The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Is that the case at all unis? I thought work was supposed to be marked anonymously? :eek:

I think your likely to find that at most universities your supervisor marks it first. Then a second person anonymously marks it.
Original post by Akkuz
I think your likely to find that at most universities your supervisor marks it first. Then a second person anonymously marks it.

Oh dear. Didn't realise this :frown:.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Is that the case at all unis? I thought work was supposed to be marked anonymously? :eek:

For my intercalated BSc (it is related to medicine and there are only 12 of us on the course, so thats why it might be a little different), our course organizers, who don't usually supervise projects, mark them. It is double marked by individuals in this team of 4 (and I'm assuming its random allocation as to who you get marking yours both times).

I much prefer a supervisor marking it - mine is pretty nice and easy to talk to. We have chats about unrelated issues in her office all the time! Haha.
Original post by Medicine Man
For my intercalated BSc (it is related to medicine and there are only 12 of us on the course, so thats why it might be a little different), our course organizers, who don't usually supervise projects, mark them. It is double marked by individuals in this team of 4 (and I'm assuming its random allocation as to who you get marking yours both times).

I much prefer a supervisor marking it - mine is pretty nice and easy to talk to. We have chats about unrelated issues in her office all the time! Haha.

Seems it isn't the same across all intercalated degrees then - ours is marked by our supervisor and a second person in the department. Viva is done by the two of them and a third independent person who moderates all the vivas.
Reply 1004
Even if I had an infinite amount of time I still wouldn't be able to perfect this dissertation. I keep reading it and changing words here n there, but in the greater scheme of things it'll probably make little or no difference :dong:

Can't wait to hand it in next week :colonhash:
Reply 1005
Original post by Akkuz

At Oxford your supervisor is specifically not allowed to mark it. Which is a bit silly, 'cos they're chosen because they are supposed to be the 'expert' on what you're doing, and they aren't likely to find anyone more expert to mark it!
Reply 1006
Original post by HoVis
At Oxford your supervisor is specifically not allowed to mark it. Which is a bit silly, 'cos they're chosen because they are supposed to be the 'expert' on what you're doing, and they aren't likely to find anyone more expert to mark it!

Really? That's quite baffling! On my course, were assigned a tutor in the first year who remains out tutor throughout the three years and also supervises us throughout the dissertation, so they know our interests, strengths/weaknesses etc. However a 2nd tutor within the department has to second mark it as well to make it fairer. Nobody in my dept. is an expert on my topic :ahee:

Evidently, protocols vary across universities/departments.
Original post by HoVis

In Music they changed it, so now the supervisor is the first marker. They changed it the year I submitted my dissertation. My supervisor lied to me twice, claiming he had nothing to do with the marking or the low mark I received :nopity:

:grouphugs: to all of you writing your dissertations at the moment. Mine is on hold (being a Masters student and having til the end of August) until I hand in this term's coursework on 1st May. Then bring it on! I really feel for you guys though :grouphugs:

Edit: HoVis, you changed your sig! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 1008
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:grouphugs: to all of you writing your dissertations at the moment. Mine is on hold (being a Masters student and having til the end of August) until I hand in this term's coursework on 1st May. Then bring it on! I really feel for you guys though :grouphugs:

We'll be here to motivate you through your dissertation struggles in the summer! :h:

I'll be going through that pain next summer (hopefully..:u:) :tongue:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Seems it isn't the same across all intercalated degrees then - ours is marked by our supervisor and a second person in the department. Viva is done by the two of them and a third independent person who moderates all the vivas.

My supervisor doesn't mark mine at all though. She has nothing to do with the marking. She just supervises (quite well I should add). Shame she's not involved with the marking. The team who mark our projects don't supervise any projects either (or at least they aren't this year).
Reply 1010
Most people seem to be in the last few stages of writing now so good luck everyone! :biggrin:

You can do it! :woo: :awesome:

Cookies* for the first one who finishes :colone:

*not real cookies :cookie:
Reply 1011
Original post by Akkuz
Really? That's quite baffling! On my course, were assigned a tutor in the first year who remains out tutor throughout the three years and also supervises us throughout the dissertation, so they know our interests, strengths/weaknesses etc. However a 2nd tutor within the department has to second mark it as well to make it fairer. Nobody in my dept. is an expert on my topic :ahee:

Evidently, protocols vary across universities/departments.

Apart from you. :colone:

TLG, yes! I did! Took me long enough. :tongue:
Original post by aeterno
Most people seem to be in the last few stages of writing now so good luck everyone! :biggrin:
:

Bar me. 27 more days to go. :sigh:
Original post by aeterno

You can do it! :woo: :awesome:

Cookies* for the first one who finishes :colone:

*not real cookies :cookie:

I wish. 16 days to go, 6000 words. Looks like I shall be writing my discussion in Florence.
Reply 1014
Original post by HoVis
Apart from you. :colone:

That's the beauty of it. Whatever I say is right :bigsmile:
printed!

although that was most definitely a nightmare I do not want to relive. bit disappointed that it doesn't look pretty now :frown:
Reply 1016
Original post by Medicine Man
Bar me. 27 more days to go. :sigh:

Original post by Becca-Sarah
I wish. 16 days to go, 6000 words. Looks like I shall be writing my discussion in Florence.

:sad:

But you guys are still so close! :awesome:

(Plus I have a distorted view of 'last stages' so :ninja:)
Just wrote my conclusion! Main chapters are pretty much edited through, but I still need to cut 662 words ¬_¬ Apart from that, just need to get the bibliography into the correct format, sort a contents page out, tidy up the appendix and make a cover page XD
:woo: Just broke the 10k word barrier :biggrin: Somehow my results section has ballooned to nearly 4000 words, and still isn't bloody finished.
I'm trying to write the introduction and conclusion but I'm kind of struggling with it. I've always hated doing these.

Quick Reply

Latest