The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Been editing/spellchecking for the last few days - much needed though as I've misspelled "course" as "curse" so many times and "them" as "then" a number of times too. Editing is long. Due date was meant to be this Friday, but we had an extension till Tuesday morning.
Okay so Im doing an dissertation for my BA American Studies degree and I need some opinions on these ideas. Here they are:

60s counter culture in the popular culture.
Bob Dylan.
Films of Paul Thomas Anderson or Coen Brothers or Martin Scorsese.
Old westerns compared with newer westerns. (obviously I haven't quite thought through this idea yet)
Vietnam war as depicted in American films.
Atheism vs. religion in America.
The history of American rock music.

So any thoughts?
I'd say the Vietnam War one, but it's not like I'm an expert. :s-smilie: Do you have a supervisor you can discuss your ideas with?
Original post by unclesquawk
Okay so Im doing an dissertation for my BA American Studies degree and I need some opinions on these ideas. Here they are:

Bob Dylan.
Old westerns compared with newer westerns. (obviously I haven't quite thought through this idea yet)

So any thoughts?

I did a module last term which was entitled, 'After Vietnam: Remembering Representing and Refighting the 'Bad War' which focused on film/documentaries/ contemporary footage. Extremely interesting and has a wealth of material for a dissertation. The course convener was a leading expert on Vietnam and was on various BBC programmes during the My Lai anniversary; so if you need any advice I'll be able to tell you what I know (and maybe send you a few things that was part of the readings ect.)
(edited 11 years ago)
what ever interests you most really...

however I would totally chose Vietnam war as depicted in American films

easily loads to write about and in my head be very easily formatted to build up to a brilliant conclusion.

but as I say, w.e interests you the most :smile:

Bob Dylan.

So any thoughts?

I think this may give you the most writing material. Plus, controversy makes for an interesting read.
Yeahh I will have a supervisor to assist me but I wanted to know what the TSR community would say :smile: Ah thanks guys, the Vietnam film idea is actually the one I was considering the most and Crocker710 really? That would be so much help if you could do that, thanks!
Yeah I like the atheism v religion idea, just not completely sure how i'd approach it or what the main thrust would be. It might require ALOT of reading, more than I might be prepared to do.. hmmm
bob dylan or vietnam war :smile:

Bob Dylan.

So any thoughts?

Off topic, but Mad Men? If only for the reason that you get to watch sexy Jon Hamm :wink:
Most of us are finished with dissertations due May 2012.
How are you guys filling the space and time? Are you going to post your results here? Are you glad you did it?
Reply 1271
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
How are you guys filling the space and time? Are you going to post your results here? Are you glad you did it?

I'm going to work/read/watch stuff on TED/stare at my online results page in half an hour bursts...:tongue: The waiting is killing me :nooo:

Whether I post my results or not will likely depend on what I get :tongue: No but yeah I probably will - and it'll be good to see how people did :h:

Yes and no :ninja: I had a love/hate relationship with my dissertation :colonhash: But 'tis good prep for next year so it's not like I regret it or anything :yep:

How about you? :biggrin:
You can all sit here and watch me stew as I start/struggle to complete my dissertation :emo:

My dissy went what seems ages ago in fact it was a few weeks ago! I shall post with my results. I am utterly glad with my piece of research I did. The modules (double) was compulsary but I loved it I'm just to be leaving uni in a few days properly :frown:

I shall be filling now and then with revision until 18th additional work experience and cleaning after 3 years of uni my room is looking like a bomb site now lol as it didnt get properly cleaned after 2nd year (i cracked a rib and was on codine so couldnt do much :frown: ) !

Mine is done just waiting to bind and submit :smile: slightly relieved :smile:
At the moment I still have half of another module essay to write but after that I'm going to chill until June 4 when I start my internship.

If I do alright I'll post my results - if it's a fail then no hahaha
I'm glad I've done it, I put my heart into it. it's taken over 7 months of work, I am sort of happy with it but don't want to expect any grade so I'm not disappointed come the 19th of June :tongue:
I look forward to the pain of this next year.
I hand mine in on Tuesday morning, Viva in early June, find out my BSc grade right after the Viva, and then I'm done...until September when I go back to medicine. Didn't think I'd ever say this, but I actually miss medicine after this year of essays and the dissertation. I miss my multiple choice questions. Haha.
It's printed, bound and submitted. Thank God! Never have to do a dissertation again! :biggrin:
Original post by amizzle91
It's printed, bound and submitted. Thank God! Never have to do a dissertation again! :biggrin:

Awww well done!!! :smile: You can relax now

To everyone still doing theirs, keep going you can do it! you're not far from the end :smile:
What kind of grade, percentage wise, are you guys expecting?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending