The Student Room Group

What skills do you gain from studying Psychology at A Level?

What skills do you gain from psychology at A level that are useful, adaptable and attractive to potential employers?
You don't.

In all seriousness, essay writing maybe? Alternatively, write your own CV or look in the CV guidance section on this website.
Its a bit like biology, in that its mostly memorization. However It better than biology in that you learn how to criticize evidence, we learnt a bit of the philosophy of science in our last unit, and also you gain some skills in writing essays in timed conditions.

If you got a good mark you can say that it shows your hardworking.
(edited 12 years ago)
Nothing to be honest. At least with my exam board you weren't required to write anything resembling a good quality essay, just cite facts and evaluative points until you run out.

So maybe a good memory, but that's sort of innate.

If you're scraping the barrel you could say you have to think critically as often evaluation of studies involves picking out potential weaknesses and improvements to minimise variables etc. so it shows you're capable of thinking about problems and suggesting ways around them.
Reply 4
Original post by iammichealjackson
Its a bit like biology, in that its mostly memorization. However It better than biology in that you learn how to criticize evidence, we learnt a bit of the philosophy of science in our last unit, and also you gain some skills in writing essays in timed conditions.

If you got a good mark you can say that it shows your hardworking.

It was a few years ago when I did my A levels, but in my day (god I sound old :tongue:) we were also memorising set criticisms. Has this changed?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bluth.
It was a few years ago when I did my A levels, but in my day (god I sound old :tongue:) we were also memorising set criticisms. Has this changed?

I can't say its really changed a lot. My spec (AQA B) doesn't seem to have as much of it as others specs have however...

Quick Reply

Latest