The Student Room Group

The TSR Tamil Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
At least the thread got to page 5!

:badger:
Original post by rohitronaldo
Vanakkam Anaivarum. Haha never ever thought I would come across a Tamil Soc on TSR though stereotypically, we are the nerdy type.

We are?? I did not know that. Well, in that case, I wish I was more stereotypically Tamil! :redface:
Original post by senz72
At least the thread got to page 5!

:badger:

Lol, how many (or rather, how few) pages were you expecting?
Reply 83
Original post by Still_Learning
Lol, how many (or rather, how few) pages were you expecting?

One or two.
Reply 84
Original post by senz72
I just thought there ought to be one. :smile:

All Tamils are welcome :smile:

Ahmaam!

(I'm not tamil, that's pretty much the only word I know :colondollar: )
Reply 85
Original post by a rusH
Ahmaam!

(I'm not tamil, that's pretty much the only word I know :colondollar: )

What does that mean?
Reply 86
Original post by senz72
What does that mean?

Oh haha I might have spelt it wrong :colondollar: I have a friend who speaks tamil and he told me that meant "yes"
Reply 87
Original post by a rusH
Oh haha I might have spelt it wrong :colondollar: I have a friend who speaks tamil and he told me that meant "yes"

You spelled it right, but it's not used as often as other 'yes' words.
Reply 88
Original post by Susanoo
You spelled it right, but it's not used as often as other 'yes' words.

I thought it was predominantly used by Indian people (who happen to be Tamil too), ah well what do I know :s-smilie:
Reply 89
Original post by MereBeing
I thought it was predominantly used by Indian people (who happen to be Tamil too), ah well what do I know :s-smilie:

Maybe, but I've heard my parents use it sometimes. :dontknow:
Reply 90
Original post by Apollo11
Hey, don't appologise! I was simply stating a fact :smile:

I am dying to ask is Kaya short for 'Kalyani'??

haha good one, but no! :P

I think that's true, I'm Indian Tamil and we only use this form of 'yes'. Although it could just be that my family are really strange...
Reply 92

Yep, it's used mostly by Indian Tamils.

We (my parents) use ohm/om (yes) and illai (no).

But Amaam is correct:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tamil_phrasebook
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Susanoo
Maybe, but I've heard my parents use it sometimes. :dontknow:

My mum uses it too but only to sound patronising to me when I am trying to get a serious debate going, which then ends up not so serious :biggrin:

Original post by Still_Learning
I think that's true, I'm Indian Tamil and we only use this form of 'yes'. Although it could just be that my family are really strange...

Ah okay, my family have always associated it with the Indian side of Tamil-ness- probably because they watch too many stereotypical Indian dramas :tongue:

Original post by senz72
Yep, it's used mostly by Indian Tamils.

We (my parents) use ohm/om (yes) and illai (no).

But Amaam is correct:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Tamil_phrasebook

Ah right, thank for confirming that :smile: I specially love the fact that you can emphasise the 'o' in 'ohm' to tell them (the parents) that you've had enough of their explanations :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
...because they watch too many stereotypical Indian dramas :tongue:

OMG the repetitive scores they play if there's a dramatic scene and there's like an advertisement every few minutes!
Reply 95
Original post by senz72
OMG the repetitive scores they play if there's a dramatic scene and there's like an advertisement every few minutes!

Don't forget the predictable endings! At least they are good with recycling and reusing storylines and plots!
Reply 96
Don't forget the predictable endings! At least they are good with recycling and reusing storylines and plots!

For me that's a bad thing. We only have Sri-lankan-UK run channels which means there's news every couple of hours which my parents have to watch!
Reply 97
Original post by senz72
For me that's a bad thing. We only have Sri-lankan-UK run channels which means there's news every couple of hours which my parents have to watch!

I have no idea what channels the parents have now but a couple of months ago they changed from Sun Tv to something less Indian-y- the news is too depressing so I just let the parents watch it and complain to me afterwards, that way I don't have to feel as sad! Oh the mother has discovered the internet so she spends most of the time watching 'dramas' online- poor computer!
Reply 98
Sri Lankan Tamil :smile:
Isnt there already an Indian society?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending