The Student Room Group

DSA question about assessment - help please :)

I qualify and have now got a letter about a needs assessment. I take it that I am meant to arrange this myself? I looked online at my nearest centre, so what do I do next, just call them up to book myself in? I thought that once you qualify they make the appointment for you to be assessed?

Can somene please let me know how it works - thanks!
Reply 1
Call up your local centre and get booked in for the needs assessment. Once you have had the assessment the assessor will draw up a report stating what you need. The report then gets sent to student finance (you have the option to view and approve the report prior to this if you wish) to be approved and then you can go about getting your stuff delivered.

It is all very friendly and the assessment is a chat / discussion about your prior experiences and needs. (ie. what you find difficult, what you think may help, what they can offer, etc). Probably takes about 2 hours and it is nothing to worry about.
Reply 2
Original post by BigV
Call up your local centre and get booked in for the needs assessment. Once you have had the assessment the assessor will draw up a report stating what you need. The report then gets sent to student finance (you have the option to view and approve the report prior to this if you wish) to be approved and then you can go about getting your stuff delivered.

It is all very friendly and the assessment is a chat / discussion about your prior experiences and needs. (ie. what you find difficult, what you think may help, what they can offer, etc). Probably takes about 2 hours and it is nothing to worry about.

Thanks a lot. Just called up about it and it all went fine. :smile:
Reply 3
Exactly as the other person said. The staff even came to the reception to meet me when I went to mine rather than getting the receptionist to send me up. I had a student observer or something in my assessment and it was fine. It's when you have to arrange delivery of your equipment that it gets complicated...
Reply 4
Original post by Jinxy
I qualify and have now got a letter about a needs assessment. I take it that I am meant to arrange this myself? I looked online at my nearest centre, so what do I do next, just call them up to book myself in? I thought that once you qualify they make the appointment for you to be assessed?

Can somene please let me know how it works - thanks!

You have to arrange the assessment.

Quick Reply