The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

I still have to write my introduction chapter :colondollar: how long was everybody on this threads' introduction?x please help x
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
I still have to write my introduction chapter :colondollar: how long was everybody on this threads' introduction?x please help x

Its about 3k words out of a 10k (min word limit) for a meta analysis IS.

I am re-writing my results and discussion got a slight problem as I had set out to have another meeting with supervisor but cant now as something has come up and he has to go back to brighton on the plus side he emailed me an awesome pic :biggrin:

I might have the chance to see him tomorrow morning if he goes in before catching the train i said i'll update him with anything I get/do its a matter of now making sure its all finished hopefully he wont make too many major changes its due in the friday were back.

Depends what you mean by introduction. I have a 300 word introduction, which just kinda pulls out the key points of my (5500 word) literature review in order to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Depends what you mean by introduction. I have a 300 word introduction, which just kinda pulls out the key points of my (5500 word) literature review in order to explain why I'm doing what I'm doing.

That's ok then, I have 450ish words for introduction now and similarish number of words as you have for literature review so you have reassured me :smile: thanks. Just need to finish up intro then move onto discussion chapter
Reply 824
dissertation due on the 24th! Still have to polish off one chapter, write my lit review and conclusion!! :frown:(((((((((((((((
Reply 825
Gah so jelly people are finishing their dissertations! I'm supposed to be working on mine solidly till mid June :frown: Skiing trip next week will be much welcomed
Reply 826
Original post by Peel
Gah so jelly people are finishing their dissertations! I'm supposed to be working on mine solidly till mid June :frown: Skiing trip next week will be much welcomed

I finished a 10,000 one around a week ago.

I'm now starting my second dissertation which is 6,000 words and due in at the end of the month.

Once you've done 10,000; 6,000 doesn't seem so bad!
Reply 827
That's ok then, I have 450ish words for introduction now and similarish number of words as you have for literature review so you have reassured me :smile: thanks. Just need to finish up intro then move onto discussion chapter

The thing is, it will depend entirely on your specific discipline and the type/focus of your dissertation. For example, my intro is going to be ~700 words and my literature review only ~2000 words. But then I've written ~3000 words on my empirical methodology.
Reply 828
I'm doing a kind of dissertation (it's a course essay, 8000 words and it counts for just as much as my dissertation next year).
It's on children's literature and censorship.
I'm about 800 words in and I really don't know where I'm going with structure.
My longest essay was half the length.
It's also due in in about 3 weeks time. SO lost. Any advice?
Original post by sundogs
I'm doing a kind of dissertation (it's a course essay, 8000 words and it counts for just as much as my dissertation next year).
It's on children's literature and censorship.
I'm about 800 words in and I really don't know where I'm going with structure.
My longest essay was half the length.
It's also due in in about 3 weeks time. SO lost. Any advice?

Sounds amazing. Have you checked banned book week? What's the question?

I have just over a month left... I am wanting to finish introduction today and just have to refine it, stick in a couple of definitions and send it to my supervisor then start discussion chapter :smile:
Reply 830
Original post by Akkuz
I finished a 10,000 one around a week ago.

I'm now starting my second dissertation which is 6,000 words and due in at the end of the month.

Once you've done 10,000; 6,000 doesn't seem so bad!

Ouch! Well, my dissertations a bit different I think to most unis ... it's supposed to be around 100 pages long (including appendices). Though my tutors been nice and said 50 is fine if it's all quality
Reply 831
Sounds amazing. Have you checked banned book week? What's the question?

I have just over a month left... I am wanting to finish introduction today and just have to refine it, stick in a couple of definitions and send it to my supervisor then start discussion chapter :smile:

Title is 'Post 1945 Children's Literature and its Censorship"

I had a look yes, I've done most of the reading and research, just need to write the damn thing!
Reply 832
Original post by Peel
Ouch! Well, my dissertations a bit different I think to most unis ... it's supposed to be around 100 pages long (including appendices). Though my tutors been nice and said 50 is fine if it's all quality

We don't have a page limit. My 10,000 one is around ~80 pages. The one I'm doing now will be about half that :P

But yeah absolutely quality over quantity.
Reply 833
My tutor said I have to include a 'level of confidence' in my methodology. Can anyone help me? I do not have a clue on how to start on it.
Reply 834
I'm doing English Lit, currently working on a dissertation on "Thomas Hardy and Perception" (with a side order of theory from Walter Pater and Foucault). Haven't started writing it yet, struggling to cram all the ideas and research I've done into a coherent plan and somewhat worried about stringing my rather-simple argument out for 8000 words. It's due on May 5th. Anyone know any good tips for dissertation structure?
Reply 835
Original post by Akkuz
We don't have a page limit. My 10,000 one is around ~80 pages. The one I'm doing now will be about half that :P

But yeah absolutely quality over quantity.

Oh I didnt realise 10,000 words was so many pages! Don't feel so bad anymore :tongue: Mines mainly a computing based progress so it can be extremely slow at times :/
Intro is now 973 (incl. subheadings).. just need supervisor to look over it:colone:.
Onwards and upwards.. to the discussion chapter :smile: from scratch eeek.

I'm starting to apply for masters' programmes.. am I wise? :colondollar: Do I really want to put myself through another dissertation next year?
Reply 837
I'm starting to apply for masters' programmes.. am I wise? :colondollar: Do I really want to put myself through another dissertation next year?

I was thinking this too. The thought of doing a 3rd dissertation next year is mighty depressing haha but I'm sure once the time comes around it'll be okay! :tongue:

And having already done one, it wont feel as bad.
Intro is now 973 (incl. subheadings).. just need supervisor to look over it:colone:.
Onwards and upwards.. to the discussion chapter :smile: from scratch eeek.

Good luck! Personally I will be very happy to be back on a course next year where all assessment is by exams!
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Good luck! Personally I will be very happy to be back on a course next year where all assessment is by exams!

I chose my modules purposefully this year to ensure there were no exams :colondollar: because I can't revise due to my poor attention span :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest