Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

LDR chat thread VIII

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I'd recommend the Good For The Sole collection at Debenhams. The shoes themselves are a bit hit and miss, but the pair that I have are these, and they're so lovely. Ridiculously comfortable and (IMO) just so pretty!
    PRSOM, but thanks! Did you get yours in-store or online? I'll probably end up going to the Bullring, anyway, so hopefully they'll have a good selection there. Some of them are so prettyyy!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Interrobang*)
    Thanks I wouldn't have been able to afford (or at least justify the price) normally, but I've still got over half of my gift card left

And yes, shoe shopping was a nightmare!
    Oo is this the gift card you won in a competition a while back?

Have my boy for 3 more hours but got the Sunday blues already xx
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)

Sunday blues are the worst. :hugs: I saw B from Thursday night to yesterday evening this week, and I just feel so unmotivated to do anything! :sad:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to take mine to the station
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just to say, so much respect to everyone here carrying on an LDR long term. Having been back to "normal" since October, I'm finding not seeing him for 4 nights tough enough, so here's hoping that we never go long distance again. Though doesn't help that my best friend and her boyfriend just broke up recently.

She did annoy me slightly though. They never used to argue about anything at all, and she said something along the lines of "cant believe we haven't lasted when you and Marc bicker all the time and argue about everything"..... made it clear to her that we might argue but it's pretty much expressing our feelings about things and not putting up with crap. And we've been through a hell of a lot more than her and her bf had considering we'd managed to see each other despite both being in our final years and living 2.5hrs away from each other...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    Just to say, so much respect to everyone here carrying on an LDR long term. Having been back to "normal" since October, I'm finding not seeing him for 4 nights tough enough, so here's hoping that we never go long distance again. Though doesn't help that my best friend and her boyfriend just broke up recently.

She did annoy me slightly though. They never used to argue about anything at all, and she said something along the lines of "cant believe we haven't lasted when you and Marc bicker all the time and argue about everything"..... made it clear to her that we might argue but it's pretty much expressing our feelings about things and not putting up with crap. And we've been through a hell of a lot more than her and her bf had considering we'd managed to see each other despite both being in our final years and living 2.5hrs away from each other...
    I honestly think it's relative. I'm not really going to see boy (apart from the odd morning or afternoon here and there) for the next seven weeks now; and while that was a standard amount of time while I was in Italy, it feels horrible now we've been seeing each other for four nights a week for the past two months. :sad:

Pft, I can't stand people like that! They should just take responsibility for their own relationships, instead of comparing and bitching with and about others!

---

SIBLINGS ARE ANNOYING. Two of them had a 9am-12pm rehearsal at school, so I dropped them off at 9am and said I'd see them later. One of them then informed me that a friend would be picking them up. I told her to text her to tell her not to, because this friend is pretty unreliable. I just answered the house phone (bearing in mind I was running late so should have already left) to say that friend is there to pick them up so I shouldn't bother. And then I've come back into the dining room to do some work and there's a missed call on my mobile, too - as if I'm going to answer my phone in the car! I'm seriously just treated like a taxi service, planning my time around them for them to just change plans at the last minute. My mum seriously never put up with this when I was younger (we lived in the middle of nowhere, none of us could drive and getting anywhere was quite a long way in the car). Raaage.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this was her first relationship and she thought it was all great because he never voiced any concerns that he'd obviously had. Just because you pretend everything's great doesn't mean it is... She actually said that she didn't think she could carry on in a relationship if they argued because it would be too much stress. She thinks he's been excellently honest with her in calling time on the whole thing, but she was devastated because she couldn't see it coming.

I get stressed out when I bicker with Marc but prefer that to having to keep my mouth shut about things that bug me.

Jeh-Jeh, I know the feeling with younger siblings being treated more favourably. My 19 year old sister goes out at least once a week, usually more, and tells all sorts of stories about how drunk she's been. I go out maybe once a month and Mum gives me a disapproving look if I get up hungover the next day. I think older siblings just get the rubbish deal, because if we turn out to be a success then it doesn't matter what the younger ones do...
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    Yeah, this was her first relationship and she thought it was all great because he never voiced any concerns that he'd obviously had. Just because you pretend everything's great doesn't mean it is... She actually said that she didn't think she could carry on in a relationship if they argued because it would be too much stress. She thinks he's been excellently honest with her in calling time on the whole thing, but she was devastated because she couldn't see it coming.

I get stressed out when I bicker with Marc but prefer that to having to keep my mouth shut about things that bug me.

Jeh-Jeh, I know the feeling with younger siblings being treated more favourably. My 19 year old sister goes out at least once a week, usually more, and tells all sorts of stories about how drunk she's been. I go out maybe once a month and Mum gives me a disapproving look if I get up hungover the next day. I think older siblings just get the rubbish deal, because if we turn out to be a success then it doesn't matter what the younger ones do...
    To be honest, how's she ever going to have a healthy relationship if she finds it too stressful to voice issues/have arguments? In my opinion, it's part of growing together as a couple - we laugh about the vast majority of our arguments now!

I think people think that I view my childhood through rose-tinted spectacles, but I am aware that I was a hormonal horror, but at the same time all three of my sisters (and ultimately my little brother) are afforded much more freedom simply because there's now four drivers (and cars) in the family when there was two (one of whom, my dad, worked unsociably long hours) when I was growing up.

My mum was talking about how some of my sister's friends have turned on her because they're friends with the ex she cheated on last night, and how it's not fair because she was in a similar situation when she was young... err, love, still doesn't mean it's right! I'd be fuming if boy cheated on me! Sister's new boyfriend is coming round to cook dinner for my mum tonight (my dad's on holiday), which is weird... HE HAS HIS OWN MOTHER, and we're capable in this house... my mum is basically the head of our house, anyway, so it's not like we're particularly lacking a male figure in my dad's (week long) absence. So strange.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)

Yep

And I know all about younger siblings getting away with more too
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeh_jeh)
    Sunday blues are the worst. :hugs: I saw B from Thursday night to yesterday evening this week, and I just feel so unmotivated to do anything! :sad:
    :hugs: thanks xx
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back at home now Kinda at a loss of what to do - the boy normally doesn't leave until about 4, so usually I have less time to fill He was a gentleman at the station - my friend was there going home, and was really struggling with her backs, and the boy helped her get them on the train without me having to even ask ^^

----

The boy and I have never had a proper argument. It's quite hard to argue with someone who's so laid back that they're practically horizontal Most of the time, we're able to sort things out before they become an issue. There have been a couple of times I've got really upset, but I wouldn't really class them as arguments - generally, I throw a strop/have a massive cry, he waits for me to calm down, then we talk through what's bothering me.

As for siblings, my brother has to much more freedom than I do. He'll go out, and will refuse to let my parents know what time he's getting home. He'll often stay out until 2/3 in the morning. I would never have got away with that when I was his age, and tbh, I doubt I would even now It's very frustrating.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM, but thanks! Did you get yours in-store or online? I'll probably end up going to the Bullring, anyway, so hopefully they'll have a good selection there. Some of them are so prettyyy!
    I got mine in the store, so I'm sure Birmingham will have a good selection since the Debenhams in my home town did! I have dropped arches as well and I find them SO much more comfortable than other heels, because they're wider and they have a layer of soft material in between your foot and the rest of the shoe sole. I hope you manage to find a pair!

Aaah, stress. I have so much to do before I go home tomorrow evening. Since I'm the last one here, I've just done all the washing up (which wasn't even mine :sigh:), cleaned the kitchen surfaces and put the bins out, and I still have to finish my essay, tidy my room a bit more, write a packing list, actually pack, and nip into town quickly tomorrow morning to buy the other half of my mum's present. I hate end of term travel stress so much.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How strange, I have those Clarks shoes that Flo posted, and my ex bought me that Tiffany ring that Katie has just bought!

Had a really nice day yesterday, went out in London. Went to the aquarium, had lunch and then went shopping on Oxford St til about 9.30. So achey today after all that walking! Just back home for a bit to see my mum while my bf watches the football, then back to his for cuddles later :love:

Hope everyone's ok :hugs:
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh. Yesterday was a horrible, horrible day. Nearly broke up with J. =/ It's better now, but I think he was having a bit of a commitment phobic panic attack and stress monster man period. Just a horrible, horrible day
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephrenia)
    Eurgh. Yesterday was a horrible, horrible day. Nearly broke up with J. =/ It's better now, but I think he was having a bit of a commitment phobic panic attack and stress monster man period. Just a horrible, horrible day
    :hugs:

---

My mum's had a Kobo for Mothers' Day, and I'm SO jealous. I really want the Vox - it's an e-reader/iPad combination that runs the Android operating system (hi, apps!). :love: Pfft, maybe not, seems it doesn't run Android Market - but its own version, GetJar - which will mean a smaller selection of apps. Faaail. It's still beautiful, though!
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Trish, glad you've sorted it out

And that's weird Hannah!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame Katie, because I loved that ring. He put me off wearing it!
    • 17 followers

(Original post by Flo[ProActiv])

The boy and I have never had a proper argument. It's quite hard to argue with someone who's so laid back that they're practically horizontal Most of the time, we're able to sort things out before they become an issue. There have been a couple of times I've got really upset, but I wouldn't really class them as arguments - generally, I throw a strop/have a massive cry, he waits for me to calm down, then we talk through what's bothering me.
    Ben and I are the same. I imagine as we're together a bit longer it might happen from time to time, but he's so relaxed barely anything ruffles his feathers. I'm not the complete opposite but certain things do bother me! We seem to be like you two, he lets me calm down first before attempting to talk!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even thought about what I'm wearing for graduation
    Same, it hasn't even crossed my mind. I've not even enrolled for it yet but I've got till May. I'm just going to worry about getting the work done first, I can sort clothes once I've got all my exams out the way (in less than 2 months :eek:). How come people are thinking about it already? Or do you have a really early graduation Jess? I seem to remember people being told they had to wear a certain kind of outfit anyway (might have been people on here?) so I'm not going to worry.

We're like that too. I have a really bad temper and could argue about anything but he just doesn't argue. Well, didn't. We've started fighting more now but I suppose that happens after a while, especially living together.

(Original post by Sephrenia)
    :hugs: Glad things are better.

SIBLINGS ARE ANNOYING.
    Yessss they are. My sister is an absolute horror, she's so lazy and spoilt. Every time you speak to her or ask her to do something she snaps and can't unset the table or whatever cos she has soooo much work to do. And yet she spends half her time round at her boyfriend's house..? :rolleyes:

:hugs: for everyone.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by New...Romantic)
    Or do you have a really early graduation Jess?
    Not especially early, no (17th July), but with having such ****ed up feet, formal shoe hunting is an absolute nightmare, so by extension so is dress shopping - I have to make sure I can match what I can find shoe-wise with the dress, so I always need absolutely loads of time when I need a new outfit. Quite annoying, really, as I still have a mountain of work to do!

(Original post by New...Romantic)
    Yessss they are. My sister is an absolute horror, she's so lazy and spoilt. Every time you speak to her or ask her to do something she snaps and can't unset the table or whatever cos she has soooo much work to do. And yet she spends half her time round at her boyfriend's house..? :rolleyes:
    Sounds like my sister: can never do stuff with the rest of the family because of revision, but has time to see the boyfriend.
Updated: August 13, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered Chat threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.