Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much are your parents giving you at university?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, someone please explain to me the animosity towards being supported by your parents. It's meant to be like that, that's why loans and bursaries are means tested.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydemikaela)
    Nothing for living expenses but they've paid for my accomodation so I wouldn't expect anything.
    Same as this. They'll give me money if I end up needing it, but I got a pretty good loan so I doubt I will.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    £130 a week enough?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    £1000 when i start, but £500 of that is needed to cover the shortfall between my student loan and my accomidation costs.

After that around £100 a month, but im living in catered accomidation so i think i can live off that and my savings.

My parents arent rich but i get the minimum loan and no grant becasue of what my dad earns, its so stupid that it doesnt take any other circumstances into account, My parents have a really high morgage due to having to move from the north-east to the south coast just as house prices were at their highest due to work.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    50 pounds a week, I'm gonna try and find a job as well and after I pay for my accommodation I have about 10-20 pounds left of my student loan a week. Is this enough? A lot of people are saying they're not getting anything off their parents; how much are people getting out of their loans/jobs?
    What I'm getting at is how much a week do you need to live on, after rent

depends on what you plan to do, £10-20 is probably a little too low as you have to buy food and also you will probably go out and will need money for drinks, taxis ect ect. you could probably just about survive though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbigailElizabeth)
    depends on what you plan to do, £10-20 is probably a little too low as you have to buy food and also you will probably go out and will need money for drinks, taxis ect ect. you could probably just about survive though.
    The 10-20 pounds is on top of 50 pounds a week though, is that still really low? What's the average that people live on?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the "not a penny" camp. Never had financial help with anything frm anyone, I'm probably older than you lot and I have to say that having had no help ever is a bit of a double edged sword. On one side it is a fantastic set up for long term life, you appreciate the small things so much more and will, when you have the income to do so, find it so much easier to manage and save up for the things that you want and will appreciate them much more On the other hand if you happen to mix with people in the "getting everything paid for" camp it does get bloody irritating.

I'm a "mature student" (I'm 24 but about as mature as Bambi so that doesn't mean anything) I have friends who are older than me and have morgtages and the whole shebang, I live with my fella in a tiny cheap rented flat in a god awfull area of town. I'm funding my part time degree with a full time job and a big ass overdraft, no grants, no bursaries, no parental help. My morgtage holding friends think I've lost it. Especially as they STILL recieve thousands of pounds worth of help from their parents, they have no idea what it actually takes to live on a budget.

The words "I'm a bit broke" have many meanings, to some (like me) it means "my overdraft is spent and I'm living on tomato pasta for the next month until I get paid again so no, I cannot come out on a £50 a night bender" to others it means "I have a couple of hundred left before my overdraft and the credit cards and my savings, but you know, I'm feeling scroogey so I'm going to tell you I'm as broke as you are but tomorrow I'm going to go out and spend some money on some stuff I don't need".

So us broke people will forever be annoyed by those born with silver spoons in various bodily orifices. Those with the silver spoons are prbably going to get annoyed with the broke peoples moaning but, in my experience, those of us who have little manage better in the long run. If the help was there (which I can assure you, it is not) I wouldn't want it really. I am far more resourceful than my wealthier friends and I swear blind that I have more fun than they do...

Make of that what you will ;-)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get a grand a week.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, somebody just said "need money for drinks and TAXIS!" Taxis? ARe you freakin' joking? Use your feet you lazy ass.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fenelahellyer)
    I'm in the "not a penny" camp. Never had financial help with anything frm anyone, I'm probably older than you lot and I have to say that having had no help ever is a bit of a double edged sword. On one side it is a fantastic set up for long term life, you appreciate the small things so much more and will, when you have the income to do so, find it so much easier to manage and save up for the things that you want and will appreciate them much more On the other hand if you happen to mix with people in the "getting everything paid for" camp it does get bloody irritating.

I'm a "mature student" (I'm 24 but about as mature as Bambi so that doesn't mean anything) I have friends who are older than me and have morgtages and the whole shebang, I live with my fella in a tiny cheap rented flat in a god awfull area of town. I'm funding my part time degree with a full time job and a big ass overdraft, no grants, no bursaries, no parental help. My morgtage holding friends think I've lost it. Especially as they STILL recieve thousands of pounds worth of help from their parents, they have no idea what it actually takes to live on a budget.

The words "I'm a bit broke" have many meanings, to some (like me) it means "my overdraft is spent and I'm living on tomato pasta for the next month until I get paid again so no, I cannot come out on a £50 a night bender" to others it means "I have a couple of hundred left before my overdraft and the credit cards and my savings, but you know, I'm feeling scroogey so I'm going to tell you I'm as broke as you are but tomorrow I'm going to go out and spend some money on some stuff I don't need".

So us broke people will forever be annoyed by those born with silver spoons in various bodily orifices. Those with the silver spoons are prbably going to get annoyed with the broke peoples moaning but, in my experience, those of us who have little manage better in the long run. If the help was there (which I can assure you, it is not) I wouldn't want it really. I am far more resourceful than my wealthier friends and I swear blind that I have more fun than they do...

Make of that what you will ;-)
    Unlucky
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    haha, i don't use taxis, but some people do though, *shrugs*
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Mum's going to send me home-made cakes and whatnot, but not any money. I need a part-time job because my loan leaves me with about £10 a week after my accommodation, which fortunately is catered.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    The 10-20 pounds is on top of 50 pounds a week though, is that still really low? What's the average that people live on?
    you'll probably be fine I have about £30 a week, but thats as i don't get a student loan and am living off savings till i get a job
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Budgie)
    Seriously, someone please explain to me the animosity towards being supported by your parents. It's meant to be like that, that's why loans and bursaries are means tested.
    no thats so the government dont have to spend more money

university to me is a transition period where you should be learning how to manage money on your own so getting funded by parents takes away alot of learning how to live in the real world
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My mother just gave me £2100
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmdx)
    jack sh*t
    it annoys me so much that there's so many people that are rich enough to just expect even more money from their parents, even though they can get a student loan for themselves, an overdraft for themselves, a job for themselves, and their parents are no longer getting any sort of child tax credits or anything for them

man up
    live your own life
    take responsibility for yourself
    nuff said
    You're a ****ing idiot... the vast majority of student finance is means tested, so if your parents are rich and don't give you money, then the loan you get doesn't even cover accommodation. And it might be nice to be able to eat from time to time. Obviously parents shouldn't be picking up all the bills, but neither should they completely cut you loose, so that their wealth is actually hurting you. Moron.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing
    • 44 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmdx)
    I'm not sore
    that's fine
    I don't have a problem with people getting money off their parents

but the way this thread was written, to me it seems like a place for people to brag about or bitch about how much they're getting from their parents
    I don't see why that had to be the specific question
    if this isn't just a thread for the richer uni students to post in about how much they're getting from home, why couldn't it be asked how much money in total people are going to live off

how much money you will be getting off your parents is completely irrelevant in the first place if you don't say how much loan you're getting in the first place

I could say I'm getting £400 a month, but if I'm not taking out a maintenance loan, it's not making a huge difference to the lifestyle I can keep up at uni
    alternatively I could say I'm getting nothing off my parents, but getting te full amount of loans bursaries and grants totalling almost £6k a year
    which would put me in a better postion than the person with £400 a month
    and after that it all depends where you live and how much rent you'll have to pay

it's all relative,
    so I just don't see the point in even asking the question?
    Ahh, I understand. Yeah, that seems reasonable.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing at all.

No parents around.

A heck of a boyfriend though <3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    no thats so the government dont have to spend more money

university to me is a transition period where you should be learning how to manage money on your own so getting funded by parents takes away alot of learning how to live in the real world
    Rrrright. So the idea is that those whose parents are poor - such that they get grants and bursaries - should be better off than those whose parents aren't? Rubbish. A degree of parental financial support in proportion to their household income is assumed.
Updated: February 10, 2013
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.