The Student Room Group

Homesickness?

Does anyone else find uni to be a generally homesick experience? I don't mean the first few weeks or even months, but just on a day to day basis. I rarely got homesick in the first year because halls were so mad and all-consuming that I didn't have time to, but in the second year I've constantly missed my mum and my boyfriend and being able to see them for a chat or a hug or just to say hi. I'm not unhappy here overall, but I always feel like a little part of me is in another place. Is it just me?
When I returned home for the Christmas holiday I was sick. Does that count?
yeah ive just got back from 4 lovely relaxing weeks at home with the family. my parents have just left and i confess i had a bit of a cry. i love it here in uni and have made some friends for life but being home for so long has made me realise how much i love my mum and dad, and what great company they are - i never thought i would ever say that! but its been cool hangin out with my dad down the pub playing pool, and going for long drives, and going shoping with my mum or just sittin down and watchin a dvd.
its also been nice seeing all my friends again and hanging out and catchin up. we all saw in the new year together and it made me realise how much i love them all. its simple things like not being able to just see and talk to them when i want plus i miss my dog! arh wel its all part of growing up and being independent but i still feel like i need my mum and dad! hope every1 else is coping ok,and good luck in ur exams
Reply 3
I know exactly what you mean, I am at the stage at the moment where I really want to go home. There just seems to be so much more there for me than here. I just keep reminding myself that term time is relatively short and that the big summer break will be here before I know it. :smile:
Reply 4
envious
I know exactly what you mean, I am at the stage at the moment where I really want to go home. There just seems to be so much more there for me than here. I just keep reminding myself that term time is relatively short and that the big summer break will be here before I know it. :smile:

same here! im settling in better now, felt really down yesterday though, it usually takes me a while to adjust to change so im sure i'll be fine if i stick out the next couple of weeks
Reply 5
I'm the complete opposite since I rarely think about going home. I have such a good group of friends and am so busy with social/uni work stuff I kind of forget about it for weeks at a time.
Reply 6
bewithoutyou
Does anyone else find uni to be a generally homesick experience? I don't mean the first few weeks or even months, but just on a day to day basis. I rarely got homesick in the first year because halls were so mad and all-consuming that I didn't have time to, but in the second year I've constantly missed my mum and my boyfriend and being able to see them for a chat or a hug or just to say hi. I'm not unhappy here overall, but I always feel like a little part of me is in another place. Is it just me?

Yeh...lots of the time. I miss my mum and dad and my dogs and just nice stuff about home like the sea and beach outside my door. And hot showers of course :rolleyes:

I dont cry but I get lots of little aches for home everyday.
I got really homesick at my first Uni, but at my second, not at all! Yes I missed my boyfriend when he wasn't there & my friends back home, but oddly I didn't miss my home or family.

I think that homesickness effects most of us at some point in Uni life. It doesn't mean to say that you miss 'home' as such..... just things that you have left behind.
Reply 8
I didn't feel homesick when I started in September but I did after the week long holiday we had in October and couldn't wait to get home, during the Christmas holidays I got so bored at home that I couldn't wait to get back here.

Don't see myself getting homesick this term and am in no rush to go back home, there really is nothing where I come from
Reply 9
I miss home but I wouldn't say I get 'homesick'. I *heart* uni and speak to my parents several times per week anyway, see them maybe about once a month/every 6 weeks.
Vixen
Yeh...lots of the time. I miss my mum and dad and my dogs and just nice stuff about home like the sea and beach outside my door...
wow! I wish I had the sea outside my door, as it is I live in a claustrophobic house which I won't miss at all. I'm not good at missing my family either even though I quite like most of them. I know I'll find things at univ uncomfortable at first as I won't be used to them, but it won't last.
I don't tend to get homesick so much, but I do miss members of my family and my friends from home. We had a bit of a meet up at Christmas, but basically everyone was working full time and we never spent as much time together as we would have liked to.

Anyway, it was a very surreal experience returning home for home after the first term. All the stuff in my room that I'd not seen for 8 weeks, like photos and things. Oh, and the HUGE pile of random stuff that had been dumped in there by everyone else...

Oh well, I spent far more of my waking life last vac either in Morrisons working, or on my way to and from work... so I barely saw my family at all! I think I spent more time with my boss than my Dad. Shame.
Reply 12
I haven't really been homesick at all. I was glad to be back at uni after the Christmas hols.

Ah well.
Reply 13
I dropped out of staffordshire uni last year as i missed home too much i just couldnt bare being in a different city at all so i came home and went to my local uni instead and im much happier now :smile:
Higgy
I dropped out of staffordshire uni last year as I missed home too much I just couldnt bare being in a different city at all so I came home and went to my local uni instead and I'm much happier now :smile:
well done for dropping out of Staffordshire! :biggrin: are you at Nottingham univ? are you gonna stay in the same city all your life or do you feel you'll be able to consider other places when you're older and more experienced? :smile:
I love it at uni but i do miss home. I do get a bit down about it missing my family and bf and friends. Tbh, as much as uni is great fun and going out etc. It's not too much different from being at home. Except i'm skint and can't drive my car. lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending