The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tsrstar
I included the reference list in the dissertation when i uploaded it, i've just gone through it now and all the references in the list are highlighted. Most of the highlighted parts in the main section have a reference next to them, but i've noticed approx 2-3 don't :/ Not only that, but they were direct quotes from the literature which must have slipped through. 27% similarity does seem quite steep, i've never gone over 10%.

I don't know why i'm dissapointed after handing it in, it's not like i was expecting fireworks or a parade, at the very least a 'well done/congratulations' or a hi-five would have put a smile on my face.

Anyone here get their work printed out and bound by staples... :eek: <-- The look on my face when the little old lady told me how much it would cost.

How much does binding cost in staples?

I have only one more academic task to do before summer :smile:
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours

I remember paying something like £12 for binding and printing. Or was it £17? Can't quite remember. In my case though it was totally worth it, coz my coloured photographs came out amazing :pierre:
I'm going to chug a load of coffee and write 3,000 words, create new chapters, edit my older ones, check my bibliography and create some form of coherent thread throughout the whole thing. This is going to be so much fun. :colonhash:
Reply 1243
Dissertations due in 10 days, neither anywhere near completion. Oh jesus.
Viva is now Tuesday afternoon cause second marker now has to go to a meeting which someone else arranged after it was arranged -_- 3.30 Tuesday so not to bad but still

Depends on the type of binding, but for wire/sprial it's probably £3 or £4.

I went for the mid-market binding and got three copies done for £12. I did my printing at home.
Original post by River85
Depends on the type of binding, but for wire/sprial it's probably £3 or £4.

I went for the mid-market binding and got three copies done for £12. I did my printing at home.

My uni has it sorted for profit. Our dissertation has to be bound at uni because it has a hardback cover with the uni crest. It costs £10 per copy, we needed to hand in two so basically the price of printing dissertation x 2 = £10 (ten pages were colour). So all in all the dissertation handing in cost me £30!!!

I think staples charge around £4 for thermal binding. I was just shocked it cost me approx £30 to print :frown: Should have just had it done at uni it would have only cost me £10 :/
Original post by Aesop
Dissertations due in 10 days, neither anywhere near completion. Oh jesus.

I wrote my whole dissertation start to finish with priamry research in 10 days... pretty impressed with it aswell haha.

out binding is £20 for hardback with cover and we need to hand in 2 or we have soft binding, but for presentation purposes i did it hard bound! Printing i did at home
Reply 1249
Original post by tsrstar
Ffs! Turn it in has given me a 27% similarity match :frown:

That's not good! everything on the match overview (left hand site) is 1% or less..

How screwed am i?

how do u find out the similarity report on turnitin? I think mine will be well above 27%: :frown:
I'm SO CLOSE to finishing now.
Just have to get my conclusion and critical review checked and I can print and bind. It's going to be weird handing it in though. I feel like I want to keep editing it but I'm going to have to stop some time.

I'm so very glad it's over, I've worked really hard on this. Just got to hope I get a good grade for it!

Well done to everyone else who has finished! We made it! :wink:
I am currently planning my dissertation for next year and need to hand in a proposal this week and I'm struggling to come up with a clever title.

I'm looking at the usefulness of pre-visualisation to students and the no-budget filmmaker. This includes storyboards, photographs, etc. However, I am also looking specifically at the accuracy of the animatic pre-vizualisation (3D modelling in 3ds Max specifically). I'm planning to set up a scene in our film set and then recreate it in 3ds Max and compare the results, ensuring that the lights and camera specifically match.

Thanks.
Got my deadline this coming Friday but applied for an extension last Wednesday. Still heard nothing from them and I'm finding it so difficult to concentrate and get anything done with one eye on this all the time.

Anyone that's applied for a dissertation extension before: how long does it normally take for them to reach a decision?

Anyone know the general success rate of applications? If you read my post a page or so ago I explain my circumstances.
Original post by avéry
I am currently planning my dissertation for next year and need to hand in a proposal this week and I'm struggling to come up with a clever title.

I'm looking at the usefulness of pre-visualisation to students and the no-budget filmmaker. This includes storyboards, photographs, etc. However, I am also looking specifically at the accuracy of the animatic pre-vizualisation (3D modelling in 3ds Max specifically). I'm planning to set up a scene in our film set and then recreate it in 3ds Max and compare the results, ensuring that the lights and camera specifically match.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about your title. Just put down a working title for now. My title changed a few times and I didn't settle on my final title until I was ready to hand it in lol. It is something that will change - they expect that. :smile:
Original post by CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Got my deadline this coming Friday but applied for an extension last Wednesday. Still heard nothing from them and I'm finding it so difficult to concentrate and get anything done with one eye on this all the time.

Anyone that's applied for a dissertation extension before: how long does it normally take for them to reach a decision?

Anyone know the general success rate of applications? If you read my post a page or so ago I explain my circumstances.

I think it probably depends on your department and uni regarding how long they take. Did you talk to somebody at university before you made the application? I went to my DPD recently to get an extension on my diss and she pretty much told me I would get it there and then. My dad died not long ago though, so I guess it's easy for them to decide. I recommend contacting your personal tutor or diss supervisor and talking to them about it.

Edit: I just found your last post. I don't know if you have a personal tutor since you are doing an MA, so I guess the person to talk to would be your supervisor. Isn't it quite normal to have about 3 months to write a dissertation in an MA though? My friend is doing one and that's how long she has. I don't really know anything about it. It sounds really stressful though :frown: you poor thing. Good luck with it. Just try to keep going with the work.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by meow444
I think it probably depends on your department and uni regarding how long they take. Did you talk to somebody at university before you made the application? I went to my DPD recently to get an extension on my diss and she pretty much told me I would get it there and then. My dad died not long ago though, so I guess it's easy for them to decide. I recommend contacting your personal tutor or diss supervisor and talking to them about it.

Edit: I just found your last post. I don't know if you have a personal tutor since you are doing an MA, so I guess the person to talk to would be your supervisor. Isn't it quite normal to have about 3 months to write a dissertation in an MA though? My friend is doing one and that's how long she has. I don't really know anything about it. It sounds really stressful though :frown: you poor thing. Good luck with it. Just try to keep going with the work.

Sorry to hear about your dad.
No, originally you get the whole Academic year, we had dissertation 'workshops' every 2 weeks to check on how we were all getting on. I started mine around Christmas and finished it in September the year after, little good being organised did me anyway!

My supervisor doesn't seem to want to get too involved. He has said though that if I'm not given any more time he will try and intervene. He is fully supportive of my request.

Thanks, as I said before though, I'm really struggling to concentrate on actually getting things done with no goalposts to aim for. I don't know whether to plan for a few more weeks or 4 days with no sleep.
Original post by affinity89
I wouldn't worry about your title. Just put down a working title for now. My title changed a few times and I didn't settle on my final title until I was ready to hand it in lol. It is something that will change - they expect that. :smile:

OK. I'll just put down a working title for now.

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1257
Sent my final draft off to my supervisor today. I hope she doesn't say there is anything hugely wrong with it because, to be honest, I'm sick of it. It's due in a week today but exams start tomorrow and I have another 2500 word essay (on the same text) to write by then as well. Here's to two weeks of NO SLEEP WHATSOEVER...
Test submitted my diss ... 9% matching and those were all quotes from the book I analysed. No idea why they showed up because I referenced them all. Oh well.

I don't feel particularly confident about it but then I never feel confident about my work. I've put my heart and soul into it though, so whatever grade I get, I know it was the best I could do.
Handed in my dissertation proposal today and had my supervisor look over it (this is all for next year, btw).

I rang him to ask him to sign the papers for me and he said he "needed to have a talk with [me]" so I was bricking it! Turns out that he wanted to tell me that he won't be at the university next year, so now I'll have to find another supervisor. :redface:

Said it was very good though! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest