Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, my motivation has deserted me. I intentionally stayed here at uni for two weeks after we broke up for Easter so I could write my dissertation, a complete draft of the whole thing. I have yet to write a word and I go home on Thursday I feel like I've wasted this time, I've been reading for it but nothing seems to be coming together argument wise. I'm not sleeping well at all and so I'm like a zombie in the daytime, unable to form a coherent sentence if I tried. I really don't want to be writing this damn thing when its exam time (my deadline is right in the middle) as I need to focus on revision! Argh! Coffee time I think...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    FINISHED!!! - And Finally happy with it!!! 19,953. Handing in tomorrow
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urgh so behind at the moment due to 11 weeks of teaching placement which has enough work in itself . So still have analysis and conclusion to do, all the questionnaires still need analysed. Any advice on getting back on top of the work.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    QUESTION

Okay... I'm doing my dissertation on how the EMU affects trade between Britain and adopting/non-adopting countries. (Basically looking at whether there is trade diversion.) The thing is, most economic models use log-linear models due to ease and the fact a lot of economists don't have a good enough grounding in mathematics/statistical theory to deal with other models. However recent work by Santos Silva and Tenreyro has found a PPML estimation method is much more apppropriate and reduces bias in the estimates.

However there has only been two instances of using this new method for economic modelling.

In your dissertation, would you be penalised for using a new/non-traditional method of analysis if it has a strong mathematical basis? Or is it more appropriate to simply stick with the traditional method and highlight the limitations of it, suggesting this new technique as one they may improve estimates?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Starting to panic on stats and different methods and phylogentic trees

I think I'll start afresh on that tomorrow and read up and email my supervisor tomorrow to understand it.

For now i'll finish another section on my discussion and hopefully calm down
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gahhhh... I've only written ~4000 words. Was really hoping to have ~6000 words done at least, if not closer to ~7000. Why can't I just focus on work and not be distracted by TSR and Facebook?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    QUESTION

Okay... I'm doing my dissertation on how the EMU affects trade between Britain and adopting/non-adopting countries. (Basically looking at whether there is trade diversion.) The thing is, most economic models use log-linear models due to ease and the fact a lot of economists don't have a good enough grounding in mathematics/statistical theory to deal with other models. However recent work by Santos Silva and Tenreyro has found a PPML estimation method is much more apppropriate and reduces bias in the estimates.

However there has only been two instances of using this new method for economic modelling.

In your dissertation, would you be penalised for using a new/non-traditional method of analysis if it has a strong mathematical basis? Or is it more appropriate to simply stick with the traditional method and highlight the limitations of it, suggesting this new technique as one they may improve estimates?
    I'm no expert but I was reading through some of last years dissos in my department. the person who used the most unusual and new method of econometrics got the highest mark. I would say mention the other method and also if possible try to do both with a comparison.

If you do cross sectional you are pretty much expected to do probit and logit so that you can compare despite there being an approximation between them.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Gahhhh... I've only written ~4000 words. Was really hoping to have ~6000 words done at least, if not closer to ~7000. Why can't I just focus on work and not be distracted by TSR and Facebook?!
    When you find an answer to that, let me know, please :sigh: Five hours in the library yesterday, and I produced as many graphs as I had facebook chats :getmecoat:

Having a minor diss panic. All data collection will be finished in the next 72 hours, but then I only have 26 days to analyse it all (and at a rate of 3 graphs to five hours, I suspect this may be a slow process) and write everything up. 8000 words to go.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I still have to write my introduction chapter how long was everybody on this threads' introduction?x please help x
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
    I still have to write my introduction chapter how long was everybody on this threads' introduction?x please help x
    Its about 3k words out of a 10k (min word limit) for a meta analysis IS.

I am re-writing my results and discussion got a slight problem as I had set out to have another meeting with supervisor but cant now as something has come up and he has to go back to brighton on the plus side he emailed me an awesome pic

I might have the chance to see him tomorrow morning if he goes in before catching the train i said i'll update him with anything I get/do its a matter of now making sure its all finished hopefully he wont make too many major changes its due in the friday were back.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by introduction. I have a 300 word introduction, which just kinda pulls out the key points of my (5500 word) literature review in order to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Depends what you mean by introduction. I have a 300 word introduction, which just kinda pulls out the key points of my (5500 word) literature review in order to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing.
    That's ok then, I have 450ish words for introduction now and similarish number of words as you have for literature review so you have reassured me thanks. Just need to finish up intro then move onto discussion chapter
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    dissertation due on the 24th! Still have to polish off one chapter, write my lit review and conclusion!! (((((((((((((((
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Gah so jelly people are finishing their dissertations! I'm supposed to be working on mine solidly till mid June Skiing trip next week will be much welcomed
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    Gah so jelly people are finishing their dissertations! I'm supposed to be working on mine solidly till mid June Skiing trip next week will be much welcomed
    I finished a 10,000 one around a week ago.

I'm now starting my second dissertation which is 6,000 words and due in at the end of the month.

Once you've done 10,000; 6,000 doesn't seem so bad!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's ok then, I have 450ish words for introduction now and similarish number of words as you have for literature review so you have reassured me thanks. Just need to finish up intro then move onto discussion chapter
    The thing is, it will depend entirely on your specific discipline and the type/focus of your dissertation. For example, my intro is going to be ~700 words and my literature review only ~2000 words. But then I've written ~3000 words on my empirical methodology.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a kind of dissertation (it's a course essay, 8000 words and it counts for just as much as my dissertation next year).
    It's on children's literature and censorship.
    I'm about 800 words in and I really don't know where I'm going with structure.
    My longest essay was half the length.
    It's also due in in about 3 weeks time. SO lost. Any advice?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundogs)
    I'm doing a kind of dissertation (it's a course essay, 8000 words and it counts for just as much as my dissertation next year).
    It's on children's literature and censorship.
    I'm about 800 words in and I really don't know where I'm going with structure.
    My longest essay was half the length.
    It's also due in in about 3 weeks time. SO lost. Any advice?
    Sounds amazing. Have you checked banned book week? What's the question?

I have just over a month left... I am wanting to finish introduction today and just have to refine it, stick in a couple of definitions and send it to my supervisor then start discussion chapter
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    I finished a 10,000 one around a week ago.

I'm now starting my second dissertation which is 6,000 words and due in at the end of the month.

Once you've done 10,000; 6,000 doesn't seem so bad!
    Ouch! Well, my dissertations a bit different I think to most unis ... it's supposed to be around 100 pages long (including appendices). Though my tutors been nice and said 50 is fine if it's all quality
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds amazing. Have you checked banned book week? What's the question?

I have just over a month left... I am wanting to finish introduction today and just have to refine it, stick in a couple of definitions and send it to my supervisor then start discussion chapter
    Title is 'Post 1945 Children's Literature and its Censorship"

I had a look yes, I've done most of the reading and research, just need to write the damn thing!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 17, 2013
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.