The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Just integrated primary schools at the moment :smile: quite interesting though complex.

Do you ever see yourself going back to northern Ireland for a sustained period of time?

Depends by what you mean sustained. My MA thesis is going to be on Northern Ireland and will deal with the Troubles and it means a lot of ethnographic research. Plan is to do the research over next summer and the one after that, maybe spending the first semester of 2013 in NI. If I carry it on for my PhD, it might mean coming back home, which would be nice.

I love Northern Ireland, I adore Belfast. I would love to live there, but I've no idea if there's any work for me, etc. I could see it myself doing it, but it would have to be feasible. Hell, I'm not even sure if I'll end up living in Iceland, though that is the plan. I want to be buried in Ireland, so at least my body will rest there. :biggrin:
Had my first meeting with my supervisor on Friday and thankfully someone (an MSc student) has already done some work in my area and I'm hopefully getting a computer model from him to continue with.

Not sure whether I should be bricking it or excited about the prospect of doing a dissertation. Never done anything nearly this big before. Feeling a bit "cautious" about the subject as well, as I only really thought of it the night before I had to hand in my proposal as my first one was rejected (too experimental and not analytical enough; required too much equipment and far too many man-hours). This one'll probably be entirely computational which isn't going to be as fun as the people building submarine robots and other actual functioning machines.

Oh well. Life's full of new experiences.
Original post by aeterno
I've gone and brought myself a shiny new diary for next year :colone:

How's everyone's research going? Or isn't? :ninja:

I bought an academic diary from Poundland :yeah:

Um, well I watched the latest Glee episode. So that's research :yep: :ninja: :yep:

I've sent my questionnaire to my supervisors to look at. Once it's approved and finalised, I will spam post a link here :awesome:
Reply 123
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I bought an academic diary from Poundland :yeah:

Um, well I watched the latest Glee episode. So that's research :yep: :ninja: :yep:

I've sent my questionnaire to my supervisors to look at. Once it's approved and finalised, I will spam post a link here :awesome:

:awesome: I bought a ridiculously overpriced one from WHSmith :ninja:

It's far closer to what you're doing than what I watched...The Lion King :ninja: No regrets though - time well spent :ahee: (I say that now though...)

:woo: I look forward to it! :awesome:
Original post by aeterno
:awesome: I bought a ridiculously overpriced one from WHSmith :ninja:

It's far closer to what you're doing than what I watched...The Lion King :ninja: No regrets though - time well spent :ahee: (I say that now though...)

:woo: I look forward to it! :awesome:

I'm still waiting for the day that The Lion King is out on DVD and isn't extortionally expensive. I should have bought it in Sri Lanka for the equivalent of just over £1 when I had the chance :sigh:

The ridiculously overpriced ones from WH Smith are so pretty though :teeth:
Missed an appointment with my supervisor thinking it was for next week felt very stupid and sent an apology back. Been doing some more sequencing and tried doing alignment work so hopefully he wont be too mad and think i've not done any work. Must get better at diary and time management. Got my lit review and progress report due in couple of weeks so aiming to finish lit review today and progress report soon. So I got something to show for not turning up as well.

Had some other work to contend myself with for some other modules.
Reply 126
I'm still waiting for the day that The Lion King is out on DVD and isn't extortionally expensive. I should have bought it in Sri Lanka for the equivalent of just over £1 when I had the chance :sigh:

The ridiculously overpriced ones from WH Smith are so pretty though :teeth:

I still have the video and set up the old VCR we happened to have locked in the garage :colone: Old skool :awesome: But it would be useful to have a DVD of it :yep: ...to, er, show my future children. Yes. :ninja:

That they are! :ahee: Plus if it lasts the whole year, it's worth the money...that's my odd logic towards it...:ninja:
Original post by aeterno
I still have the video and set up the old VCR we happened to have locked in the garage :colone: Old skool :awesome: But it would be useful to have a DVD of it :yep: ...to, er, show my future children. Yes. :ninja:

That they are! :ahee: Plus if it lasts the whole year, it's worth the money...that's my odd logic towards it...:ninja:

That's my kinda logic :yep:

Goldsmiths email is playing up, so I've no idea whether either of my supervisors have replied to my email about my questionnaire :frown:
Can I cry yet about the total lack of relevant literature within my research area? I have about 5 references so far when we need like 100. Ughhhh
Can I cry yet about the total lack of relevant literature within my research area? I have about 5 references so far when we need like 100. Ughhhh

:console:

But that's good coz you can make up whatever you like :awesome:

Have you tried searching JSTOR? :smile:
:console:

But that's good coz you can make up whatever you like :awesome:

Have you tried searching JSTOR? :smile:

I have searched most of the online journal databases and still working on it now :smile: I'll eventually get there but for the moment I am just in a dramatic mood. Yep will make some stuff up though and see if the marker has written anything remotely relevant.
I have searched most of the online journal databases and still working on it now :smile: I'll eventually get there but for the moment I am just in a dramatic mood. Yep will make some stuff up though and see if the marker has written anything remotely relevant.

That's the spirit :smile:

I'm a great believer that snacks - preferably of the chocolate variety - are a good motivator in such cases :ninja:
Reply 132

They can't mark you down if there are no relevant sources. Depending on your focus, you could look at identity studies carried out in Northern Ireland and see how that might affect integrated schools.
Eeek I have an interview with someone next week and I am quite nervous AND haven't planned it at all because I merely emailed an organization about their research. I guess it will male the dissertation feel more real but still scary.
Saw my lecturer supervisor today got appointment for monday made for progress review cutting it fine but should be ok progress review and lit review due in 12th! Should have it seen and checked by tomorrow then its tweaks finished by monday :smile:

Not got much more to complete just intro/results to tweak and discussion to complete but got everything for lit review but aiming to have it finished thursday/friday morning finished and sent to tutor.
My questionnaire has been almost approved: just need to change one question. Then to find Glee fansites :yep:
Reply 136
Original post by Sapphire_Eyes
Saw my lecturer supervisor today got appointment for monday made for progress review cutting it fine but should be ok progress review and lit review due in 12th! Should have it seen and checked by tomorrow then its tweaks finished by monday :smile:

Not got much more to complete just intro/results to tweak and discussion to complete but got everything for lit review but aiming to have it finished thursday/friday morning finished and sent to tutor.

That's so soon! :eek: Good luck :biggrin:

My questionnaire has been almost approved: just need to change one question. Then to find Glee fansites :yep:

:woo:
Original post by aeterno
That's so soon! :eek: Good luck :biggrin:

Thanks going to need it got to do my lit review but had so much trouble with my computer and not been able to access a load of journals I sense A LOT of work been done tonight/tomorrow (should have PR finished)/ Thursday/Friday morning/Monday (Final tweaks on PR and Lit review) and final clear ups done wednesday phew

Also planning to apply to be a student ambassador as well since ive not a job since 1st year and that was awful or stacking work in library which sounds awesome :smile:

We didnt get told much until we got back and its in earlier then normal which is slightly unfair given that I couldnt do bugger all in holidays and nor could a mate of mine should of at least mentioned it back in april/june time to do some of it!!
Having my first 'informal/off the record' chat with one of my lecturers tomorrow, hopefully it'll reassure me and get me straightened out.

I've changed my mind on what I'm going to do - I felt like 19th century and the class argument is a bit overdone (although I know we don't have to be original, still felt like I wasn't challenging myself)

But now I'm stuck between two ideas:

F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories, and the theme of disillusioned youth, or:

Nathaniel Hawthorne as one of the 'Godfathers' of the short story and the literary sub genre of dark romanticism.

Hmm. Decisions, decisions. Proposal is due in three weeks so I have time to mull it over.

Hoping everything is going well for everyone else! :biggrin:
Reply 139
Hello,

I am in my 3rd year of education studies. I have to produce a dissertation but I am really struggling on a research area. I am very keen on behaviour management strategies within the primary classroom. Please can someone suggest or advise on areas that can be looked at? I think the more I think about it, the more difficult it is becoming!! Thanks :-)
Positive Rating!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending