The Student Room Group

The TSR Tamil Society

Scroll to see replies

Also kings has a big Tamil society and London in General has loads of Tamils and part of the reason I became Interested in politics is because of the Sri Lankan civil war issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
I just thought there ought to be one. :smile:

All Tamils are welcome :smile:

Have a look at this: http://wikitravel.org/en/Tamil_phrasebook

Haahhaa my brother and I used to joke about how Tamil sounds like shuffling pebbles in something hollow like a can. :lol:
Reply 1402
Original post by GrandMasterChe
Do well in my degree, get a lot out of the subject and extra curricular (societies, football, try new stuff) and have a great time. I think kings offers the most for my degree (politics) as there's loads of talks lectures in London held in kings, ucl lse with interesting guest speakers. But i hear that a fair amount of London student go home/relatives house for the weekend? Not sure how true this is but it puts me off as it takes away from the social aspect, and Manchester is supposed to have a great social reputation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Provided you get accommodation, you don't necessarily need to go back home every weekend. Just every once in a while.

I guess you just have to look around a tad harder but there is a social scene in London. The issue is that the demographic in London tend to be more of a study hard Asian type compared to Manchester. Didn't mean to cause any offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1403
Original post by nothepreacher
Haahhaa my brother and I used to joke about how Tamil sounds like shuffling pebbles in something hollow like a can. :lol:

I can picture it. Particularly when news broadcasts are on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
Provided you get accommodation, you don't necessarily need to go back home every weekend. Just every once in a while.

I guess you just have to look around a tad harder but there is a social scene in London. The issue is that the demographic in London tend to be more of a study hard Asian type compared to Manchester. Didn't mean to cause any offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I wouldnt want to go home every weekend but if others do that its a bit of a drag, whereas in Manchester there is presumably less of that n ppl stick together?

Lol I see what you mean sort of. I really dont know. Kings has loads of Tamils which would be cool, seeing as I havent experienced being with loads of tamils since primary school. Is it a good idea to go be in a compact student city for uni like Manchester as opposed to a massive city like London where you're surrounded by professionals who stop it from being a student city?
Reply 1405
Yeah I wouldnt want to go home every weekend but if others do that its a bit of a drag, whereas in Manchester there is presumably less of that n ppl stick together?

Lol I see what you mean sort of. I really dont know. Kings has loads of Tamils which would be cool, seeing as I havent experienced being with loads of tamils since primary school. Is it a good idea to go be in a compact student city for uni like Manchester as opposed to a massive city like London where you're surrounded by professionals who stop it from being a student city?

No-one's not going to be your friend, if you go and visit your folks once every three weeks. Plus most people wherever they study actually do go home. In my house they go back once every 4/5 weeks.

And it doesn't matter whether you're surrounded by professionals. They keep to themselves, you keep to students.
Original post by senz72
No-one's not going to be your friend, if you go and visit your folks once every three weeks. Plus most people wherever they study actually do go home. In my house they go back once every 4/5 weeks.

And it doesn't matter whether you're surrounded by professionals. They keep to themselves, you keep to students.

People go on about places like Manchester being student cities. IS going to a student city a worthwhile experience? What even makes up the student city experience?! Literally spoilt for choice..!
Reply 1407
People go on about places like Manchester being student cities. IS going to a student city a worthwhile experience? What even makes up the student city experience?! Literally spoilt for choice..!

I have no idea what makes up a students city. There are only about 20000 students in the city of York.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by senz72
I have no idea what makes up a students city. There are only about 20000 students in the city of York.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only? Lool that's a fair amount

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1409
Only? Lool that's a fair amount

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manc. Met + UOM have about 75000 students combined.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by senz72
Manc. Met + UOM have about 75000 students combined.

Firmed kings. Feels good not fretting about what to choose anymore. Thanks for information. It's acc so hard choosing which uni to go to! So many factors.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1411
Firmed kings. Feels good not fretting about what to choose anymore. Thanks for information. It's acc so hard choosing which uni to go to! So many factors.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know right. I had to firmed Manchester and insured York and wanted to change within a week as I liked York better but UCAS refused. Luckily I flopped my A-levels and got into York. :smile:

I think you made the right choice. :smile:
Original post by senz72
I know right. I had to firmed Manchester and insured York and wanted to change within a week as I liked York better but UCAS refused. Luckily I flopped my A-levels and got into York. :smile:

I think you made the right choice. :smile:

Was wondering how unlikely is it that say in your sitation you met your firm, but asked UCAS on results day if they could release you from Manchester and give you a place ay York would work? From what I've heard it's unlikely but there is still a chance it would work, providing say Manchester had enough demand to release you and York had a few spare places so could accomodate you.
How's everyone doing? thread's gone a bit dead!
Reply 1414
I'm single and I'm young'u! <3
Original post by RizK
I'm single and I'm young'u! <3

Udhungada sangu!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Udhungada sangu!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im a thanda sooru king-uu, தமிழ் is my my mother toungue-uuuuuu
Oye!!!! I am also a Tamilan :smile:
Original post by dilepoutee