The Student Room Group

Graduate entry dentistry 2012 - (University of central Lancashire)

Hi everyone,

Just want to find out everyone who is applying for uni of central lancashire for 2012?

I have a question regarding degree transcripts. I missed my offer at bham uni in 2008 (i got AAC instead of AAB), and I am now finishing my biological science degree with a predicted 2:1.

I called lancashire up and asked when they need to see the degree transcript and they said 'after' they award the offer... which i dont understand because for some of the med schools they use it to help award the offer (i.e. look how u are performing through years 1 & 2), but seems lancashire just want to use it once u pass and finish the degree (plus they want a copy of the degree certificate) to make sure u got the 2:1....

Is anyon wondering the same thing or been through the same thing? im worried because i only got 57.5% in year 2 and year 1 wasnt much better!

And also does anyone know much about lancashires interview process (specifically the mcq test and manual dexterity test) and how is everyone gnna prepare for this?

Also when will interviews be? Earlier than undergrad entry or the same around dec/jan?

Help and advices is very welcom :smile:

Sofi

Scroll to see replies

Original post by x_sof_x
Hi everyone,

Just want to find out everyone who is applying for uni of central lancashire for 2012?

I have a question regarding degree transcripts. I missed my offer at bham uni in 2008 (i got AAC instead of AAB), and I am now finishing my biological science degree with a predicted 2:1.

I called lancashire up and asked when they need to see the degree transcript and they said 'after' they award the offer... which i dont understand because for some of the med schools they use it to help award the offer (i.e. look how u are performing through years 1 & 2), but seems lancashire just want to use it once u pass and finish the degree (plus they want a copy of the degree certificate) to make sure u got the 2:1....

Is anyon wondering the same thing or been through the same thing? im worried because i only got 57.5% in year 2 and year 1 wasnt much better!

And also does anyone know much about lancashires interview process (specifically the mcq test and manual dexterity test) and how is everyone gnna prepare for this?

Also when will interviews be? Earlier than undergrad entry or the same around dec/jan?

Help and advices is very welcom :smile:

Sofi

if they say they want to see it after the interview, then that will be correct. i know someone who had an interview there 2 years ago and they had to take their original certificates to the interview etc. as long as you're predicted a 2.1 minimum, your second year results won't matter as much. i think it's a real shame their academic entry requirements are so high for graduates in terms of GCSEs and Alevel grades.
Reply 2
yeah i called again today, she said they wanna see it once u complete ur degree as the transcript is released before the degree certificate so it just confirms u got the 2.1, so i feel more relieved. i no yeah it is annoying they put grades so high, i think so many ppl r capable and it rules a lot of people out...
Reply 3
hey people, was wondering if anybody has heard back from uclan, ive had a look at the previous years and they tend to be interviewing right about now??? x
Reply 4
Got mine this morning!
Reply 5
got mine too!
Reply 6
congratulations!!! how did you guys recieve it via post or email? x
Reply 7
got mine on the 8th december at 12.15!! so who's coming with me then?
Reply 8
Original post by sarabds
congratulations!!! how did you guys recieve it via post or email? x

post.....no email
Reply 9
I got an interview letter today. My interview will be on the 5th December. I don't really know what to expect. I'm really happy to be given an interview though. Hopefully I'll make it a good one and get an offer.
Reply 10
Original post by konanakon
I got an interview letter today. My interview will be on the 5th December. I don't really know what to expect. I'm really happy to be given an interview though. Hopefully I'll make it a good one and get an offer.

Congrats! please let us know how did it go and what all questions where asked. Gud luck!
Reply 11
Interview- 6th December 0900hrs...any tips for the 9 mini-interview style stations? Has anyone heard from other dental schools (other than their applications being confirmed?)
Reply 12
yes it came in the post. Mine's 5th December too. :smile:
Reply 13
well done everybody who has an interview, i have a friend at uclan in third year and she will be on the interview panel at one of the stations and she told me that if you get an interview at uclan you have more than likely got the place. I wish i had applied to uclan now :frown: x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
I've always been slightly confused about one thing. I know that the UClan course and the Liverpool course for Graduate dentistry are closely linked because they are mutually exclusive. Is the UClan BDS awarded by the Uclan institute itself or by Liverpool?
Reply 15
Original post by konanakon
I've always been slightly confused about one thing. I know that the UClan course and the Liverpool course for Graduate dentistry are closely linked because they are mutually exclusive. Is the UClan BDS awarded by the Uclan institute itself or by Liverpool?

apparently they are not mutually exclusive and uclan have seperated from liverpool and are now their own entity. So i think you would now get a uclan degree whereas before you had the choice of either graduating with liverpool/uclan x
Interview at UCLan at 9am on the 5th.... only got the letter yesterday so the first thing I did this morning was run into my boss's office to book the day off from work :biggrin:
Looked at the interview style- could they have designed a more crazy day? Carving wax and bending wires, makng an origami car and then doing interviews that sound a lot like speed dating! lol... not that I've ever done speed dating :colondollar:
Reply 17
i got my interview letter and email about a week ago :smile: mines on the 8th but my uni tutor has said i have to do my dissertation powerpoint presentation on that day :frown: do u think i would be able to rearrange the interview day? i havent heard back from any other unis but id love to go2 uclan!…i cant believe how long the interviews are gnna last, and anyone got any idea what the wax/wire thing is gnna entail? how can we practice that?? what questions do u think theyre gnna ask :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Original post by x_sof_x
i got my interview letter and email about a week ago :smile: mines on the 8th but my uni tutor has said i have to do my dissertation powerpoint presentation on that day :frown: do u think i would be able to rearrange the interview day? i havent heard back from any other unis but id love to go2 uclan!…i cant believe how long the interviews are gnna last, and anyone got any idea what the wax/wire thing is gnna entail? how can we practice that?? what questions do u think theyre gnna ask :s-smilie:

Yeah just ring them up about the clash. Seeing as how it's actually unviersity related being your dissertation presentation and all I'm sure they will rearrange a date for you. As long as the date isn't something like a holiday then it should be fine.
I also have an interview on 8th dec at 12.15. Bit confused by the 9 mini interviews, do you reckon it'll be a group of people at each station, or we each do a station separately and swap?

Quick Reply

Latest