The Student Room Group

Timewarp's top ten sixth form/college worries

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
have just completed my a levels in june and i am woandering if i a still a full time student of my school until the 31st of August???

please answer!
Reply 21
The organisation point is key! Wish I'd seen this at beginning of year 12!
I have to choose my a levels pretty soon- but I can't decide between Psychology or Business and Economics! The ones I'm sure I'm doing are: Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. Thoughts?
Reply 23
Original post by Boom533
Nice, + rep :wink: Just started AS, settling down now :O

congrats on the offer pal :smile:
Original post by Tronick
congrats on the offer pal :smile:

Reply 25
Original post by Boom533

Oh no, I've got a couple of years to go yet!
If you retake a maths module exam from January and do it in June and get a significantly higher grade (going up three grades for example) and your as results have not been cashed in yet, do you have to declare the retake grade on your ucas application?
I am currently in year 10 and want to study medicine, preferably at Oxbridge. I can do four of:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History
for A-Level so which combination will be the most useful?

Also, how hard is it to settle down in a new school and become head girl, prefect etc?
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain

3. ''Will the work stay this hard?''

Most likely, yes, however you will get used to it. Once you start to settle down it won't seem that bad at all so don't panic just yet! Just keep on top, don't leave things too late and stay calm and you'll survive :yep:

so im guessing then things will get easier as time goes on??
Original post by momomomo123
I am currently in year 10 and want to study medicine, preferably at Oxbridge. I can do four of:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History

Also, how hard is it to settle down in a new school and become head girl, prefect etc?

if you want to do medicine, it is advised you must do biology and chemistry plus one other science subject (eg maths or physics). then i guess it you could do history as your fourth A level to show that your not just a sciency person when you apply to uni. however, if you decide to do drop one subject after you do AS, then drop history. so you will have 3 A levelsin biology,chemistry and you other science subject.

im dont know much about becoming a head girl/prefect. you just have to show you are the best person to do it using your inner self confidence.
Reply 30
Original post by momomomo123
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History

I started a new college and it's not hard settling in just be friendly to everybody you meet and don't get on the bad side of your teachers for the obvious reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey just a quick question, is it feasible to skip the first month/the first five weeks of A levels and then settle down afterwards?
Original post by ChildOfShakespeare
I'm currently in year 11, and the main think that I am worried about is not actually being able to do the work. In maths I currently struggle with a couple of the topics despite my teacher being convinced that I will get an A*, and I have chosen it for AS. How can I cope? Do you learn to deal with the pressure/struggle?

To be honest with you i think the most important thing is knowing what you want to do in university and then choose you'r options in accordance and make sure they are subjects you enjoy because if you don't enjoy the subject it makes it 10 times harder, that was the case in my experience any way.
And A-levels are really not too difficult if you make sure you stay on top of you'r work and don't be lazy. it's just a matter of staying focused and hopefully you should be fine.
Original post by sellerofdreams
Hey just a quick question, is it feasible to skip the first month/the first five weeks of A levels and then settle down afterwards?

You're going to seriously struggle if you do that, and I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped a grade or two in each subject.

What on earth do you want to do in those 5 weeks that is so important that you would jeopardise your education for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
You're going to seriously struggle if you do that, and I wouldn't be surprised if you dropped a grade or two in each subject.

What on earth do you want to do in those 5 weeks that is so important that you would jeopardise your education for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't what I would have wanted to do. Its cos colleges here start in July but results come out in August, nd you cant apply with your predicted grades if you're an international applicant which I am. And the subjects I want to take are only on offer in July. E other option is going in January, but I'm assuming that would be more stressful cos that's an eighteen month course.
Original post by sellerofdreams
It isn't what I would have wanted to do. Its cos colleges here start in July but results come out in August, nd you cant apply with your predicted grades if you're an international applicant which I am. And the subjects I want to take are only on offer in July. E other option is going in January, but I'm assuming that would be more stressful cos that's an eighteen month course.

Have you actually talked to the college about your predicament? They might be willing to make allowances for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
Have you actually talked to the college about your predicament? They might be willing to make allowances for you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have, but there's nothing they can do about it. It's a government decree and they will get into trouble for not following it.
What's annoying is that in Year 13 i'm just gonna panic more in terms of resits due to no jan modules
Original post by alwaysalex
I have to choose my a levels pretty soon- but I can't decide between Psychology or Business and Economics! The ones I'm sure I'm doing are: Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. Thoughts?

i cant sy for business and economics but psychology needs you to put the work in, but i found it is worth it especially as it is so different from bio and chem. if its OCR psychology AS is about methods in psychology and the other exam (harder) is about approaches 15 studies you need to memorize pretty much and evaluate, A2 ive not covered yet but its changing at the end of this year anyway apparently :confused: AQA is easier i hear with only 10 studies and evaluations for AS (i did OCR so dont know full detail for AQA sorry ) Either way if you are interested and willing to work and write in long answer questions its really worth it and is good for most uni courses as the are a lot of transferable skills and ideas :biggrin:

hope this helps PM me if you want to know more :smile:
Original post by Katieh007
have just completed my a levels in june and i am woandering if i a still a full time student of my school until the 31st of August???

please answer!

I hope so, otherwise I viciously lied to both my dentist and doctor yesterday! :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest