The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
sophie: smashed the ukcat!! defo go for kings :smile: and im from slough

hkn: LOL kings is amazing, hopefully all us reapplicants get into kings :biggrin:
Reply 181
Original post by Sophie Heaves
thanks guys im going on a course in berkshire on 22nd october about the interview, should help

wheres the course? i think i might attend :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by Sophie Heaves
thanks guys im going on a course in berkshire on 22nd october about the interview, should help

I went on one like that last year, was pretty good in covering things :smile:
Reply 183
Original post by parrs
have you got any links for this course?

yer have you? datchet is like down the road for me :biggrin:
Reply 184
i got it sophie, thanks :smile:
Reply 185
Original post by kazma
unfortunatley, ur ukcat is too low because i spoke to barts on the phone and they sed that they have three stages
1) academic: probably gcse grades/as level grades?
2) ukcat: u need a MINIMUM of 2400 (600 average)
3) ranking according to points (which is where i fear ima flop in =\ )

erm basically its 140 for a* 120 for a so your on 380 and then u add the fourth as to your score and u get it, so say if u got a A in ur fourth as ur on 440 etc.

Intresting, my points and academia are ok, but i'm not sure about UKCAT

1) gcse, 2A* 6A 2B 1C and A2 2A* 1A AS 1A
2) UKCAT 2490
3) UCAS Tariff 665

The UKCAT worries me though, has anyone got any opinions, i'm gonna ring the unis but i figured i'd ask :tongue:
Does anyone know whether sheffield accept dental reapplications because i know bristol dont. Also are Bham, sheffield & liverpool all focused on academic achievement - i know that sounds stupid being that all ask for AAA but i mean for instance Manchester look for all rounded students who might have slipped up slightly in their grades but will give them an offer etc etc.

You see i got an offer last year but messed up and didnt get the grades in my 3rd (non science) subject so im doing additional alevels obv im not appling QM or Kings. But out of Sheff, bham & liverpool which do you think is best.

Thanks & good luck with your applications.
Reply 187
Original post by Kartace
Intresting, my points and academia are ok, but i'm not sure about UKCAT

1) gcse, 2A* 6A 2B 1C and A2 2A* 1A AS 1A
2) UKCAT 2490
3) UCAS Tariff 665

The UKCAT worries me though, has anyone got any opinions, i'm gonna ring the unis but i figured i'd ask :tongue:

HOLY SH*T how have u got 665 points man? i reckon u'd be fine for barts because ur points are really high, but thats my opinion. still though, have u dne like a btech or some musical stuff?
Reply 188
Original post by AbigailBowden
Does anyone know whether sheffield accept dental reapplications because i know bristol dont. Also are Bham, sheffield & liverpool all focused on academic achievement - i know that sounds stupid being that all ask for AAA but i mean for instance Manchester look for all rounded students who might have slipped up slightly in their grades but will give them an offer etc etc.

You see i got an offer last year but messed up and didnt get the grades in my 3rd (non science) subject so im doing additional alevels obv im not appling QM or Kings. But out of Sheff, bham & liverpool which do you think is best.

Thanks & good luck with your applications.

erm the best thing to do would be to check the websites, i assume your a retake student? every uni accepts re-applicants in terms of gap year students, so tbh it depends on the uni i think liverpool would be the best, buh u have to talk about extenuating circumstances.
Reply 189
Original post by kazma
HOLY SH*T how have u got 665 points man? i reckon u'd be fine for barts because ur points are really high, but thats my opinion. still though, have u dne like a btech or some musical stuff?

Lol thanks, fingers crossed. I did welsh baccalaureate, which is 120 points and i have a grade 8 in music which is 85. As well as 400 from my A*A*A at A level. So thats how those stack up :tongue: :smile:
Original post by kazma
erm the best thing to do would be to check the websites, i assume your a retake student? every uni accepts re-applicants in terms of gap year students, so tbh it depends on the uni i think liverpool would be the best, buh u have to talk about extenuating circumstances.

Im not doing any resits. Bristol will not accept an applicant who hasnt achieved AAA within 2 years. Im just doing extra alevels I have AA in bio & chem but history wasnt an A so im doing maths physics and politics to fill the year to make up for my poor history grade.

Obv im applying manc because my PS is pritty good so thats going to leave me in good sted with them & i firmed them last year. Im applying Cardiff but not kings because last year i rejected them. I think im going to put Liverpool and sheffield.
Reply 191
Original post by jensumners
I really hope they do..! This has me panicking now.

Just looked at my post-interview rejection e-mail from them and it says: "Unfortunately we cannot reconsider your application this year. However, if you fulfil our minimum entry requirements and gain further appropriate work experience, we would consider a new UCAS application from you next year"

I don't think they would write this if they didn't consider re-applicants.

I e mailed them to ask and they said they do : )
Reply 192
Original post by AbigailBowden
I got in last year to Manc with 590 :smile:

ahh really? what were ure stats? like what gsces, a levels, personal stat n work exp etc like?
(if you dony mind me asking) :smile:
Original post by kazma

Original post by kazma
just spoke to barts on the fone:

they sed that yep those who have A*A*A* predicition will be ranked higher then sumone who has already achieved AAA/A how stupid! she then sed that theres a whole list of qualifications on the ucas website which you can add to your traiff etc =\

in short those who are doing more than 3 a levels, and those who have really high predicitons of like A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A* are pretty much garunteed interview compared to people like me who have already achieved AAA :frown:

stupid barts, the system sucks bigtime!!

so much for having a decent ukcat =\

yeah they said EXACT same thing to me when i rang up after results day... i applied there last year and got an iv but it went ****... but im not gna reapply there this year. when i rang all the other unis to see if they rank some1 with a* predictions higher they all said no saying that if they meet the AAA requirement they get to next stage of process (looking at personal statement and references). u a gap year student too?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 194
Original post by conjepense
yeah they said EXACT same thing to me when i rang up after results day... i applied there last year and got an iv but it went ****... but im not gna reapply there this year. when i rang all the other unis to see if they rank some1 with a* predictions higher they all said no saying that if they meet the AAA requirement they get to next stage of process (looking at personal statement and references). u a gap year student too?

yer im a gap year student.

i kno thats the thing about other unis they say aslong as u meet our AAA requirment its all good (so to speak). where else did u apply last year?
Original post by kazma

Original post by kazma
yer im a gap year student.

i kno thats the thing about other unis they say aslong as u meet our AAA requirment its all good (so to speak). where else did u apply last year?

Kings (got put on waiting list), bristol and leeds. (both rejected without interview)

where u applyin this year?
Did the UKCAT today and got 662.5... what unis does anyone recommend I should apply to?
ahh uni of dundee have a new interview system now!

It is proposed that for entry in 2012 Dentistry will adopt the method of interviewing known as Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs).
This will be a series of 10 seven-minute interviews. You can expect the usual topics to be covered in these interviews, e.g. why do you want to study Dentistry, what makes Dentistry at Dundee unique. You will also be asked to expand on some aspects of your UCAS personal statement.
We will be assessing your communication skills at most stations and also teamworking through a series of interactive interview stations, where you may have a task to complete or an actor to talk to.
Original post by conjepense
ahh uni of dundee have a new interview system now!

It is proposed that for entry in 2012 Dentistry will adopt the method of interviewing known as Multiple Mini Interviews (MMIs).
This will be a series of 10 seven-minute interviews. You can expect the usual topics to be covered in these interviews, e.g. why do you want to study Dentistry, what makes Dentistry at Dundee unique. You will also be asked to expand on some aspects of your UCAS personal statement.
We will be assessing your communication skills at most stations and also teamworking through a series of interactive interview stations, where you may have a task to complete or an actor to talk to.

70min interview WTF
Reply 199
Original post by Lucky Kam
Only for Dundee? What about MMIs at other dental schools? And are there any courses to go on about this?

Cardiff had MMI system last year, took around an hour for 10 stations in total.. and kings around 25mins for 5 stations.. idk about courses for MMI but there is a course that covers certain topics that may come up in a dental interview.. look up ''Tooth Booth'' for more details

Quick Reply

Latest