The Student Room Group

Further Maths or History? (for Economics)

It is my goal to study Economics at Cambridge. My current A Level subjects are as follows:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Chinese (already done)

I'm considering taking a fifth subject outside of school, and am still deliberating over whether to take Further Maths or History. I realise that this will take a lot of commitment and hard work on my part, but I am willing to make this effort if it helps my application in any way. Which subject would be more beneficial? Thanks!
Original post by Member737,514

Original post by Member737,514
It is my goal to study Economics at Cambridge. My current A Level subjects are as follows:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Chinese (already done)

I'm considering taking a fifth subject outside of school, and am still deliberating over whether to take Further Maths or History. I realise that this will take a lot of commitment and hard work on my part, but I am willing to make this effort if it helps my application in any way. Which subject would be more beneficial? Thanks!

Further Maths, probably.
Further maths! Based on nothing but my love of maths.
Reply 3
you dont even need economics a level to study economics at the school of economics
Reply 4
Further Maths I feel on the balance of things.
Further maths is pretty much compulsory if you want to apply for cambridge to do economics according to their website
Reply 6
You may need further maths if applying for econ at cambridge
Further mths, plus I hear from friends who do both it's easier to do well (if you're good at maths) and it's a lot less work
Reply 8
history > econ
Reply 9
but do f maths also
Reply 10
Further Maths will be more useful and, if you are good enough at maths to be considering Economics at Cambridge, probably require less effort than History.
If you've got a natural talent for maths/science, then F. Maths would be easier to do. History would be useful and give you a deeper insight to Economics on a theoretical level, but F. Maths would probably help your studies more and look better for universities.

Quick Reply

Latest