Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Announcements Posted on
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amizzle91)
    The more and more I edit this dissertation, the less and less confident about it I become Is that a sign to leave it the hell alone for while? :p:
    :yep:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsrstar)
    I've handed it in now. It was far too late to do anything about the turnitin report.

I was expecting more... For some strange reason i pictured myself strutting into uni with my dissertation and receiving a round of applause Instead, i found myself running to uni in the rain while using my dissertation as an umbrella and handing it over to an old man with a clipboard.

Having handed it in, i feel a little lost now. I think I’ve enjoyed the stress and sleepless nights, it made me feel productive

Good luck everyone!
    My friends and I were discussing the anticlimactic handing in and how the lady was just like put it in the box whilst how we feel we deserve a fanfare. At least some else agrees.
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I handed my undergrad one in, the woman said "you look relieved!" That's coz I was, given that I'd failed to start, let alone hand in, the other coursework assignment that had been due in the previous week
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had a lovely chat with Jill, the department's administrator, when I handed mine in, asking how things have been and if I've kept up with things alright. I suppose I'm one of the minority of students who she knows by name, and quite well, having been a trouble maker for the last eight years :p:

Which reminds me, I need to send both her and an academic an email...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Is it not because of your reference list/bibliography (the sources in the reference list also appearing in works by others?)

I wouldn't worry too much.
    I included the reference list in the dissertation when i uploaded it, i've just gone through it now and all the references in the list are highlighted. Most of the highlighted parts in the main section have a reference next to them, but i've noticed approx 2-3 don't :/ Not only that, but they were direct quotes from the literature which must have slipped through. 27% similarity does seem quite steep, i've never gone over 10%.

(Original post by tradingmyheartforyours)
    My friends and I were discussing the anticlimactic handing in and how the lady was just like put it in the box whilst how we feel we deserve a fanfare. At least some else agrees.
    I don't know why i'm dissapointed after handing it in, it's not like i was expecting fireworks or a parade, at the very least a 'well done/congratulations' or a hi-five would have put a smile on my face.

Anyone here get their work printed out and bound by staples... :eek: <-- The look on my face when the little old lady told me how much it would cost.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    totally depends on your uni. At my uni, if you hand in late, it's capped at 40%, but that goes down with each day you leave it.

Other universities will give you 0 for a late submission.

I'd say just finish it as best you can and hand it in...
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I would say stop asking what will happen if you don't finish it on time and go and try to finish it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I handed mine in a little early last year - although a lot later than my closet uni friend [she submitted hers before Christmas - the deadline was just before Easter!]. Most of my friends were still working on theirs, so I couldn't really drag them out to celebrate. Instead, I got a Diggles milkshake and went on the swings in the playground with my friend [the one mentioned just then]. So rock and roll lol.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I included the reference list in the dissertation when i uploaded it, i've just gone through it now and all the references in the list are highlighted. Most of the highlighted parts in the main section have a reference next to them, but i've noticed approx 2-3 don't :/ Not only that, but they were direct quotes from the literature which must have slipped through. 27% similarity does seem quite steep, i've never gone over 10%.

I don't know why i'm dissapointed after handing it in, it's not like i was expecting fireworks or a parade, at the very least a 'well done/congratulations' or a hi-five would have put a smile on my face.

Anyone here get their work printed out and bound by staples... :eek: <-- The look on my face when the little old lady told me how much it would cost.
    How much does binding cost in staples?

I have only one more academic task to do before summer
    • 88 followers

ReputationRep:

I remember paying something like £12 for binding and printing. Or was it £17? Can't quite remember. In my case though it was totally worth it, coz my coloured photographs came out amazing :pierre:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to chug a load of coffee and write 3,000 words, create new chapters, edit my older ones, check my bibliography and create some form of coherent thread throughout the whole thing. This is going to be so much fun.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dissertations due in 10 days, neither anywhere near completion. Oh jesus.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Viva is now Tuesday afternoon cause second marker now has to go to a meeting which someone else arranged after it was arranged -_- 3.30 Tuesday so not to bad but still
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:

Depends on the type of binding, but for wire/sprial it's probably £3 or £4.

I went for the mid-market binding and got three copies done for £12. I did my printing at home.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Depends on the type of binding, but for wire/sprial it's probably £3 or £4.

I went for the mid-market binding and got three copies done for £12. I did my printing at home.
    My uni has it sorted for profit. Our dissertation has to be bound at uni because it has a hardback cover with the uni crest. It costs £10 per copy, we needed to hand in two so basically the price of printing dissertation x 2 = £10 (ten pages were colour). So all in all the dissertation handing in cost me £30!!!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:

I think staples charge around £4 for thermal binding. I was just shocked it cost me approx £30 to print Should have just had it done at uni it would have only cost me £10 :/
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesop)
    Dissertations due in 10 days, neither anywhere near completion. Oh jesus.
    I wrote my whole dissertation start to finish with priamry research in 10 days... pretty impressed with it aswell haha.

out binding is £20 for hardback with cover and we need to hand in 2 or we have soft binding, but for presentation purposes i did it hard bound! Printing i did at home
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ffs! Turn it in has given me a 27% similarity match

That's not good! everything on the match overview (left hand site) is 1% or less..

How screwed am i?

how do u find out the similarity report on turnitin? I think mine will be well above 27%:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm SO CLOSE to finishing now.
    Just have to get my conclusion and critical review checked and I can print and bind. It's going to be weird handing it in though. I feel like I want to keep editing it but I'm going to have to stop some time.

I'm so very glad it's over, I've worked really hard on this. Just got to hope I get a good grade for it!

Well done to everyone else who has finished! We made it!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am currently planning my dissertation for next year and need to hand in a proposal this week and I'm struggling to come up with a clever title.

I'm looking at the usefulness of pre-visualisation to students and the no-budget filmmaker. This includes storyboards, photographs, etc. However, I am also looking specifically at the accuracy of the animatic pre-vizualisation (3D modelling in 3ds Max specifically). I'm planning to set up a scene in our film set and then recreate it in 3ds Max and compare the results, ensuring that the lights and camera specifically match.

Thanks.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 17, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.