The Student Room Group

Help with maths AS..??

Okay...so I found out last week that I've been put down to do further maths AS level.......was definitely not expecting that.
Anyway, this is a new school for me and everybody else has learnt the syllabus for C1 and most of C2. I haven't :colondollar: The class has started from C2
How long would it take me to learn C1 and C2...?? Could I possibly self teach it...??
and is further maths doable....???
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
C1 isn't too bad if you did well at GCSE, it's mostly just an extension of it, C2 covers a lot of the same stuff as well so you just need to make sure C1 is well learnt so you have a good base :smile:
Exactly the same here. I went a new school last year and they put me in the further maths set, having not studied C1 or C2. They started teaching C3 and i didn't have a clue. Honestly, C1 took me 4 days and C2 took me a week. It absolutely is not difficult at all if you put your mind to it (i got 100 UMS in C1 and 94 in C2). After i got those two out the way C3 became much easier as did C4. Get the edexcel books for all your maths modules. They are made for students who want to self-teach. Everything else is useless.
Reply 3
Original post by Dreamweaver
Exactly the same here. I went a new school last year and they put me in the further maths set, having not studied C1 or C2. They started teaching C3 and i didn't have a clue. Honestly, C1 took me 4 days and C2 took me a week. It absolutely is not difficult at all if you put your mind to it (i got 100 UMS in C1 and 94 in C2). After i got those two out the way C3 became much easier as did C4. Get the edexcel books for all your maths modules. They are made for students who want to self-teach. Everything else is useless.

Woah......makes me kinda happy hearing it only takes 4 days...but then you do sound like a genius so..haha
would using an edexcel book be okay when I'm doing OCR MEI...??
Reply 4
Original post by ssss
C1 isn't too bad if you did well at GCSE, it's mostly just an extension of it, C2 covers a lot of the same stuff as well so you just need to make sure C1 is well learnt so you have a good base :smile:

Ah okay thanks :smile: I keep hearing C1 is just like harder bits of maths gcse....but we'll see :wink:
Reply 5
You'll be fine, C1 and C2 aren't that bad, and if you get stuck on anything just be sure to have a word with your teacher, I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out :smile:.
I did Edexcel so I would naturally recommend the Edexcel textbooks which are amazing if your self-teaching as they have step-by-step solutions to all the questions, however I'm sure MEI have an equivalent which'll be just as good.
Original post by ssss

What she said...
No, seriously, C1 is pretty much is GCSE with a few extra bits and a bit harder. C2 is slightly harder but it's pretty much just 'learn this formula for this equation' and stuff. Very doable by yourself, especially C1. I've just taken up further maths too :smile: Apparently it's not too hard...:h:
Good Luck. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by sam_93
You'll be fine, C1 and C2 aren't that bad, and if you get stuck on anything just be sure to have a word with your teacher, I'm sure they'd be willing to help you out :smile:.
I did Edexcel so I would naturally recommend the Edexcel textbooks which are amazing if your self-teaching as they have step-by-step solutions to all the questions, however I'm sure MEI have an equivalent which'll be just as good.

Thanks! :smile: luckily I have an Edexcel C1 textbook from my old school :colone:
Reply 8
Original post by eckothegecko
What she said...
No, seriously, C1 is pretty much is GCSE with a few extra bits and a bit harder. C2 is slightly harder but it's pretty much just 'learn this formula for this equation' and stuff. Very doable by yourself, especially C1. I've just taken up further maths too :smile: Apparently it's not too hard...:h:
Good Luck. :biggrin:

Ah okay......so far it sounds like it isn't very very hard......:redface: hopefully I'll be able to catch up soon. Thanks for the advice! Good luck with your further maths!! :smile:
Reply 9
C1-C4, M1, M2, S1, D1 (and even FP1) are not very hard units. They can be learned very quickly if you do the examples, most of the exercise questions, and get them right (checking the solutions). Immediately after you finish the module, get straight on with doing the past papers and the Solomon papers. If you're doing Further Maths, make sure you do not take the A2 FM units for granted; a unit like M4 or M5 is not as easy to just rush through (in my experience, it took a little longer for it to sink in). Remember that you need to be hitting in the 90s region for the A*; I've seen some people end up with an A or even a B because they just didn't revise for units like S4 or M5 properly. The past papers for those are limited. There are no Solomon papers, so you really do need to be using every resource you can find, erasing any doubt.

They can and WILL test a lot more than you think. When you see a trig identity, learn to prove it. When you see it say "it's useful to be able to prove this" don't take any chances. Do it. It'll usually say exactly what you need to be able to do in the specification. I've heard C1 and C2 teachers not even teach the proofs of arithmetic and geometric series summations; they have been tested in exams before.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending