The Student Room Group

Timewarp's top ten sixth form/college worries

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ummm
I'm so torn on whether to drop one of my subjects and do a different one instead. Seriously don't know what to do. Can anyone tell me what edexcel geography is like?

What subjects are you currently going to be studying? I have just finished yr 13 and swapped ocr physics for edexcel geog at the start of yr 12 (i swapped in after a whole half term and had quite a bit to catch up on!) For me I knew it was the right choice - I wasn't liking or understanding physics at all and kinda regretted choosing it.

I would advise looking at subject requirements for the course you want to study at uni (if you are going to apply) and see whether any changes you would make to your subjects would adversely affect an application. If a change is fine, go for the subject you enjoy most - there's nothing worse than having to struggle with a subject you aren't passionate about.

As for Edexcel Geog itself, it's not too hard as long as don't mind essay based exams and remembering lots of facts/case studies. The course covers some interesting topics and you have some choice in the topics you choose to answer questions for in the exam so you can pick your fav topics. Once you get the hang of what they want from you (geo grammar, structured essay, linking case studies) then you would be well on your way to at least a B (as I say, once you get an idea of what they want, it is often only challenging in that there is lots to remember).

Hope that helps! Sorry for the long reply :s-smilie:
Reply 41
Original post by momomomo123
I am currently in year 10 and want to study medicine, preferably at Oxbridge. I can do four of:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History
for A-Level so which combination will be the most useful?

Also, how hard is it to settle down in a new school and become head girl, prefect etc?

LoooooooL so many dreams, talk to me when you're in year 12 i want to see your new perspective
I started college in July and if your college is anything like mine, the main thing you have o learn is independence. You candrive home whenever you want-you can eat wherever you want-you can go watch a movie during your two hour break if you can get back on time. Quite intimidating for me since I came from a strict international school with strict rules. Honestly, the gap from igcse to a levels doesn't seem too big-but then everyone says that semester 1 is the easiest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently in year 10 and want to study medicine, preferably at Oxbridge. I can do four of:
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
History
for A-Level so which combination will be the most useful?

Also, how hard is it to settle down in a new school and become head girl, prefect etc?

My friend has the same ambition, and she's just chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History. I assume you've looked on the Oxford/Cambridge websites to see their entry requirements and what subjects they prefer, if you haven't you need to.
As for me, I want to do History at a Russell Group university, and I know that isn't the same as Medicine or Oxbridge but they are both competitive courses at very good universities, so hear me out. When I was deciding on A Levels I was told constantly it was important to chose the subjects I believed I would do best in as the top universities look for the candidates with the highest grades, compared to the subjects (as long as they are not "Mickey Mouse" subjects!). So yeah chose the subjects you like the most and think you'll do best in.
Personally if I were you, I'd definitely take History then any of the others. It's good to look well-rounded. :smile:
Original post by alicemforsyth
My friend has the same ambition, and she's just chosen to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and History. I assume you've looked on the Oxford/Cambridge websites to see their entry requirements and what subjects they prefer, if you haven't you need to.
As for me, I want to do History at a Russell Group university, and I know that isn't the same as Medicine or Oxbridge but they are both competitive courses at very good universities, so hear me out. When I was deciding on A Levels I was told constantly it was important to chose the subjects I believed I would do best in as the top universities look for the candidates with the highest grades, compared to the subjects (as long as they are not "Mickey Mouse" subjects!). So yeah chose the subjects you like the most and think you'll do best in.
Personally if I were you, I'd definitely take History then any of the others. It's good to look well-rounded. :smile:

Thanks for your really helpful advice! :biggrin:

I think I'm going to do maths, biology, chemistry and history but I have still got the whole of year eleven to decide. Some places, such as Imperial, I think, actually prefer it if an applicant has done a non-science subject.
Reply 45
Original post by Kristi3
What subjects are you currently going to be studying? I have just finished yr 13 and swapped ocr physics for edexcel geog at the start of yr 12 (i swapped in after a whole half term and had quite a bit to catch up on!) For me I knew it was the right choice - I wasn't liking or understanding physics at all and kinda regretted choosing it.

I would advise looking at subject requirements for the course you want to study at uni (if you are going to apply) and see whether any changes you would make to your subjects would adversely affect an application. If a change is fine, go for the subject you enjoy most - there's nothing worse than having to struggle with a subject you aren't passionate about.

As for Edexcel Geog itself, it's not too hard as long as don't mind essay based exams and remembering lots of facts/case studies. The course covers some interesting topics and you have some choice in the topics you choose to answer questions for in the exam so you can pick your fav topics. Once you get the hang of what they want from you (geo grammar, structured essay, linking case studies) then you would be well on your way to at least a B (as I say, once you get an idea of what they want, it is often only challenging in that there is lots to remember).

Hope that helps! Sorry for the long reply :s-smilie:

Haha thanks for the reply and I'm sure it'll help out someone else in a similar situation, but I've finished year 13 now! I stuck with computing in the end, and got a pretty good mark. I hated it though!
Original post by placebo24
When do you actually make all your new friends? Are the people you met in your first week the only people you'll properly talk to?

You will find that you'll meet lots of new people in the first week, but after the first 2-3weeks you will find a few good friends. You will usually find that the people you meet in your classes are the ones that stick.
Please someone answer my post? It's A Level related, (click link)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2465059&p=44480735#post44480735

Thanks! xx
My sixth form dress code is insane. We have to wear matching suits, the jacket has to match the dress/trousers, no T-shirts with logos, no patterns on the suits, there's even a list of approved suit colours...kill me kill me killmenow.
Thanks for your really helpful advice! :biggrin:

I think I'm going to do maths, biology, chemistry and history but I have still got the whole of year eleven to decide. Some places, such as Imperial, I think, actually prefer it if an applicant has done a non-science subject.

That's a really good combination :smile: bear in mind, though, History's a very different type of subject from the others, with a different type of work/revision etc.
Reply 50
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
... well nine :wink: Any questions just ask, there's a fair few of us who have been through it all now :biggrin:

Year 12

1. ''I hate or am finding one of my options too hard, I want to change''

You can do, from personal experience if you want to change you need to do it within the first two weeks as that is feesible to catch up on. However, make sure you really do want to drop the subject and do the other subject instead. It may just be the inital shock scaring you.

2. ''How do I organise myself?''

With some lined paper, dividers, highlighters, a lever arch for each subject and a smaller folder to save your back. That was how I organised myself during sixth form, not everyone organised themselves this way though. When it comes down to organisation you need a place to keep (and not lose!) handouts and often folders are the easiest. However if you prefer you can use pukka pads or any other system. Trial and experiment but A) Keep everything in order B) Don't lose those sheets! In my case, I threw away all of the handouts the teachers gave me as they were just taking up too much space. Personally, folders were too big to carry in a backpack to school and I used the notebooks instead for notes. For my revision, I just used my textbooks and doing timed past papers.

3. ''Will the work stay this hard?''

Most likely, yes, however you will get used to it. Once you start to settle down it won't seem that bad at all so don't panic just yet! Just keep on top, don't leave things too late and stay calm and you'll survive :yep:

4. ''When should I start revising?''

Ideally 1-2 months in advance for A levels, however we all know this doesn't really happen! As soon as you need to but not the night before the exam :wink:

5. ''Can I have a job and study for A levels?''

Yes! Just don't over do it... 12 hours a week is ideal and book time off for your exams, that was the biggest mistake I made for AS and I certainly regretted it! Again it's just getting used to balancing your time but don't let A levels stop you getting a job.

Year 13

6. 'I didn't do very well for AS, what can I do?''

Work hard, resit and work out what went wrong. Year 12 is often a major wake up call for 6th formers, I finished with CCCB at the end of mine! However, with a lot of hard work you can improve, I finished with AAC :yep: Don't panic just yet, just start working early this year and work out what you need to do from the start :biggrin:

7. ''What sort of predictions should I receive?''

Typically you should receive the same as what you got at AS or one grade higher unless you particularly flunked unexpectedly or are very persuasive. Just in remember these predictions are vital for university so don't make teachers predict you something completely unrealistic.

8. ''How many resits should I do?''

I would advice no more than 3 or 4 in one sitting, especially if you are doing A2 exams at the same time. If you need to do more than that then you'll be incredibly stressed as you'll have a lot of work to do alongside them. Try and split them between Jan and June to keep a balance and remember that if you need to do a ridiculous amount you may be better off resitting the year instead.

9. ''What is the work load like?''

It's hard and in many subjects very different to AS in terms of what you are expected to do. If you survived AS you'll survive A2 once you settle down again!

Other...

Current Year 12 thread
Current Year 13 thread
Revision chat and help thread

Thanks for writing all of this. Overall it is a good advice.
Reply 51
Original post by yahyahyahs
Oh, actually WORK during your free periods and not laze around (or drive to McDonalds *guilty*). Good pointer. I did work during my free periods when I was not sleeping

I would suggest start working on light revision from February half term onwards. If you break down the workload and spread it over a few months, you'll find it easier to digest information.

I agree with you on working hard throughout the year so you understand all the information and have time to solve any misunderstandings with your teacher. Though you would still need a quick recap a few weeks before the exam as information will not hold in your brain for long if you do not use it.
Reply 52
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Depends how adventurous you want to be or how well you get on with those first initial people. Typically I found everyone settled down to be friends mostly with those they have most of their frees with and those they had classes with and you build relationships from the start :yes:

I have to say though that the friends I started with are completely and utterly different from the friends I finished with :o:

Are the friends you settled with, better than your initial friends?
Do as much work as you can in your frees - don't sit around in the social zone / common room or go home. I would suggest start revising from September when you first start learning things. If you start early revision, just going back over notes you made in class once or twice afterwards, it's more likely to stay in your head and so there's less revision or pressure when exam time gets closer! :biggrin:
Oh and talk to teachers if there's something you're not understanding and get extra work.
Also try to do as many past papers as you can in the allotted time so that in the actual exam you know what you need to do and you're not as fresh to this situation as others. Good Luck everyone!!! :tongue: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest