The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akkuz
So close to finishing..so close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg5KjnAhuU

:dance:
Reply 1041

Brilliant rendition! I swear this guy was on Britain's Got Talent!? I kinda like it ya know..:hubba:
Original post by Akkuz
Brilliant rendition! I swear this guy was on Britain's Got Talent!? I kinda like it ya know..:hubba:

Tiz brilliant, isn't it? Not sure about BGT, since I don't watch it :nah:

I like to bring it out around this time each year to motivate people :pierre:
Reply 1043
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Tiz brilliant, isn't it? Not sure about BGT, since I don't watch it :nah:

I like to bring it out around this time each year to motivate people :pierre:

Definitely motivated me :tongue: :adore:
Managed to get a big chuck of my dissertation done today - emailed it to my supervisor for feedback. Woop! That said, tThis elated feeling for blocking out a big chuck of it will soon turn to sorrow when she replies with feedback. Almost certain of that.
7568 words just the results section and the critical results section to go then its finished roll on 5am when it'll be finished :biggrin:
7689 at 1.20am
7933 at 2.23am

already at the 3k levels in discussion still got codons and transitions/transversions to go then finished discussion :smile: graphs and results to be finished at uni.
(edited 12 years ago)
I cannot wait until this dissertation is complete. My supervisor is a complete A-hole! I had planned on starting it in Jan but 3 close relatives passed away within 2 weeks and i was already stresses revising for the Jan exams/assignments so i put it off for a few weeks. It's now April and i only have 2 chapters complete, which my supervisor is refusing to look over and provide feedback because there’s only 2 weeks left till it's due and the whole supervisor contact period is over :bawling: I wouldn't be so annoyed, but during my last meeting (a week ago) he said i could email him my work and he'll provide feedback and told me to take my time.

:banghead: FML! I seriously don't know what to do right now. This morning i was optimistic, but now i just want to give up and go cry in the corner like a little bitch.
/Rant
Original post by tsrstar
I cannot wait until this dissertation is complete. My supervisor is a complete A-hole! I had planned on starting it in Jan but 3 close relatives passed away within 2 weeks and i was already stresses revising for the Jan exams/assignments so i put it off for a few weeks. It's now April and i only have 2 chapters complete, which my supervisor is refusing to look over and provide feedback because there’s only 2 weeks left till it's due and the whole supervisor contact period is over :bawling: I wouldn't be so annoyed, but during my last meeting (a week ago) he said i could email him my work and he'll provide feedback and told me to take my time.

:banghead: FML! I seriously don't know what to do right now. This morning i was optimistic, but now i just want to give up and go cry in the corner like a little bitch.
/Rant

I'm sorry you got an Ahole for a supervisor and to hear about your relatives passing can you not see anyone else like module leader? If not can a couple of mates go over pointers for you? Dont give up hope

Just put your all into the IS.

Spoiler

Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
I'm sorry you got an Ahole for a supervisor and to hear about your relatives passing can you not see anyone else like module leader? If not can a couple of mates go over pointers for you? Dont give up hope

Just put your all into the IS.

Spoiler

I don't think seeking out another supervisor would be helpful right now, it'll only add to my stress and ill be told the same 'I'm sorry it's past the supervision deadline, i won't be able to help you'. I'll hopefully see my supervisor around uuni today, so ill have a word with him, but if he still refuses to help, i'm not sure what i'll do. Feeling so overwhelmed and hopeless right now.

All i want is to be told whether i'm on the right track or completely off mark. :frown:

It's frustrating because everyone else has lovely supervisors who provide feedback and guidance, and im stuck with this a-hole who recomended a book when i asked for help with the structure and told me he'd look over my work and to take my time less than a week ago, only to now tell me he can't help.

Phew! Now that i've had my little rant, i'll probally stop snapping at everyone.
Time to stop feeling sorry for myself.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I'll get it done! .... Hopefully.
Reply 1049
Just need to proof-read and then print my 1st dissertation.

I've also finished 70% of my 2nd dissertation. It's going well at the moment:smile:
Finally got the majority of the discussion finished with my tutor just the results section which is my own bit and to sort out results then its finished :smile: Going to get the appendix sorted and rest done. I'll be emailing my supervisor for a meeting tomorrow afternoon. Ooo so scary now :frown: Must get my mum her birthday pressie and card as well for tomorrow
Reply 1051
I really want to change my dissertation, but after submitting my draft, I asked my supervisor if I could stop changing my dissertation and just make stylistic amendments. She said 'yes, it is fine.

But, whenever I look at it and read other sources on my topic, I feel like I need to add much more!
Reply 1052
I have the nicest supervisor ever. She read through the whole thing and highlighted every spelling/grammar mistake and all parts that need editing :teeth:
Original post by Akkuz
I have the nicest supervisor ever. She read through the whole thing and highlighted every spelling/grammar mistake and all parts that need editing :teeth:

Mine does that too, kinda. She really is so awesome! She gives comments like - "awkward sentence", "cull this", "rephrase to: [offers a much better worded sentence]" etc. and she replies on the same day I send her a draft. I think I need to get her something for all her time and effort. At first I used to complain as she used to set me crazy deadlines (which no one else got), but its all paying off now because I have 3 and a bit weeks to go till its due and only have half my discussion to do. I actually love my supervisor now. Haha.
Reply 1054
Original post by Medicine Man
Mine does that too, kinda. She really is so awesome! She gives comments like - "awkward sentence", "cull this", "rephrase to: [offers a much better worded sentence]" etc. and she replies on the same day I send her a draft. I think I need to get her something for all her time and effort. At first I used to complain as she used to set me crazy deadlines (which no one else got), but its all paying off now because I have 3 and a bit weeks to go till its due and only have half my discussion to do. I actually love my supervisor now. Haha.

That's awesome :biggrin: Sounds like were lucky to have had good supervisors. Mine kinda hinted today, that my dissertation would get a first :rolleyes:
Got appointment tomorrow at 2pm for the IS so very happy. Just struggling on this last push.

Working til 5.30 in the morning to get it finished.
I HATE MY DISSERTATION.

That is all.
Another 1153 words then I hit the min word 10,000 words :smile:

Finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel

Original post by meow444
I HATE MY DISSERTATION.

That is all.

:hugs:

It'll get there honsently :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Another 1153 words then I hit the min word 10,000 words :smile:

Finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel

:hugs:

It'll get there honsently :smile:

Aw thanks. Well done for nearly being finished. I'm not even half way through and it's due on the 30th :frown:

What's yours on?
Original post by meow444
Aw thanks. Well done for nearly being finished. I'm not even half way through and it's due on the 30th :frown:

What's yours on?

Its a meta analysis on squirrel species

Whats yours on?
What course you do at uni? BSc in Biology for me :smile:

Just keep at it, I had a breakdown at easter over this, so been up til early hours finishing it :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest