The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 840
500 words into my 2nd dissertation.

5,500 words till my last assignment at undergrad is over :woo: #motivation!
Anyone know how to improve the style of writing? I'm told I write well but not elegantly :s
Reply 842
Original post by Mr Advice
Anyone know how to improve the style of writing? I'm told I write well but not elegantly :s

Try to imitate the style in which academics write? Obviously, keep it to your natural style and don't go overboard but just keep reading and really look at how they write.
Original post by aeterno
Try to imitate the style in which academics write? Obviously, keep it to your natural style and don't go overboard but just keep reading and really look at how they write.

Hmm, yeah I could try that. But it's so tough.
Original post by Akkuz
500 words into my 2nd dissertation.

5,500 words till my last assignment at undergrad is over :woo: #motivation!

keep going that is good progress :smile:

I neeed to do some discussion work tonight because I arranged a meeting with my supervisor plus I am working (part-time job) ALLL next week (37 hrs 15mins paid (excluding all the breaks so I'll be in work a lot longer) So I really have to get my finger out ... :colondollar:
Reply 845
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
keep going that is good progress :smile:

I neeed to do some discussion work tonight because I arranged a meeting with my supervisor plus I am working (part-time job) ALLL next week (37 hrs 15mins paid (excluding all the breaks so I'll be in work a lot longer) So I really have to get my finger out ... :colondollar:

thank you :smile: good luck to you too!

ouchie! if you manage your time well, it should be fine! time-management is the key :tongue:

I'm going to meet a professor tomorrow at a London uni tomorrow, who's agreed to help me with my research paper :biggrin: He's the author of a book I randomly picked up, emailed him..and he agreed to meet me. So, it's definitely worth emailing academics and asking for help - after all, if its a subject area they love and work on for a living, they would probably be happy to help!
1261 words of discussion chapter like a boss :colone:! It might be all rubbish and there is still very long way to go but it'll be all right on the day!:smile:
Reply 847
Original post by aeterno
Let's hope so! :biggrin:

Finished? :biggrin:
Reply 848
Original post by Akkuz
Finished? :biggrin:

Yes! :biggrin:

I got an extension for it just in case so slightly less panicky when my supervisor was taking ages :tongue: It looks so pretty all bound and stuff :love:

You? :biggrin:
Reply 849
Original post by aeterno
Yes! :biggrin:

I got an extension for it just in case so slightly less panicky when my supervisor was taking ages :tongue: It looks so pretty all bound and stuff :love:

You? :biggrin:

Sweet! Congratulations :biggrin: :biggrin:

Supervisor is reading over my draft over the holiday. I'll make the changes she suggests then hand it in :smile:

In the meantime I've started my 2nd dissertation. So stressed out! :sad:
Reply 850
Original post by Akkuz
Sweet! Congratulations :biggrin: :biggrin:

Supervisor is reading over my draft over the holiday. I'll make the changes she suggests then hand it in :smile:

In the meantime I've started my 2nd dissertation. So stressed out! :sad:

Thank you! :biggrin:

Awesome! Hopefully you won't have too many changes to make :yep:

Why would you subject yourself to such torture?! :zomg: Good luck! :hugs:
Reply 851
Original post by aeterno
Thank you! :biggrin:

Awesome! Hopefully you won't have too many changes to make :yep:

Why would you subject yourself to such torture?! :zomg: Good luck! :hugs:

I guess your free now! :biggrin: Enjoy!

I hope so, I hope so..

God knows. I'm just crazy. I only need something like 65% on this report :mmm: but I'm aiming for 75-80%. Just formulated my own statistical framework to make it all fancy and clever. I have no idea what I'm doing but it looks good :borat:
Reply 852
Original post by Akkuz
I guess your free now! :biggrin: Enjoy!

I hope so, I hope so..

God knows. I'm just crazy. I only need something like 65% on this report :mmm: but I'm aiming for 75-80%. Just formulated my own statistical framework to make it all fancy and clever. I have no idea what I'm doing but it looks good :borat:

I wish I was free :sad: Still got so much work to do :emo:

Fingers crossed! :biggrin:

Aim high, innit! :awesome: Get you, being all original and creative! :biggrin: (Me jelly :ninja:) But seriously, good luck with that you crazy, crazy person! :tongue:
Reply 853
Original post by aeterno
I wish I was free :sad: Still got so much work to do :emo:

Fingers crossed! :biggrin:

Aim high, innit! :awesome: Get you, being all original and creative! :biggrin: (Me jelly :ninja:) But seriously, good luck with that you crazy, crazy person! :tongue:

At least there's not long to go!

Jelly :excited: Thank you! Good luck to you also. See you on the other side hopefully!

I'm going to need this thread so much in the coming weeks to rant haha.
Reply 854
Original post by Akkuz
At least there's not long to go!

Jelly :excited: Thank you! Good luck to you also. See you on the other side hopefully!

I'm going to need this thread so much in the coming weeks to rant haha.

True :yep:

Get to KCL, you :unimpressed: At least visit :awesome: 'Cause I can't take over the world all by myself :colonhash:

:ahee: I'll need this thread when I get my results :tongue: Either to cry or to jump around in :biggrin:
Reply 855
Original post by aeterno
True :yep:

Get to KCL, you :unimpressed: At least visit :awesome: 'Cause I can't take over the world all by myself :colonhash:

:ahee: I'll need this thread when I get my results :tongue: Either to cry or to jump around in :biggrin:

I missed the deposit deadline for KCL, so there's no chance. Really starting to feel the Cambridge pressure now..:frown:

I'm sure you'll be jumping for joy :yep:
How long do you get to write your dissertation? Do you recommend that I start my dissertation in the summer holiday of first year? (I require a first)

Is it better to take exam based or coursework based modules in the 3rd year?

I'm currently thinking about taking all coursework based modules, however I'm not sure if it will be a wise decision.
Reply 857
Anyone know of a good Harvard referencing guide?

Basically, I reference someone's article at the start of a paragraph, in the normal way of Name (Year). But then a sentence or two later I refer back to that article, without having referenced anyone else or talked about anything else in between. Must I put the year again, or is saying something along the lines of: Additionally, Name asserts this and blah blah, which is blah. That said, his claim is somewhat valid given the general assumption of blah.

Is something like that alright?

Original post by .ACS.
Anyone know of a good Harvard referencing guide?

Basically, I reference someone's article at the start of a paragraph, in the normal way of Name (Year). But then a sentence or two later I refer back to that article, without having referenced anyone else or talked about anything else in between. Must I put the year again, or is saying something along the lines of: Additionally, Name asserts this and blah blah, which is blah. That said, his claim is somewhat valid given the general assumption of blah.

Is something like that alright?

I'd say that was fine. I would only reference it again if I'd referenced something inbetween or if it wasn't immediately obvious that you're still referring to the same article.
Reply 859
Original post by Akkuz
I missed the deposit deadline for KCL, so there's no chance. Really starting to feel the Cambridge pressure now..:frown:

I'm sure you'll be jumping for joy :yep:

Ohh :sad: Then visit :unimpressed: Cambridge take their time :colonhash:

Let's hope so! :awesome: ...if you suddenly don't hear from me it's probably because I'm living under my bed to cope with the results :tongue: Whichever way it goes :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending