The Student Room Group

Geo questions, Unis, courses(Birm,Sheff)

I have now had offers from all six university choices which is really good. But now I have wittled it down to two (i think)
Birmingham and Sheffield are my two favorites, and was wondering if any of you guys go to these Uni's doing Geography and could give me your general points about it (The others are Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Lancaster).

Also, I really like human geography, i just click with it straight away and I love travel, sights, places and people. I am not too keen on How a Glacier moves" kind of thing, its boring and soils make me want to commit suicide :rolleyes: But I do like Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Hazards kind of things and I know that is B/SC Geo, when I applied for BA. For those who do go to the two Uni's is their a choice you can make or something to enable you to do mostly one course and bits of another or is it all Human or half and half?

I love Geography, I had my AS retake :rolleyes: on Friday to try and bump up my overall grade into and A (15 off) pictures, countries, anything - so hopefully I will be milling around here for a long while :P
Also, I love tennis and would like clarification that both places have tennis clubs, but at Sheffield I have physically seen the Tennis Courts behind the GEO. department which is my kind of heaven!!

Thanks for any help :biggrin:

Crazy Rob.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to Bham. Obviously if I go it'll be the place to beeee :biggrin: (j/k)

Have you had your jargon from Birmingham yet? If not, then it's probable that when you do you'll be getting a booklet (thick) about your course and the exact modules that you can take. I had one, it says my lecturers, how many times a week, which ones are compulsory and which not etc. Was sooo helpful and interesting and would answer many of your q's :smile:

Welcome to TSR.
Reply 2
Lady_Muck
Go to Bham. Obviously if I go it'll be the place to beeee :biggrin: (j/k)

Have you had your jargon from Birmingham yet? If not, then it's probable that when you do you'll be getting a booklet (thick) about your course and the exact modules that you can take. I had one, it says my lecturers, how many times a week, which ones are compulsory and which not etc. Was sooo helpful and interesting and would answer many of your q's :smile:

Welcome to TSR.

No, I dont seem to have got any of that stuff :shakeshead: maybe i will find all that out at the open days, and I havent really looked over the internet yet eiter....I am unorganised :rolleyes:

I see you like tennis? I love tennis and its gradually helping me get fitter and I would reject a university if they didnt have good tennis facilities or clubs or something - Crazy no?
Reply 3
i was deciding between sheffield and birmingham for geography not so long ago came to the the conclucion birmingham was the best bet simply because of the atmosphere of the place. Its a campus uni whereas sheffield is built into the city, and i must say the birmingham campus looks amazing very green which was nice to see becaus ei'm from a rural area. tennis courts at birmingham uni http://www.sport.bham.ac.uk/facilities/tennis.htm and sport is generally evry good there from what ive seen and heard.
Reply 4
CAFC
i was deciding between sheffield and birmingham for geography not so long ago came to the the conclucion birmingham was the best bet simply because of the atmosphere of the place. Its a campus uni whereas sheffield is built into the city, and i must say the birmingham campus looks amazing very green which was nice to see becaus ei'm from a rural area. tennis courts at birmingham uni http://www.sport.bham.ac.uk/facilities/tennis.htm and sport is generally evry good there from what ive seen and heard.

Thanks for the info! Sheffield for me was kind of perfect, and the offer made it even more great - but i did visit it and I just got a strange feeling about the city itself that I didnt like. I am going to have to visit Birminhgam to make up me first hand decisions
Reply 5
they have accomodation at bham called tennis courts lol...............juuust thought i'd let you know!
Reply 6
beth_geog
they have accomodation at bham called tennis courts lol...............juuust thought i'd let you know!

Yeah, ha, I did see that and thought the whole place was based around tennis courts, but it wasnt :redface:
Reply 7
Jog.Ra.Fee.
No, I dont seem to have got any of that stuff :shakeshead: maybe i will find all that out at the open days, and I havent really looked over the internet yet eiter....I am unorganised :rolleyes:

I see you like tennis? I love tennis and its gradually helping me get fitter and I would reject a university if they didnt have good tennis facilities or clubs or something - Crazy no?

Not crazy, sports are important to me on a keep fit and enjoyment basis. I wouldn't want to go somewhere without adequate sports facilities.

Probs see you in the tennis club, then! Loooots of people to play with, yay!

--------------

when is your open day, sorry?
Reply 8
Jog.Ra.Fee.
I have now had offers from all six university choices which is really good. But now I have wittled it down to two (i think)
Birmingham and Sheffield are my two favorites, and was wondering if any of you guys go to these Uni's doing Geography and could give me your general points about it (The others are Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Lancaster).

Also, I really like human geography, i just click with it straight away and I love travel, sights, places and people. I am not too keen on How a Glacier moves" kind of thing, its boring and soils make me want to commit suicide :rolleyes: But I do like Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Hazards kind of things and I know that is B/SC Geo, when I applied for BA. For those who do go to the two Uni's is their a choice you can make or something to enable you to do mostly one course and bits of another or is it all Human or half and half?

I love Geography, I had my AS retake :rolleyes: on Friday to try and bump up my overall grade into and A (15 off) pictures, countries, anything - so hopefully I will be milling around here for a long while :P
Also, I love tennis and would like clarification that both places have tennis clubs, but at Sheffield I have physically seen the Tennis Courts behind the GEO. department which is my kind of heaven!!

Thanks for any help :biggrin:

Crazy Rob.

Well i can only tell you about Birmingham since my sister goes there and i live nearby. There is no difference between the BA and the BSc at Bham, so it doesn't matter which you apply for, you have all the same modules available to you, and if you end up choosing more human than physical geography, then you'll just end up with a BA instead of a BSc, no matter which you applied for. The modules are basically split half and half between the 2.

I believe Bham has tennis courts somewhere nearby the geography dept, since Bham came second in the uni rankings for sport.
Reply 9
Lady_Muck
Not crazy, sports are important to me on a keep fit and enjoyment basis. I wouldn't want to go somewhere without adequate sports facilities.

Probs see you in the tennis club, then! Loooots of people to play with, yay!

--------------

when is your open day, sorry?

I am not sure when the Open Days specifically for geo are, I dont know if there are seperate ones or not? Do you have any extra info to give me a hand with?
Reply 10
you should get a pack through from birmingham inviting you to a specific department open day i have one on the 25th of this month.... and i know there is ones on the 8th and 22nd of feb but i spose it depends when you reseived your offer to see when your open day is.
Reply 11
I am so stupid I cant find the offer pack ah crap - I am so dam disorganised
Reply 12
i think birmingham chopped down half a rainforest for the ammount of stuff they have sent me, ive already lost some of it!
Reply 13
They should have done it through email me thinks. I am obsessive about paper wastage and do take too kindly too bricks coming through the post. I am just too messy for all that junk :tongue:
Yes, I had a huge pack with like, everything I'd ever wanted to know (which is what impressed me TBH - I love organisation!) a huge booklet really indepth about my course etc.

Mine's on the 22nd? Might be worth making yourself a folder with 'University Offers' on, then popping all your jargon in there :p: The easiest way is to send back letters with when you want to go the day you get them, job done and you can plan in advance that you have Bham on the 22nd Feb etc.

If it helps, it's an A4 Manilla envelope :biggrin:

--------------

Oh and you then have a calender in your room, you write it on there, you have a calender in your study at school, write it on there, have a prep diary, write it in there, have a filofax, write it in there.

I couldn't forget! Put it that way!
Reply 15
Lady_Muck
Yes, I had a huge pack with like, everything I'd ever wanted to know (which is what impressed me TBH - I love organisation!) a huge booklet really indepth about my course etc.

Mine's on the 22nd? Might be worth making yourself a folder with 'University Offers' on, then popping all your jargon in there :p: The easiest way is to send back letters with when you want to go the day you get them, job done and you can plan in advance that you have Bham on the 22nd Feb etc.

If it helps, it's an A4 Manilla envelope :biggrin:

--------------

Oh and you then have a calender in your room, you write it on there, you have a calender in your study at school, write it on there, have a prep diary, write it in there, have a filofax, write it in there.

I couldn't forget! Put it that way!

I do have one, its got all my offers in from ucas and all the open day things, i have been through it a zillion times and i still cant find the birmingham thing :sad:
Reply 16
I too am stuck between Sheffield and B'ham for my Geography & Planning course.

Visited Sheffield last month and liked it but didn't really fall in love with the place, nice city and all though. Going to see B'ham early next month so will decide after that i guess.
Reply 17
BAD NEWS:

I mailed Bham and they said no abroad erasmus or international study scheemes whatsoever. This is really a setback for me as I really really wanted to do that. Oh well, looks like it will be Sheffield, they never reeplied yet so see what they have to say
Oh someone else doing the planning course! Thats 6 guys I know of so far. Is that a bad reason to go to a uni :redface:
Jog.Ra.Fee.
BAD NEWS:

I mailed Bham and they said no abroad erasmus or international study scheemes whatsoever. This is really a setback for me as I really really wanted to do that. Oh well, looks like it will be Sheffield, they never reeplied yet so see what they have to say

hey,i had to decide between sheffield and bham, i decided on Sheffield. Like you i totally click with the human stuff and have a dislike 4 alot of the physical course but like volcanoes earthquakes etc. My offer from sheffield was lower than what i was expecting and hense is now my firm choice! Visited the department and loved it everyone seemed to be so nice and friendly i also liked the vibe about the city. I now just need to decide on my insurance choice probably BA human at leicester as was my lowest offer. Hope your able to reach a decision soon! good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending