The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

We weren't allowed to put our names on our undergraduate dissertations. I think the same goes for my Masters one too :ninja:

A third of the way through my data collection for my Masters dissertation. So. bloody. long :sigh:
Reply 1301
Original post by Playa10
No i mean title as in prefix or suffix to your name, i.e. Mr or Miss

Ohh, I see - in that case, in answer to your original question - dissertation title (which I'm sure you've figured out by now :ninja:)

Should've put Dr in front of my name to see what they say come to think of it :colone:
Original post by aeterno
Ohh, I see - in that case, in answer to your original question - dissertation title (which I'm sure you've figured out by now :ninja:)

Should've put Dr in front of my name to see what they say come to think of it :colone:

Mine isn't due until the 22nd, so i think i might just do that.
2:1!!!!! 60% so barely a 2:1 but who cares. :biggrin:
Original post by RabbitCFH

Congrats :smile:
Original post by manupalace
Congrats :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 1306
Argh!

I just got 59 in my dissertation! I haven't stopped crying all day! I'm so upset, I worked for months on it to make it perfect! And he's marked me down for a couple of 'awkward sentences' apparently. It so didn't deserve a 2:2 :frown:

Can I appeal it? To go down to a 2:2 by 1% is just mean!
Original post by rm00097
Argh!

I just got 59 in my dissertation! I haven't stopped crying all day! I'm so upset, I worked for months on it to make it perfect! And he's marked me down for a couple of 'awkward sentences' apparently. It so didn't deserve a 2:2 :frown:

Normally, they are checked by a second marker. :frown:

Does the grade affect your end result - as in your degree result? At Lancaster, if 8 out of the 16 were a 2:1 and your average was 59%, you got a 2:1. If that makes sense. So having 59% wasn't going to stop you getting a 2:1 over all. :smile:

Congratulations. I wonder why they have told you yours so early - I think the History Dept were especially mean for making us wait until the end of June now lol. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
Congratulations. I wonder why they have told you yours so early - I think the History Dept were especially mean for making us wait until the end of June now lol. :smile:

Thanks. I haven't even got an email yet but my grade is shown on my account.

Congratulations :biggrin:
Thanks!

Congrats! :hugs:

Original post by rm00097
Argh!

:hugs:

Appealing depends on your individual department. There should be something in your handbook about it.

For example: appealing against a grade for Oxford Music is pretty much impossible :sigh:
Original post by angel_night
Congratulations :biggrin:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Congrats! :hugs:

Thanks guys :smile:
Thanks. I haven't even got an email yet but my grade is shown on my account.

Well done! Must feel so good to have everything wrapped up now!

Original post by rm00097
Argh!

:console:

Dunno much about the appeals process but good luck with it all the same. :smile:
Original post by Medicine Man
Well done! Must feel so good to have everything wrapped up now!

Yeah, but I have 6 exams left. :tongue:
D-DAY today. 2-3 hours and then I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Reply 1315
Handed mine in yesterday, all 142 pages of it! I'm so happy it's over now, its a huge weight off my mind. I really hope I get a good mark for it, I put my heart and soul into that thing. Now just three more exams and a baby 2500 word essay and I'm finished FOREVER. :/
Original post by Aimooo
Handed mine in yesterday, all 142 pages of it! I'm so happy it's over now, its a huge weight off my mind. I really hope I get a good mark for it, I put my heart and soul into that thing. Now just three more exams and a baby 2500 word essay and I'm finished FOREVER. :/

142 pages?! How many words is it?

I picked up my dissertation today and I saw that my supervisor only gave me 58 but the external marker changed it to 60. What a dick.
(edited 11 years ago)
We did a 2nd year 6000 word dissertations as practice for next year (but still counts towards our grade, just not as much), and out of 60 people 32 got a first, and one person got 90% with the average mark being 69%. That'd be perfect stats for next year :tongue: but they'll most likely mark it a bit harsher.

Saying that though, for some reason ucl happily give 80%+ marks to really good essays etc (I know people in third year who had dissertations at that much), and I see a lot of people on tsr saying how their unis never do that and stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)

Congratulations! Well done. It's great that you got the grade you wanted :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by amizzle91
Congratulations! Well done. It's great that you got the grade you wanted :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply