The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

How have I missed this thread before now?

Half a discussion to be written and some editing left, two weeks to do it in, all other essays finished ... so why am I waking up ridiculously early with it immediately on my mind? :angry:
Reply 981
Gotta spend all of tomorrow on it grr! Have to do an executive summary, contents page, sort out the page numbers because they messed up and then proof-read some more.

Going to need a lot of motivation and coffee tomorrow..
Reply 982
Morning folks. :hi:

Have a good day of dissertating!
Reply 983
What's the shortest amount of time someone has written their disso in :ninja: are there many who do it a few nights before?
Reply 984
Original post by mel0n
What's the shortest amount of time someone has written their disso in :ninja: are there many who do it a few nights before?

It's doable in a few days if you spend all of your time writing it and you've done all your research already/have a structure. But certainly not recommended! :tongue: When's your deadline?
Original post by mel0n

You get the odd keen bean who'll finish ridiculously in advance (:colonhash:) but generally a week before the final deadline's a good time to make it in. Personally I was massively lazy and was all done (binding, references and checking) a few days before deadline.

The scariest part is how much it's worth rather than the actual difficulty or the deadline :tongue: But that's what your supervisor's there for. Doing a couple of hours every day you'll be surprised how quickly it builds up.
Original post by mel0n

I don't remember writing my undergrad dissertation but believe it was written within a 10-14 day period, not working every day :yes:

I'd already done all the reading and research though :smile:
Reply 987
*subscribes*
Original post by Akkuz
Hang in there people :smile:

I know after a while it gets horrible just looking at it, but if you can overcome the frustration and take some extra time proof-reading and improving things it'll be a big difference!

At the moment I'm making a small summary table at the end of my literature review, summarising: Key Findings, Supporting Authors, Working Propositions.

It's a little thing I picked up from one of my professors. It makes your work more academic and ultimately makes it easier for the reader to understand your lit. review in one table.

My supervisor told me to do that too. Am I right in assuming that you don't put all your references in that table, but just a few from each sort of side?
Reply 989
Original post by Medicine Man
My supervisor told me to do that too. Am I right in assuming that you don't put all your references in that table, but just a few from each sort of side?

Only the ones which support that particular key finding.

I.e. in your lit you may have said X said this, Y said this etc. If your key finding is supported by what X said, then you'd put X in the table but not Y. If that makes sense :s-smilie: Only the authors which are relevant.
I have no idea how to possibly begin concluding a 12,000 word paper :| None whatsoever...so overwhelmed by the amount of words I'm looking at :|
Reply 991
Original post by angel_night
I have no idea how to possibly begin concluding a 12,000 word paper :| None whatsoever...so overwhelmed by the amount of words I'm looking at :|

Best thing to do is:

- Go through your findings & analysis and highlight key points
- Write these key points in another document or jot them down on paper
- Re-write these key points in your conclusion (do not introduce any new material in your conclusion)

Oh and end with a quirky final sentence :wink:
Original post by Akkuz
Best thing to do is:

- Go through your findings & analysis and highlight key points
- Write these key points in another document or jot them down on paper
- Re-write these key points in your conclusion (do not introduce any new material in your conclusion)

Oh and end with a quirky final sentence :wink:

yeah thats what I've been thinking of doing. I have just printed off all my seperate chapter conclusions and all the points my introduction has highlighted as the purpose of the paper, so hopefully I shall pull something together!

You know what I don't get!? I have always followed the last point about not introducing new material in the conclusion...My supervisor has said to add something new to the conclusion, but don't really discuss it and leave the reader on a cliff hanger a bit with it. Confused.com...
Reply 993
You know what I don't get!? I have always followed the last point about not introducing new material in the conclusion...My supervisor has said to add something new to the conclusion, but don't really discuss it and leave the reader on a cliff hanger a bit with it. Confused.com...

Do what your supervisor says. They mark it after all :tongue:
Original post by Akkuz

Problem is, I have nothing new to say lol...fail haha.
Reply 995
Problem is, I have nothing new to say lol...fail haha.

Make up a wacky theory. That's what I usually do. Your supervisor will love it :colone:
Reply 996
Proof-reading makes me sleepy :huff:

:coffee:
Hungover dissertationing is neither fun or productive :sigh: It's going to be a very long night...
Reply 998
Struggling to stay awake..coffee o'clock, ugh.
Original post by Akkuz

Is that the case at all unis? I thought work was supposed to be marked anonymously? :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending