capable applicants.
This would probably be the best/worst option for candidates with "low" UMS depending on how you see it.

Some colleges will ask for BMAT grades in "letters". Basically the top 20% of scores in each of the first two sections of the BMAT, from applicants to Cambridge as a whole, are classified as A. The next 30% are classified as B and the remainder are classified as C.

An A in 2010 was 6.2 and a B should have been 5.4.

For 2011 applicants these grades translated to:
Section 1 - A 6.3 or more, B 5.1 to 6.2, and C 5 or lower.
Section 2 - A 6.1 or more, B 5.1 to 6.0 and C 5 or lower.

I don't know how these grades are calculated each year but they are based on performance. Hence they will vary each year.

The ABC estimation should be right now. Thank you Chief Wiggum & Lifesaver

BMAT USED/SEEN AFTER INTERVIEW

Fitzwilliam: it seems that a BMAT of 6.5,6.5/7.0,7.0 is looked at EXTREMELY well (discussed this with an admission tutor)

Girton: Successful applicants in recent years have usually had AA or BA in Sections 1 and 2 of the BMAT.

Gonville and Caius: "Most successful candidates scored either AAA or AAB in the BMAT. As you know, whilst the BMAT is only one aspect of our admissions process, it is a significant one" This was the feedback someone received last year.

You will be ranked based on other applicants' profiles before interview and they will make use of your BMAT to make this possible. It appears that they have nearly decided who has made the cut for an offer before the interview, so long as it later goes acceptably well. The only major focus is to use the interview on borderline candidates.

St Catharine's:

Trinity Hall:

Magdalene:We would usually interview applicants who achieved an average of 93% or above in their three most relevant subjects as long as they then scored A, A, in the first two sections of the BMAT. We may also choose to interview some people who score lower than this at our discretion

Wolfson (mature/graduate):

St Edmund's (mature/graduate): Apparently there is no information regarding the S1 and S2 requirements/statistics ...but candidates are called before the BMAT scores are published.

BMAT USED TO FILTER BEFORE INTERVIEW

Trinity College: Back in 2008/7 when a good BMAT was considered a 5,5 by almost every college, an admission tutor stated that such score would be too low. Most likely they have increased their expectations over the years above other colleges' ones. Though it's unofficial, it looks like successful applicants had >6.1.

"I can confirm that we do not invite Medical Sciences applicants for interview who perform poorly in the BMAT. This typically means those who score low Bs and Cs. Most successful applicants have high Bs and As in the BMAT" Admission tutor

Downing: Successful applicants had an average of 6.6 and 6.1 for S1 and S2, to have a chance you should realistically aim for 6.0 at least in both units.

St John: Everyone with 85% average and BB in BMAT is interviewed. So if 90 apply, 70 get interviewed.

However the average successful applicant last year had results in the top 20% (therefore an "A") of section 1 of the BMAT and in the top 10% in section 2 of the BMAT. The assessors’ selection process looks for high performance in both sections of the BMAT, realistically those who achieve within the top 25%-30% of both sections are invited to interview.

Clare: There is no real cut off but candidates are expected to score very highly

Emmanuel: You will need at least BB in S1 and S2. Furthermore, you could be questioned on the essay that you will compose for the Writing Task.

Christ: There is no real or specific requirement for the BMAT. It's as important as the other parts of the application (not more).

Selwyn:

Pembroke: B,B is the minimum requirement in the face of competition and the essay counts just as much as S1 and S2 do.

Sidney Sussex:

Robinson: B,B is required in both units while the essay section does not affect your chances of being given an interview.
UPDATE: a minimum average of 5.5 is required between S1 and S2

Queens: They have a cut off which changes each year, they could not remember last year's cut off.

Newnham: Candidates are required to score A,B in any order, however an excellent application and academics could compensate a slightly lower score. Due to special circumstances in the two previous years candidates were called to the interview before the BMAT scores were published however things will probably go back to normal this year.

DEPENDS

Jesus: The minimum score of successful applicants is A,B in any order. The essay is looked at and it's read by the admission tutor themselves so they can make THEIR OWN thoughts on it, the mark you achieved in it is irrelevant.Strong candidates are invited before the BMAT results come out while weak or (some) average candidates are made to wait until the BMAT is published.

Peterhouse: Successful applicants had in general 6,6 and an A for the essay (the 1-5 score was not mentioned). However they stressed out the fact that some who were accepted equally did much worse and that there is no general cut off point. Candidates with a strong application are called to the interview before the BMAT scores are published while others after.

Corpus Christi: They will be looking for more than B,C and they told me that B,B is a start (they do NOT want to see any Cs). Good candidates are called before their BMAT score is published while those with whom they are concerned after.

UNKNOWN

Lucy Cavendish (women):

Churchill: Successful applicants had 96% at AS and 7.2, 7.0 and 3.8 for the BMAT. A* grade usually required in chemistry since it's a good indicator of future achievements.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LOL i guess I made a thread about something that no one cares about, too bad
I care! I don't know enough about the process to comment or vote but good for you - and thanks - for making this thread.
Reply 3
Original post by noneoftheabove
I care! I don't know enough about the process to comment or vote but good for you - and thanks - for making this thread.

:biggrin: I was starting to give up. Could you be a possible applicant? Well then I will keep updating this page whenever I find out something.
if this helps .. from my feedback last year av BMAT scores for successful applicants at downing college were 6.6 and 6.1 (s1 and s2 respectivley).
Emmanuel looks for BB I think.
I know Downing College doesn't really care much about the essay score as its quite subjectively marked, you must be above 6.0 in S1 and S2 to stand a chance there.

For Gonville and Caius, they use the BMAT to rank candidates (along with other application material) before interview. From what I understand with a medic there, they have nearly decided who has made the cut for an offer beforehand, so long as their interview goes acceptably well. The only major focus is to use the interview on borderline candidates.
Reply 7
Original post by englishman129
if this helps .. from my feedback last year av BMAT scores for successful applicants at downing college were 6.6 and 6.1 (s1 and s2 respectively).

Very accurate post thanks. Could you have been a medical applicant?

Original post by Circadian_Rhythm
Emmanuel looks for BB I think.

Emmanuel is quite competitive so it makes sense asking for the grades in “letters” since perhaps they are more accurate. Thanks a lot for your contribution.

Original post by purplefrog
I know Downing College doesn't really care much about the essay score as its quite subjectively marked, you must be above 6.0 in S1 and S2 to stand a chance there.
For Gonville and Caius, they use the BMAT to rank candidates (along with other application material) before interview. From what I understand with a medic there, they have nearly decided who has made the cut for an offer beforehand, so long as their interview goes acceptably well. The only major focus is to use the interview on borderline candidates.

Thanks, that is a very informative post regarding G&C while the information that you provided for Downing coincides with the one offered by englishman129 so it must be accurate.
Hey, yeah I'm a reject from last year.

Original post by jokosor
Very accurate post thanks. Could you have been a medical applicant?

Emmanuel is quite competitive so it makes sense asking for the grades in “letters” since perhaps they are more accurate. Thanks a lot for your contribution.

Thanks, that is a very informative post regarding G&C while the information that you provided for Downing coincides with the one offered by englishman129 so it must be accurate.
Reply 9
Hey, yeah I'm a reject from last year.

The competition must have been a lot then. Were you interviewed? If so did they ask you how you felt about your BMAT score/ grades? Apparently a few people were asked the question, dunno which college, I'm just curious.
if this helps .. from my feedback last year av BMAT scores for successful applicants at downing college were 6.6 and 6.1 (s1 and s2 respectivley).

Hiya..

Can I ask what your experience was, englishman?

Did you apply to Downing for Medicine and get or not get an interview?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by noneoftheabove
Hiya..

Can I ask what your experience was, englishman?

Did you apply to Downing for Medicine and get or not get an interview?

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, applied to Downing and got an interview.

I can PM you stuff if you want..
Original post by jokosor
The competition must have been a lot then. Were you interviewed? If so did they ask you how you felt about your BMAT score/ grades? Apparently a few people were asked the question, dunno which college, I'm just curious.

Yep, interviewed. Didnt get asked that question. Just got asked pure science.. from qs 1 to the final one.
Original post by jokosor
Were you interviewed? If so did they ask you how you felt about your BMAT score/ grades? Apparently a few people were asked the question, dunno which college, I'm just curious.

I was asked how I felt about my BMAT score (I was successful at Christ's for this years entry). I'm not sure what they are really hoping to gain from asking that question, but being honest is a good idea.
Reply 14
Yep, interviewed. Didnt get asked that question. Just got asked pure science.. from qs 1 to the final one.

They went straight to the point lol. Thanks

Original post by indifferencepersonified
I was asked how I felt about my BMAT score (I was successful at Christ's for this years entry). I'm not sure what they are really hoping to gain from asking that question, but being honest is a good idea.

Yes, I wouldn't know how to answer that. On a different topic, congratulations for being accepted.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Very interesting thread, thought I'd contribute.

Yu can use this however you want, but this was the feedback I received from the St John's tutor after being rejected pre-interview because of my BMAT score (6.8, 4.9, 3A)

"The average successful student in Medicine last year had results in the top 20% of section 1 of the BMAT and in the top 10% in section 2 of the BMAT.

The assessors’ selection process looks for high performance in both sections of the BMAT, realistically the top 25%-30% of both sections are invited to interview."
Reply 16
This was very helpful thank you! Do you by chance know what New Hall thinks about the BMAT scores?
Original post by crimlex
Very interesting thread, thought I'd contribute.

Yu can use this however you want, but this was the feedback I received from the St John's tutor after being rejected pre-interview because of my BMAT score (6.8, 4.9, 3A)

"The average successful student in Medicine last year had results in the top 20% of section 1 of the BMAT and in the top 10% in section 2 of the BMAT.

The assessors’ selection process looks for high performance in both sections of the BMAT, realistically the top 25%-30% of both sections are invited to interview."

Woah, that's harsh... With your 6.8 in s1. We both messed up in s2 though lol. 4.9 is not camb standard :frown:
Reply 18
Woah, that's harsh... With your 6.8 in s1. We both messed up in s2 though lol. 4.9 is not camb standard :frown:

Yeah, no arguments there, which is why I'm spending time revising my GCSEs this time around :smile:
Original post by jokosor
Having explored many if not all of the threads under this section, I've noticed that so far none has listed which colleges use the BMAT as means of filtering.

It would be nice hence to make a thread that addresses how the BMAT is looked at by each college. Perhaps if we can gather enough information we could make a wiki addition later on.

There is a good chance that some of the information here is wrong/dated so please don't refrain from correcting me. This should be as accurate as possible. Some candidates prefer to attend the interview knowing they have been called after their college saw their BMAT score, meaning that they consider them capable applicants.
This would probably be the best/worst option for candidates with "low" UMS depending on how you see it.

Some colleges will ask for grades in "letters". To score an A you need to be in the top 20% of test takers, B is 30% and C is 50%. Hence the mark that you will need to make it into each category will vary each year. However, by a rough estimation through the results graph I would say a B is around 6.5 and an A around 7.

BMAT USED/SEEN AFTER INTERVIEW

Fitzwilliam: it seems that a BMAT of 6.5,6.5/7.0,7.0 is looked at EXTREMELY well (discussed this with an admission tutor)

Girton: Successful applicants in recent years have usually had AA or BA in Sections 1 and 2 of the BMAT.

St Catharine's:

Trinity Hall:

Queens:

Magdalene:

Wolfson (mature/graduate):

BMAT USED TO FILTER BEFORE INTERVIEW

Trinity College: Back in 2008/7 when a good BMAT was considered a 5,5 by almost every college, an admission tutor stated that such score would be too low. Most likely they have increased their expectations over the years above other colleges' ones.

Downing: Successful applicants had an average of 6.6 and 6.1 for S1 and S2, to have a chance you should realistically aim for 6.0 at least in both units.

Gonville and Caius: You will be ranked based on other applicants' profiles and they will make use of your BMAT to make this possible. It appears that they have nearly decided who has made the cut for an offer before the interview, so long as it later goes acceptably well. The only major focus is to use the interview on borderline candidates.

Clare:

Sidney:

Emmanuel: You will need at least BB in S1 and S2. Furthermore, you could be questioned on the essay that you will compose for the Writing Task.

Christ:

Selwyn:

Jesus:

Pembroke:

UNKNOWN

Sidney Sussex:

St Edmund's (mature/graduate):

Peterhouse:

Newnham:

Lucy Cavendish (women):

Corpus Christi:

Churchill: Successful applicants had 96% at AS and 7.2, 7.0 and 3.8 for the BMAT. A*
grade usually required in chemistry since it's a good indicator of future achievements.

On the Cauis website it says they interview all candidates for medicine? Is that true?

http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/medicine

As far as logistics allow, we like to make our decision for all candidates based on as much information as possible and therefore we currently offer interviews to all applicants.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending