The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Safe but not too pricey areas in London.

I'm applying to both UCL and KCL and wanted to know whether any current students/londoners know any areas of london that are a) cheapish b)not too far from the unis c) relatively safe for a girl.

I'm not completely terrified of the big wide world but I want to strike a balance between saving money and ending up in a real dodgy corner of London.

Ta :wink: x
Reply 1
Camden is probably your best bet for UCL.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by EveTibbatts
I'm applying to both UCL and KCL and wanted to know whether any current students/londoners know any areas of london that are a) cheapish b)not too far from the unis c) relatively safe for a girl.

I'm not completely terrified of the big wide world but I want to strike a balance between saving money and ending up in a real dodgy corner of London.

Ta :wink: x

Camden is close to both, very close, though it would depend on where you wanted to live in Camden as places can be dodgy............................ other possibility is Barnet which is just northern line to Kings cross :smile:
Morden, Tooting... they are one direct tube to kings college
Reply 4
All areas of London have their risk; some more than others. You cant find somewhere that is totally safe but there are areas like Barnet and Finchley that are reasonably priced, well located for access to UCL and KCL and crime rates are lower than in places south of the Thames.

Look for places in Barnet, Finchley and Edgware and you won't break the bank. Plus you'll be safer in one of these places than you will in Camden.
Elephant and Castle lolz?
As a rule of thumb, the further out of Central London you go, the cheaper (or more value for money) and safer it tends to be.

You've made the question a bit awkward in the fact that there's not really accommodation that's close to UCL and King's that's not mega-expensive (or reasonable but your living in a box essentially). Camden can be borderline walk able (30mins tops) to UCL, but not to King's. Depends how far you're willing to commute in the end.

General areas to "avoid" have always usually been East London (inc. bits of NE London) and the South bank. Anywhere else is usually fine.
Original post by TyrosineKinase
Elephant and Castle lolz?

Have heard mixed opinions about it...care to share yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending