The Student Room Group

awesome charity shop finds?

So I raided my local charity shops in Southampton today, found a few things! So this got me wondering- whats the best thing you've ever found in a charity shop? Do you get a lot of compliments on it?

Here's my hoard today:

miss selfridge lace top- £2.50
new river island check shirt- £5.00

i also got loads of books for uni :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I never find anything decent in the charity shops near me, but ebay is a different story!
I found a superdry jacket in excellent condition for £2.
Reply 3
Original post by LooCee
I never find anything decent in the charity shops near me, but ebay is a different story!

if you walk around them a lot, you do find some good stuff! trust me, but you have to wade through a lot of rubbish first :P
I too have found some really nice stuff in charity shops.

I used to work at one and you'd never believe the rubbish that people donate but yeah if you sort through it all day like I did you'd definitely find some nice things :smile:
I got a denim jacket that was in perfect condition for about £6 when it was originally from Oasis.
Reply 6
I like the idea of charity shops.
But everytime I go in I find something really nice, but it's always a size 8, I'm a 12-14. :tongue:

But I still look, I do buy a lot of books from chairty shops!
No offence but I did volunteering work in a charity shop, once a week, for like a year and a half, and based on that experience I can say that I would never buy any clothes from a charity shop, and I will try to avoid going in them during the remainder of my life. Too many irritating retarded poor people - or at least that was the case at the one I volunteered at.
Reply 8
I bought a beautiful full length burgundy bridesmaids gown the other day for £15 (2 piece, corset and skirt) that I'm taking to uni for formal events, fits me like a glove I was so thrilled! :biggrin:
Reply 9
I've found lots of nice things in them. I tend to look at the books and DVD's and leave my Mum to look for clothes and she finds some really nice stuff.
My prom dress was from the Oxfam Vintage website and was really nice. It was 1950's I think, really long and had lots of material in it. I think it was only something like £40. You'd pay that much for the material if not more as it was so heavy and big. Did have to get it shortened though but it looked really nice. And everyone kept saying how nice it was at prom :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
My mum bought a genuine Burberry coat in a charity shop recently for about 10 quid :smile:
Reply 11
I got a lovely Reiss jacket for about £6, that would originally have been £100+. It's super smart and fits perfectly! Also found a Ted Baker tartan skirt, it's a bit annoying because it's one of those that always seems to shift around so the front ends up on your side but it's still pretty nice :smile:
i mainly get football/sports tops from charity shops

and books, love books from there :redface:

the last time i was in one i got a hot water bottle with a pooh bear cover, i almost bought one the night before from amazon, pleased i didnt :biggrin:
1960's white crochet shift dress (with a satin slip) £6! - My pride and joy!
Original post by charcharchar
So I raided my local charity shops in Southampton today, found a few things! So this got me wondering- whats the best thing you've ever found in a charity shop? Do you get a lot of compliments on it?

Here's my hoard today:

miss selfridge lace top- £2.50
new river island check shirt- £5.00

i also got loads of books for uni :biggrin:

I don't shop in charity shops, but I thought I'd drop in to say I love your sig :love:
I get happy when I see another Frank Turner fan :biggrin:
Reply 15
"A History of the Theatre" - £20 from Oxfam. That might seem like a rip off but it is the best book I have ever owned and perfect for uni.
Reply 16
I work in an Oxfam bookshop and get books all the time :smile: Also found a new (tag still on) strapless dress from a shop a few weeks ago, was £25 from Peacocks, I paid £7.

A few years ago I bought an old lacy wedding dress for £15, ripped it up and added fake blood, and wore it as a corpse bride costume for halloween. The next year I sold it on ebay for twice what I paid (Y)
Reply 17
i buy loads of thick knitted cardigans from there that are along the lines of what you'd find in topshop/urban outfitters, but for only 2 quid!!!

also pick up so many books, and there are always some decent classical CDs around, cheap as chips

i <3 charity shops!
Original post by (:Becca(:
I don't shop in charity shops, but I thought I'd drop in to say I love your sig :love:
I get happy when I see another Frank Turner fan :biggrin:

ahahah thank you :biggrin: i saw that photo and thought he looked very beautiful!

wow all these finds sounds amazing :smile:. Have to say though, I was sad when I didn't find any nice cardigans today :frown:
Reply 19
I've never had much luck with clothes in charity shops. I saw a really nice summer dress a few months ago that was my size but was huge for some reason; I think it may have been from a foreign shop. I do have some really nice heels I bought in a charity shop in Bristol, but I rarely wear them.

I buy loads of books from charity shops, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending