The Student Room Group

Doing History & Ancient History OK for universities?

Due to timetabling/class sizes, I'm forced to do History A level aswell as Ancient History AS. Is this viewed as acceptable when applying for universities?

I know theyre two different subjects but i can see how someone might view them as two lots of the same subject.

My only other option was Theology which is a complete snoozefest :yawn:

Would be grateful for any advice and if anyones been in my situation before it would be most helpful!! :gah:
Reply 1
Someone in my History class did Classics and History as well and got into oxford so i think your okay, are you thinking of applying for history at uni?
Reply 2
Original post by Batmonkey

Someone in my History class did Classics and History as well and got into oxford so i think your okay, are you thinking of applying for history at uni?

No, law hopefully.

Ah ok that reassures me a little bit, although at least in that situation both subjects had different names, feel like Ancient History is just History with "Ancient" stuck on the front :emo:
Reply 3
Original post by BenjyK
No, law hopefully.

Ah ok that reassures me a little bit, although at least in that situation both subjects had different names, feel like Ancient History is just History with "Ancient" stuck on the front :emo:

It's two completely different time periods so i personally wouldn't say it's the same subject by any means. Generally ancient history is to do mostly with the Greeks, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, and at my college they studied Greek tragedy's. I chose Early Modern History at my college and so did the guy who got into Oxford so he had quite a variety, is your history course early modern or modern? If your applying to do Law having History is a good subject because it shows your good essay writer and are articulate plus hint for your personal statement say that through your knowledge of both ancient and more modern history you have been able to study the progression of the law throughout history and this has enriched your understanding of the legal process. ( sorry i may have gotten a bit carried away there, I was going to apply to do law as well :biggrin: )
Reply 4

It's two completely different time periods so i personally wouldn't say it's the same subject by any means. Generally ancient history is to do mostly with the Greeks, anyone correct me if I'm wrong, and at my college they studied Greek tragedy's. I chose Early Modern History at my college and so did the guy who got into Oxford so he had quite a variety, is your history course early modern or modern? If your applying to do Law having History is a good subject because it shows your good essay writer and are articulate plus hint for your personal statement say that through your knowledge of both ancient and more modern history you have been able to study the progression of the law throughout history and this has enriched your understanding of the legal process. ( sorry i may have gotten a bit carried away there, I was going to apply to do law as well :biggrin: )

Yeah we're doing Greeks and Romans for Ancient History and i think early modern, not sure but we're doing Tudors and stuff like that.
Thanks for the tips haha, youve eased my mind, and i do like history so should hopefully do well and get into a good uni! :awesome:
Why didnt you apply in the end if you dont mind me asking? :teehee:
Reply 5
Original post by BenjyK
Yeah we're doing Greeks and Romans for Ancient History and i think early modern, not sure but we're doing Tudors and stuff like that.
Thanks for the tips haha, youve eased my mind, and i do like history so should hopefully do well and get into a good uni! :awesome:
Why didnt you apply in the end if you dont mind me asking? :teehee:

I loved Early Modern, It was a great period to study although i did the Stuarts :wink:
I applied for History in the end because i love it ( don't know if you can tell :rolleyes:) and I wasn't sure about Law although i was predicted an A* ( missed out on it by a few marks which was a shame but oh well ) i wanted to do a subject i really loved and get my money's worth from it :biggrin:

If i were you ( because i was a year ago ) I'd try and get some work experience with some solicitors or just go along to your local county court and watch some cases, anyone's allowed to, just so you've got something impressive to say on your personal statement ( More tips yay :colondollar:)
Reply 6

I loved Early Modern, It was a great period to study although i did the Stuarts :wink:
I applied for History in the end because i love it ( don't know if you can tell :rolleyes:) and I wasn't sure about Law although i was predicted an A* ( missed out on it by a few marks which was a shame but oh well ) i wanted to do a subject i really loved and get my money's worth from it :biggrin:

If i were you ( because i was a year ago ) I'd try and get some work experience with some solicitors or just go along to your local county court and watch some cases, anyone's allowed to, just so you've got something impressive to say on your personal statement ( More tips yay :colondollar:)

Yeah, I'm was a bit sceptical about it just because it seemed a bit less interesting than the late modern stuff, but my teacher insists that if anything it more so I'm just going to roll with it, history's history after all :rolleyes:
I'm not really sure about the work experience thing, when and where to do it, ive been to my local court, but only because my aunties lawyer of some sort, but I'm not sure about getting some at solicitors, do i just ask any old high street solicitor near me for work experience?

I normally try and put all this worrying about the future at the back of my mind but i suppose its going to be time to seriouslt think about it sooner rather than later :blush:
Reply 7
Original post by BenjyK
Yeah, I'm was a bit sceptical about it just because it seemed a bit less interesting than the late modern stuff, but my teacher insists that if anything it more so I'm just going to roll with it, history's history after all :rolleyes:
I'm not really sure about the work experience thing, when and where to do it, ive been to my local court, but only because my aunties lawyer of some sort, but I'm not sure about getting some at solicitors, do i just ask any old high street solicitor near me for work experience?

I normally try and put all this worrying about the future at the back of my mind but i suppose its going to be time to seriouslt think about it sooner rather than later :blush:

The Tudors were an gruesome bunch, you'll love it :tongue: I've shadowed a court usher and barristers at Cambridge county court, that's because i knew someone who worked there so possibly you could ask your aunty if there's anything she can offer you? and been like an intern at a solicitors firm but that was through an interviewing process set up by my college. You didn't mention whether or not you did law at college but I'd just ask a law teacher if there's anything they could suggest ( assuming you have a law department)

Well you've decided on your degree and that's usually the hardest part ( as well as choosing what uni :wink:) so work hard and your future will turn out great :biggrin:
Reply 8

The Tudors were an gruesome bunch, you'll love it :tongue: I've shadowed a court usher and barristers at Cambridge county court, that's because i knew someone who worked there so possibly you could ask your aunty if there's anything she can offer you? and been like an intern at a solicitors firm but that was through an interviewing process set up by my college. You didn't mention whether or not you did law at college but I'd just ask a law teacher if there's anything they could suggest ( assuming you have a law department)

Well you've decided on your degree and that's usually the hardest part ( as well as choosing what uni :wink:) so work hard and your future will turn out great :biggrin:

Oh ok, yeah well to be honest my auntie did say i could do some things at her office during the summer, but it was summer and i wanted to go out :facepalm: Ill be sure to beg her for another opportunity lol. My school doesnt do Law though as they think its unnecessary :gasp:

Thanks for all your help, youve been awesome, goodluck with your History Degree! :h:

Quick Reply