Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    :awesome: :ashamed:

That would be so cool :moon:
    Was lacking major dissertation motivation today..until Cambridge gave me my offer. Time to do some serious work! :rolleyes:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Was lacking major dissertation motivation today..until Cambridge gave me my offer. Time to do some serious work! :rolleyes:
    :woo: Official congrats!

Get on with it! :fuhrer: Or I'll nuke you
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :woo: Official congrats!

Get on with it! :fuhrer: Or I'll nuke you
    Thanks!

Right away! :sad: Gotta read over 10,000 words of dissertation and make sure it sounds logical..yikes!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Thanks!

Right away! :sad: Gotta read over 10,000 words of dissertation and make sure it sounds logical..yikes!
    :zomg: Good luck with that! It's a freaking pain Eating chocolate while reading seems to speed up the process...:cookie:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :zomg: Good luck with that! It's a freaking pain Eating chocolate while reading seems to speed up the process...:cookie:
    Thanks Ya know when you write your dissertation and then tweak your aims/objectives/scope to fit in with it..yeah that's what I just did Cheeky :shh:

Fatty! :yum: But indeed, it does seem to speed up studying!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Thanks Ya know when you write your dissertation and then tweak your aims/objectives/scope to fit in with it..yeah that's what I just did Cheeky :shh:

Fatty! :yum: But indeed, it does seem to speed up studying!
    :rofl: Doesn't everyone do that? :ninja: Just don't tell anyone you did it. They'll never know :iiam:

That's just how I roll Literally, soon enough :sad:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Doesn't everyone do that? :ninja: Just don't tell anyone you did it. They'll never know :iiam:

That's just how I roll Literally, soon enough :sad:
    Haha, probably! I think teachers know that everybody does that; she's the one who suggested I change it! :rofl:

Hate reading those parts of my dissertation that I clearly wrote at like 1am in the morning and make little or no sense :facepalm:

Roll, roll, roll your boat gently down the Thames..and blow up UCL! :rofl2:
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate my dissertation already and I've only been working on it a month or so :sad:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm trying to listen to my dissertation which is written on Word 2007. I manage to get Microsoft narrator to speak the tool bar words etc but cannot get her to speak what is inside my word document. Does anyone know how to do this?!

Thanks in advance!!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Haha, probably! I think teachers know that everybody does that; she's the one who suggested I change it! :rofl:

Hate reading those parts of my dissertation that I clearly wrote at like 1am in the morning and make little or no sense :facepalm:

Roll, roll, roll your boat gently down the Thames..and blow up UCL! :rofl2:
    Haha that wouldn't surprise me It's all one big conspiracy :ninja:

I know the feeling :sigh: And at the time, you think 'This is a work of pure genius!' and then your supervisor says 'WTF are you on about here!?' ...oh :sad:

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    I hate my dissertation already and I've only been working on it a month or so :sad:
    By around 8,000 I was feeling physically sick just looking at it, hah. Learn to embrace it and love it! :hugs:

I know the feeling :sigh: And at the time, you think 'This is a work of pure genius!' and then your supervisor says 'WTF are you on about here!?' ...oh :sad:

haha, I know that feeling so so well....can relate! Although at the end of the day you have to do whatever your supervisor wants because they mark it. I don't agree with one or two of the changes my supervisor suggested but I'm going to include them anyway.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    By around 8,000 I was feeling physically sick just looking at it, hah. Learn to embrace it and love it! :hugs:
    Shouldn't be here really because mines not due until summer next year - But the topic is so dry and not what I wanted to do at all No words written yet, just doing background research which I don't understand at all... Have to have a 2600 word proposal handed in in two weeks time and I don't even have a hypothesis yet!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    haha, I know that feeling so so well....can relate! Although at the end of the day you have to do whatever your supervisor wants because they mark it. I don't agree with one or two of the changes my supervisor suggested but I'm going to include them anyway.
    Yeah I had a mini argument with my supervisor about one of the changes. He said 'Actually X came up with that, not Y' and I said 'But it's not incorrect to attribute it to Y, especially given the context - in fact it's more appropriate to mention Y here because of what I've mentioned earlier. Just because X mentioned it first, it didn't mean it was a widely held belief until Y.' 'No, it's more correct to attribute it to X.' 'How? That wouldn't make any sense. I could still mention X in brackets if you really want but it seems pointless to replace Y with X.' 'No, change Y to X.' 'Ok, only if you change your research to show that actually Z came up with the theory way before X was even born ' 'No, that would be incorrect as there is no conclusive proof for that.' 'There is, it's just in a different language. Translations are available for it.' 'No.' 'Fine, I'll change the bloody thing. ' 'Thank you.'

:sigh:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I had a mini argument with my supervisor about one of the changes. He said 'Actually X came up with that, not Y' and I said 'But it's not incorrect to attribute it to Y, especially given the context - in fact it's more appropriate to mention Y here because of what I've mentioned earlier. Just because X mentioned it first, it didn't mean it was a widely held belief until Y.' 'No, it's more correct to attribute it to X.' 'How? That wouldn't make any sense. I could still mention X in brackets if you really want but it seems pointless to replace Y with X.' 'No, change Y to X.' 'Ok, only if you change your research to show that actually Z came up with the theory way before X was even born ' 'No, that would be incorrect as there is no conclusive proof for that.' 'There is, it's just in a different language. Translations are available for it.' 'No.' 'Fine, I'll change the bloody thing. ' 'Thank you.'

:sigh:
    :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show

:ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    :rofl:

Spoiler:
    Show

:ahee:
    so wanted to rep but couldn't...

and dissertation wise, I will print it on sunday for handing in on monday. too bad my tutor never got back with feedback.

also too bad, apparently the dissertation module doesn't have unit evaluations so i can't complain about my tutor or the disorganisation
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellejaytee)
    so wanted to rep but couldn't...

and dissertation wise, I will print it on sunday for handing in on monday. too bad my tutor never got back with feedback.

also too bad, apparently the dissertation module doesn't have unit evaluations so i can't complain about my tutor or the disorganisation
    Ahh! Well at least your at the printing stage nearly. It's all over soon

Proof-reading and editing is seriously depressive 28/48 done..:sad:
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just went over the 9k mark :awesome: The aim now is to hit 12k by Sunday night, so I can leave my diss at home to go on holiday on Monday. If that isn't motivation, I don't know what is.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've hit the 10k mark. I'm about a couple of hundred words away from 11k and I still haven't done my introduction and conclusion. I think I might have a little trouble staying within the word count but I need to finish it by tomorrow so I can focus on revision.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Today is the last so im up ready after completing another module at 5am this morning and as its the last day its going to be finished christ how the last 3 weeks have flown.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hang in there people

I know after a while it gets horrible just looking at it, but if you can overcome the frustration and take some extra time proof-reading and improving things it'll be a big difference!

At the moment I'm making a small summary table at the end of my literature review, summarising: Key Findings, Supporting Authors, Working Propositions.

It's a little thing I picked up from one of my professors. It makes your work more academic and ultimately makes it easier for the reader to understand your lit. review in one table.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 17, 2013
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.