The Student Room Group

My theory as to why girls on this site love skinny guys so much

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Retrodiction
You realise that a TSR girl is simply a real life girl with TSR, right? And I wouldn't say it's disproportionate - about 90% of the girls I know who have mentioned their preferences to me claim to prefer guys that aren't gym-obsessed and overbearingly or even over-averagely muscular... they seem to like slight amounts of 'podge' for some reason. Times have clearly changed...
And that is a good thing? I find the growing apathy for a healthy and fit lifestyle seriously worrying. You got a thread on here that attacks passionate people towards academia. Now we have people here loving a bit of podge, some even against lean, fit muscular men. I like to think TSR isn't representative of our generation, or I hope. :s-smilie:
Original post by Reformed2010
And that is a good thing? I find the growing apathy for a healthy and fit lifestyle seriously worrying. You got a thread on here that attacks passionate people towards academia. Now we have people here loving a bit of podge, some even against lean, fit muscular men. I like to think TSR isn't representative of our generation, or I hope. :s-smilie:

Please direct me to the point at which I claimed it was a good thing. Besides, podge =/= unhealthily overweight. And sure, we have people here that like podge and dislike OTT muscle, but as I made purposefully clear in my original comment, I know lots of people, including lots of girls, and the attitude on TSR seems to reflect my experiences of people outside TSR> Besides, TSR girls are merely real-life girls that happen to have TSR.
Original post by Retrodiction
Please direct me to the point at which I claimed it was a good thing. Besides, podge =/= unhealthily overweight. And sure, we have people here that like podge and dislike OTT muscle, but as I made purposefully clear in my original comment, I know lots of people, including lots of girls, and the attitude on TSR seems to reflect my experiences of people outside TSR> Besides, TSR girls are merely real-life girls that happen to have TSR.
I never claimed you did say it was a good thing. I was asking if you thought it was good thing that people accept podgy people. Yes TSR girls are real life girls, but one can still wonder if the girls on TSR are a fair reflection of girls in the country. It's like asking are the members on the forum a fair reflection of the youth in Britain? i seriously doubt that. Anyway, in all my experiences the girls I've met and know go crazy over muscle and not podgy guys. So yes, it is a surprise for me to read comments of girls freaking over men in very good shape. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by Smack
Your preference seems to be based on your ignorance. It doesn't take all that time at all "to be muscley", certainly not to the point where it demands to be your main or exclusive hobby.

Would you feel differently if you knew that it only takes a few hours a week?

Thanks for the patronisation, but I'm well aware.
A few hours a week is still too much in my opinion, unless you happen to have a particularly demanding sporting hobby, like climbing, that will actually get you to that state whilst doing something interesting!
I was merely suggesting that gym-going itself is dull. I'm not saying you have to be there for 12386234 hours a day to build muscle, but that small attendance is still enough of turn-off for me. Just my humble opinion. :dontknow:

If a person is muscley alongside their hobby rather than it being simply the goal of the hobby, it's much more attractive.
(But still not, in my opinion, necessary for attraction.)
(edited 12 years ago)
oh hai
Original post by Valmonte
How many assumptions are in this post?

So those with muscles can't make someone laugh? And they're compensating? Oh that old chestnut. You sound intimidated maybe because you're a skinny rake that's been bullied his whole life, see what I did there? Your disdain is obvious.

And the last part of your post is the most ridiculous, just because you have some muscles doesn't mean you're an obsessive bodybuilder.

You're sounding a bit defensive there! Did I touch a nerve? I did after all precede those statements with the word "maybe". I thought it was pretty obvious it was speculation. After all, how am I to know what girls like, seeing as I'm not a girl?
I personally couldn't give a **** how big I am compared to others. If you care so much, I'm probably an average build. I don't care, I'm happy with myself.

Isn't it funny how you pick me up on drawing assumptions, yet your inability to comprehend written words has led you to doing the exact same?
Reply 86
Original post by JayTeeKay
You're sounding a bit defensive there! Did I touch a nerve? I did after all precede those statements with the word "maybe". I thought it was pretty obvious it was speculation. After all, how am I to know what girls like, seeing as I'm not a girl?
I personally couldn't give a **** how big I am compared to others. If you care so much, I'm probably an average build. I don't care, I'm happy with myself.

Isn't it funny how you pick me up on drawing assumptions, yet your inability to comprehend written words has led you to doing the exact same?

Nope just pointing out how hilarious the post was dude.

To be frank I couldn't care less about what you look like. And me making 'assumptions' was the whole point, go figure.
Reply 87
Chances are girls on TSR have no chance of getting with attractive males with what is more commonly seen as an 'attractive' body. They then convince themselves that they like skinny or fat guys as this is basically what they'll have to settle for, in reality if they had Hugh Jackman after them they'd be frothing at the gash.
Original post by Rananagirl
A few hours a week is still too much in my opinion, unless you happen to have a particularly demanding sporting hobby, like climbing, that will actually get you to that state whilst doing something interesting!
I was merely suggesting that gym-going itself is dull. I'm not saying you have to be there for 12386234 hours a day to build muscle, but that small attendance is still enough of turn-off for me. Just my humble opinion. :dontknow:

If a person is muscley alongside their hobby rather than it being simply the goal of the hobby, it's much more attractive.

Do you ever wear make-up?
Original post by Valmonte
Nope just pointing out how hilarious the post was dude.

To be frank I couldn't care less about what you look like. And me making 'assumptions' was the whole point, go figure.

Obviously not. Big man, small brain? Or small penis? Or both? :biggrin:
Reply 90
Most girls on this site are underage and haven't even experienced a good pounding yet. When they go to uni and get passed around like a spliff, they will realize that their emaciated emo boyfriend's glutes are not cut out for providing maximum amount of rythm and thrust to satisfy their sexual needs.
Reply 91
Original post by JayTeeKay
Obviously not. Big man, small brain? Or small penis? Or both? :biggrin:

Haha original. And neither but I'm sure that won't stop you from fantasising though :smile:
Original post by Pearl_Lyng
Wrong, wrong, wrong. I cannot speak for other girls, of course, but I respect men who take the time to build some muscle. BUT, I honestly just simply cannot find it a turn on.

Slender guys are elegant and graceful. Now that's sexy. :sexface:

Maybe my mindset is due to me being Asian? Gay looking Korean/Japanese/Chinese popstars are all the rage here, if you've noticed. It must be something in the water... :rolleyes:

I'm not bulky but I'm not elegant and graceful :facepalm2:

My stupid long legs don't agree with the rest of me D;
Original post by Movember
i am sure anyone who has browsed the non-academic sections of this site for a short while will have noticed the disproportionate number of girls here who love skinny guys. compared to real life where girls like a guy who has muscle on him (of course not over the top, but most guys recognise what over the top looks like and you would probably need anabolic drugs to get to the over the top stage, or at least 10+ years of lifting).

my theory is that girls on this site associate guys who like to work out (work out = lifting weights, to avoid any confusion) often and put on lots of muscle as vain/self-obsessed/narcissistic. this is of course a wrong assumption most of the time - they have taken or seen a few examples of guys who have lots of muscle and are vain (often in the media) and then extrapolated it to ALL guys who like to work out and put on muscle.

they might not wish to have a guy who is vain as a boyfriend. But MORE IMPORTANTLY, they don't want to be seen as shallow and only obsessed with looks. these girls think that other people think that these guys are vain/self-obsessed/narcissistic. these girls don't want to be thought of like that. they want to be thought of as not shallow and considering a guy's personality more than their looks. so they go for skinny guys who aren't in shape, because they think by doing this, other people won't view them as shallow and only caring about looks.

the wrong assumption girls on this site make is that all guys who lift weights and like to put on muscle are vain and have bad personalities. that could not be further from the truth. most guys i know who lift are intelligent and well-rounded individuals, who are tarnished by a very small minority of 'meatheads'.

who agrees with my theory and what are your thoughts?:tongue:

If I would be that busy assuming, regarding and thinking, my mind would be totally blocked from falling in love.
Girls are emotional, and do fall in love, and don't think that much all the time..
My brain I use for thinking, my heart for loving.
Reply 94
Original post by Smack
Do you ever wear make-up?

Not unless it's a special occasion, but what on Earth does that have to do with anything?
Mate, I'm not saying muscles are unattractive, they're just not my thing and it's not because of the OP's theory or yours.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
What about a slightly overweight muscular guy? :/
Original post by Movember
i am sure anyone who has browsed the non-academic sections of this site for a short while will have noticed the disproportionate number of girls here who love skinny guys. compared to real life where girls like a guy who has muscle on him (of course not over the top, but most guys recognise what over the top looks like and you would probably need anabolic drugs to get to the over the top stage, or at least 10+ years of lifting).

my theory is that girls on this site associate guys who like to work out (work out = lifting weights, to avoid any confusion) often and put on lots of muscle as vain/self-obsessed/narcissistic. this is of course a wrong assumption most of the time - they have taken or seen a few examples of guys who have lots of muscle and are vain (often in the media) and then extrapolated it to ALL guys who like to work out and put on muscle.

they might not wish to have a guy who is vain as a boyfriend. but MORE IMPORTANTLY, they don't want to be seen as shallow and only obsessed with looks. these girls think that other people think that these guys are vain/self-obsessed/narcissistic. these girls don't want to be thought of like that. they want to be thought of as not shallow and considering a guy's personality more than their looks. so they go for skinny guys who aren't in shape, because they think by doing this, other people won't view them as shallow and only caring about looks.

the wrong assumption girls on this site make is that all guys who lift weights and like to put on muscle are vain and have bad personalities. that could not be further from the truth. most guys i know who lift are intelligent and well-rounded individuals, who are tarnished by a very small minority of 'meatheads'.

who agrees with my theory and what are your thoughts?:tongue:

To an extent; you are right in saying most women don't like going out with vain men because they don't want to be thought of as vain. But the fact is that vain men are often shallow and overcompensate for a lack of personality or intelligence by focusing on what they look like. Also, it's not nice to be held to such a high standard all the time. I'd feel very insecure about what that person thought of me if they kept banging on about what they looked like, because I've accepted what I look like and don't particularly want to be pressured to change. I don't think all men that workout are like that but a great many are and I find it off-putting.

I'm not really into "bulked up" or athletic guys. Muscles do nothing for me. I much prefer an average joe with a similar, relatively carefree attitude to his appearance as I have. However much i hate to admit it; the external can reflect the internal to an extent. I'm fairly certain that I wouldn't have enough attraction for, or common interests with a guy that lives in the gym. I tend to find boyfriends in libraries, small pubs, coffee shops etc because I opt for an intellectual, grounded, normal guy who focuses more on his mind than his body.

People have different types - there's no definable theory as such. You can't really help who you are or are not attracted to. There's someone out there for everyone at the end of the day.

Not unless it's a special occasion, but what on Earth does that have to do with anything?
Mate, I'm not saying muscles are unattractive, they're just not my thing and it's not because of the OP's theory or yours.

I don't usually get involved in these arguments because they're stupid, but that is a pretty weird view to take that someone who does something you find boring for a few hours a week is a turn off. How many couples do you think spend literally every minute of every day doing something the other person finds interesting? As Smack points out, pretty much every man finds the time a woman spends putting on makeup dull, but it would be ridiculous to call that a turn-off. It's like being turned off someone because he likes watching The Simpsons on Channel 4 every day and you don't.
Reply 98
Original post by burningnun
I don't usually get involved in these arguments because they're stupid, but that is a pretty weird view to take that someone who does something you find boring for a few hours a week is a turn off. How many couples do you think spend literally every minute of every day doing something the other person finds interesting? As Smack points out, pretty much every man finds the time a woman spends putting on makeup dull, but it would be ridiculous to call that a turn-off. It's like being turned off someone because he likes watching The Simpsons on Channel 4 every day and you don't.

Well it's a discussion, so you're more than welcome to comment.
I never said being with a regular gym-goer is absolutely out of the question, it's just really not my thing and "yes" I do find it important that my partner and I share mostly similar if not the same interests. (Which we do, as it happens.)

Also, I get the makeup argument, but that simply does not apply to me. My boyfriend finds it unnecessary and boring, and so do I, therefore I don't do it unless it's something really special we're/I'm going to. I am not a high (or even mid-) maintenance person and it's natural for me to prefer somebody who matches that. :dontknow:

Perhaps because my situation is already ideal (for me) I'm being too harsh, but there must be certain interests or hobbies which would put you off a girl as well? You cannot honestly claim to be entirely accepting of every possible interest. (And I'm sorry, but the gym is just a pet-hate of mine.)
EDIT: I think I should reiterate my point about how physical/sporting activity is attractive to me when done solely for enjoyment and not just aesthetics.
(edited 12 years ago)
Well it's a discussion, so you're more than welcome to comment.
I never said being with a regular gym-goer is absolutely out of the question, it's just really not my thing and "yes" I do find it important that my partner and I share mostly similar if not the same interests. (Which we do, as it happens.)

Also, I get the makeup argument, but that simply does not apply to me. My boyfriend finds it unnecessary and boring, and so do I, therefore I don't do it unless it's something really special we're/I'm going to. I am not a high (or even mid-) maintenance person and it's natural for me to prefer somebody who matches that. :dontknow:

Perhaps because my situation is already ideal (for me) I'm being too harsh, but there must be certain interests or hobbies which would put you off a girl as well? You cannot honestly claim to be entirely accepting of every possible interest. (And I'm sorry, but the gym is just a pet-hate of mine.)
EDIT: I think I should reiterate my point about how physical/sporting activity is attractive to me when done solely for enjoyment and not just aesthetics.

I still dont understand why a guy 'going to the gym everyday' is 'not your thing' - who are you to judge? If my girlfreind was unhappy id tell her where to get off, why? because i like going to the gym. its convenient, it has all the euipment i need.

I really dont see the problem with going to the gym everyday, its not obession, its taking care of my body, and if you cant see that, then good luck to you and your boyfreinds health in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest