The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

I need to get just under 3k done today - including a conclusion of some sort. Once that's done, I'll have a full dissertation but I know it won't be finished. I'll have to edit it like hell once my supervisor has gone through it. I'd better get on with it and stop pissing about on here.
Hi guys,

I am doing a uni project for my disso and I need help with some research.

Could you pleaaaaase post on here which uni you are from and the 3 most popular societies/clubs at you uni.

I know its a bit random but it will help me out massively, especially since I lost some of my research before and I have a deadline coming up.:confused::colondollar:

Cheers guys.
11,700 words.

I'm so fed up of this. I only have the conclusion and abstract left. :sad:

Has everyone else taken the day off? It's quite in here.
Original post by sleekchic
11,700 words.

I'm so fed up of this. I only have the conclusion and abstract left. :sad:

Has everyone else taken the day off? It's quite in here.

You can do it!!

I haven't done an awful lot today. I have just gone through and sorted out the bibiliography so all the references are correct and sorted through the appendix. I'm having a go at cutting out words now from the main body of the dissertation...so fed up of cutting words :frown:
Original post by angel_night
You can do it!!

I haven't done an awful lot today. I have just gone through and sorted out the bibiliography so all the references are correct and sorted through the appendix. I'm having a go at cutting out words now from the main body of the dissertation...so fed up of cutting words :frown:

Done 12,020 words.

I still need to do the abstract but that shouldn't take too long. Although I don't actually know what should be in the abstract.

I don't know if I should try cutting it down before sending it off to my supervisor. But anyway I'm done.
Still have 2k to do. Beleive it or not it has taken me all day to write 1k. Better get my skates on. I think I'm going to stop worrying about typing things perfectly and just write what is in my head, then edit it later.

Right, target: 1k by 8pm, this will be a laugh.
Reply 1026
Original post by aeterno
Most people seem to be in the last few stages of writing now so good luck everyone! :biggrin:

You can do it! :woo: :awesome:

Cookies* for the first one who finishes :colone:

*not real cookies :cookie:

Hey I finished my disso and when I showed to my supervisor, the only things she said were that it was well researched and written, and reflected well on the issues at stakes.
Somehow, I am not overtly happy: I worked so hard on laying out my argument, but I got a comment on the fact that I read a lot, not on whether or not I was convincing! :frown:
Reply 1027
Original post by somethingbeautiful
Still have 2k to do. Beleive it or not it has taken me all day to write 1k. Better get my skates on. I think I'm going to stop worrying about typing things perfectly and just write what is in my head, then edit it later.

wow, 1000 words in a day! I write much less than this in a day! Well done.
Finished.

Well I'm sure my supervisor will probably have many comments but for now I'm done.
Reply 1029
Original post by itzme
Hey I finished my disso and when I showed to my supervisor, the only things she said were that it was well researched and written, and reflected well on the issues at stakes.
Somehow, I am not overtly happy: I worked so hard on laying out my argument, but I got a comment on the fact that I read a lot, not on whether or not I was convincing! :frown:

Did she say anything negative about the argument though? If not, don't worry too much about it :smile: Plus, it's definitely a good sign that she says it's well researched and well written - that counts for a lot!

Success? :awesome:
Original post by Akkuz
Even if I had an infinite amount of time I still wouldn't be able to perfect this dissertation. I keep reading it and changing words here n there, but in the greater scheme of things it'll probably make little or no difference :dong:

Can't wait to hand it in next week :colonhash:

That's the point at which I generally stop editing essays and just hand them in. :wink:

Original post by itzme

I genuinely thought that said 'reflected well on the issue of skates'. Just in the middle of wondering how you brought skating up in your dissertation when I re-read... :rofl:

Feeling very pleased with myself now - the entire first draft is down! :woo: Proper referencing (you mean we have to reference properly rather than just have URLs littering our dissertation? :sad:), some streamlining to parts of it and tweaking the order still needs to be done, but if some horrible disaster were to arise and I needed to hand it in tomorrow, I have a complete dissertation.
Original post by aeterno
Did she say anything negative about the argument though? If not, don't worry too much about it :smile: Plus, it's definitely a good sign that she says it's well researched and well written - that counts for a lot!

Success? :awesome:

Nah. Complete and utter fail of the highest order.

I think I'm just going to have to write *******s and deal with the fallout lol.
Reply 1032
Nah. Complete and utter fail of the highest order.

I think I'm just going to have to write *******s and deal with the fallout lol.

Hm, do you reckon you'll at least get it all done before deadline? Or have you got an early draft deadline or something as well?
I took the day off today and just chilled at my cousin's. 'twas bliss. Best decision ever as this disso was just stressing me out - I was literally waking up every morning for the lat 2/3 days with a really bad headache - but now I feel a lot calmer as it just wasn't on my mind today! Just got home, heading into bed and and calling it a night - back to the slog house tomorrow morning though.
Reply 1034
Original post by TheSownRose
That's the point at which I generally stop editing essays and just hand them in. :wink:

I genuinely thought that said 'reflected well on the issue of skates'. Just in the middle of wondering how you brought skating up in your dissertation when I re-read... :rofl:

Feeling very pleased with myself now - the entire first draft is down! :woo: Proper referencing (you mean we have to reference properly rather than just have URLs littering our dissertation? :sad:), some streamlining to parts of it and tweaking the order still needs to be done, but if some horrible disaster were to arise and I needed to hand it in tomorrow, I have a complete dissertation.

This is where I am with my course essay - i've written all i want to write, I just want to tweak the introduction and make sure it reads well. :smile:
Just got to 7318 words now, keep thinking im going backwards going to try and finish what I can for the critical issues of ecology work and finish the reminder which is the results section tonight.

Done everything else which is possible, got to get it finished tonight. I love my work its just killing me :frown: and had a bad holiday with it.

Anyone offer me any words of encouragement before I break down in tears?
Reply 1036
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Just got to 7318 words now, keep thinking im going backwards going to try and finish what I can for the critical issues of ecology work and finish the reminder which is the results section tonight.

Done everything else which is possible, got to get it finished tonight. I love my work its just killing me :frown: and had a bad holiday with it.

Anyone offer me any words of encouragement before I break down in tears?

Don't cry :hugs:

You're so close to the end now and I'm sure you can get it done! :h:

All the effort you put into it will be worth it in the end! And hopefully you'll have an awesome summer to look forward to to make up for the bad Easter :smile:
I have 10,137 words in my dissertation :colondollar:. I haven't started my conclusion yet and my discussion chapter needs a lot more analysis. I have to submit on 9th May.. and still have to conduct more interviews :colone:
Original post by aeterno
Don't cry :hugs:

You're so close to the end now and I'm sure you can get it done! :h:

All the effort you put into it will be worth it in the end! And hopefully you'll have an awesome summer to look forward to to make up for the bad Easter :smile:

Thanks :smile: :hugs: I saw my supervisor today think he realised I was really worried and he sorted it out and stopped a mini breakdown.

Luckily I havent got much else (coursework for other modules just 1 to do) and revision which is starting to worry me now I got 2 but one is seen and I havent started any work for that. I got some work experience with my supervisor sorted which I'm very happy about which I'm looking forward to as it'll be fun
Reply 1039
So close to finishing..so close...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending