The Student Room Group

nus card as ID?

Hi

I (finally) passed my driving test last week but the problem is, ive sent my Provisional License off so now i dont really have a form of proper ID. I was wondering whether its possible to use my NUS card as ID since it has my DOB and a picture on the back. I dont really want to carry around my passport since its such a big problem if it gets lost and its not exactly a small thing to carry around. Has anyone tried to use there NUS card as ID when going to the pub/club? (btw I'm 19 and in my second year of uni so I also have that as ID I guess)
It depends on the place, but in my experience a lot of places aren't impressed with it. I was turned down at TESCO the other day for using my NUS card as ID (I passed my driving test last week as well so have the same problem). I'm using my passport at the moment until my proper licence comes back.
Reply 2
I doubt it. When I did my NUS card in college I got to write my DOB on it, it's probably pretty easy to have lied. It's not official or checked in any way so they have every right to refuse you.

My license came through quite quickly though so you might be lucky to get it back by the end of this week or so.
Reply 3
you may get away with an NUS card/University card in the Union but they won't accept it in non-University venues. Just take your passport out with you, I use mine for ID all the time. Been using it for well over a year now and I haven't lost it!

It's only for a short period of time though, shouldn't take too long for your driving license to come through.
NUS are **** though, expire every year.
Reply 5
Wow thanks for the quick response!! I think I'll have to take my passport with me since I'm moving back up to Hull next week, hopefully it'll come back in time!

Original post by Limesasquatch
NUS are **** though, expire every year.

Tbh I've found mine quite useful for getting student rate cinema stuff and i use it on my amazon and play.com purchases when i can so I get my moneys worth. Just depends on how much you use it really.
I have to use my passport. A few times I've forgotten in or not thought I'd need it and then ended up using the nus card and I don't think it has ever been accepted!

I was so annoyed last time though, I went to a pub with a few friends in Richmond, I didn't want alcohol, it was like 5 in the afternoon and I ordered a diet coke. Everyone I was with were in their 20s and had ID to prove it, and I'm 22 myself and I don't look younger. I was refused the diet coke as they had a policy that to drink there in general, didn't matter what it was, you had to have ID. It was the most ridiculous thing! I did try to use my nus card then too, and simply had to explain that I didn't have my passport with me, I just wanted a soft drink and the card has my picture and my date of birth... but no. Driving license or passport only. I couldn't believe it!
Reply 7
nah it wont work, its really easy to fake because thats what my friends would do.
Original post by ArjunT
Wow thanks for the quick response!! I think I'll have to take my passport with me since I'm moving back up to Hull next week, hopefully it'll come back in time!

Tbh I've found mine quite useful for getting student rate cinema stuff and i use it on my amazon and play.com purchases when i can so I get my moneys worth. Just depends on how much you use it really.

I don't use it enough! I'm ashamed. Every time I bought a drink or crisps I could have got my moneys worth. And I haven't really bought anything over that price in a while.
Reply 9
I used mine in a corner shop but then again the guy that served me didn't look like he cared much, it probably depends on the place, can't imagine it being accepted in clubs/bars
Reply 10
where i work, its driving license, passport, national ID card or PASS hologram only

my mate used his NUS on me with the DOB making him over 18 haha, he was like 16/17
Reply 11
its funny, I was without my driving license for 10 days and even though i went out to meet my friends etc 3 times i wasnt denied ID. When i went to my friends local pub they were happy with my NUS card and uni id but they said i needed to bring my id next time. Same thing happened when i ordered 1 drink at the pool place and the one drink at my local pub. So I guess I was lucky really. I received my pink license in about 10 days since I passed on the 6th and received it today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending