The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hkn123

Original post by hkn123
yeahh i got put on the waiting list in the end lol, too much drama :tongue: they made us wait insanely long to find out :frown:

yeahhhh i was on waiting list too, my patience had never been tested so much!
Reply 241
Original post by conjepense
Have you mentioned anything related to pharmacy in your personal statement?

i got a job in a pharmacy so hopefully that shuld be enough, who knows, i'll post my personal statement up after october 15th :biggrin:
Original post by jaina1
erm it says this on their website 'If you have applied to us before, any subsequent application should provide updated information on your suitability for the course. We reserve the right to draw on any information from previous applications.' about pervious applicants. so i could reapply i guess cz im not retaking any a levels :s

but im not sure how they use ukcat, on their website it says they do not have a cut off score for ukcat, so do u know how it is considered by any chance?

ahh im sure they'll give u an offer again with ure stats n work exp etc :smile: they'd be silly not to :smile:

Ah well thats great! Oh so have you got your AAA but your not on the course this year because you didnt get an offer? Or are you doing what im doing, additonal alevels?

To my knowledge Manchester give you points for each differnt factor in the application for instance, grades, UKCAT, ps and they then rank the candidates and thats the order of called interviews. Those who score at the bottom are just rejected. They then interview and you recieve additional points - depending on your total they then offer or reject you. Going off my application last year my UKCAT was lower than what i got this year and my grades were similar i would say that PS & Interview are what makes or breaks you chance of an offer.
Can anyone shed a light on which two unis out of cardiff dundee liverpool and leeds i should choose with a ukcat of 662.5 gcses: 10 A*s AS: 4 as A2: 3 As and a B ? i dont care where i go i just want to choose the ones i'd have maximum chance of getting an iv/offer with..

my other two choices for definite are Birmingham and Kings

thanks!
Can anyone shed a light on which two unis out of cardiff dundee liverpool and leeds i should choose with a ukcat of 662.5 gcses: 10 A*s AS: 4 as A2: 3 As and a B ? i dont care where i go i just want to choose the ones i'd have maximum chance of getting an iv/offer with..

my other two choices for definite are Birmingham and Kings

thanks!

cardiff- to be honest all of the one's you have mentioned

you have great academics for all
Original post by undertaker1

cardiff- to be honest all of the one's you have mentioned

you have great academics for all

thanks, i just dunno if i should choose another non ukcat uni (like liverpool which offer a guranteed iv if u meet basic entry requirements) or a ukcat uni... really cant decide !
thanks, i just dunno if i should choose another non ukcat uni (like liverpool which offer a guranteed iv if u meet basic entry requirements) or a ukcat uni... really cant decide !

to be honest it's all luck aswell i know someone with no A* at gcse's who got 3 ofers from non ukcat univeristy's he didn't even meet the minimum gcse requirements and this was this year aswell.

like i said before you have excellent academics and the ukcat univeristy's dont only look at ukcat.

to be honest it's all luck aswell i know someone with no A* at gcse's who got 3 ofers from non ukcat univeristy's he didn't even meet the minimum gcse requirements and this was this year aswell.

like i said before you have excellent academics and the ukcat univeristy's dont only look at ukcat.

yeah i know ur right...i'll see I still have a week to decide anyway! Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 248

is that true about liverpool?
Original post by Nijo Bosh

im sure everyone who applys meets the basic entry requirements so they can't realistically interview everyone

or can they...

yeah thats what my friend told me who got an offer with them she said they give every1 who meets teh basic requirements interviews.. but obv that means the iv has to go REALLLY well to get an offer
Reply 251
Original post by AbigailBowden
Ah well thats great! Oh so have you got your AAA but your not on the course this year because you didnt get an offer? Or are you doing what im doing, additonal alevels?

To my knowledge Manchester give you points for each differnt factor in the application for instance, grades, UKCAT, ps and they then rank the candidates and thats the order of called interviews. Those who score at the bottom are just rejected. They then interview and you recieve additional points - depending on your total they then offer or reject you. Going off my application last year my UKCAT was lower than what i got this year and my grades were similar i would say that PS & Interview are what makes or breaks you chance of an offer.

yehh got my grades, and nope not doing additional a levels, thort id do more work exp etc over the year and maybe travel n more charity work

and yehh i think i shud stick to non ukcat unis with 585 :frown: ahh i hate the ukcat! its so stupid! i dont think i cud ever get used to it no matter how much practise i do!

im sure everyone who applys meets the basic entry requirements so they can't realistically interview everyone

or can they...

no i was told they do interview everyone who meets the basic entry requirements... they interview SO many people
no i was told they do interview everyone who meets the basic entry requirements... they interview SO many people

do you know how many people applied soz about my previous statement your probz right
Reply 254
yeah thats what my friend told me who got an offer with them she said they give every1 who meets teh basic requirements interviews.. but obv that means the iv has to go REALLLY well to get an offer

I highly doubt that- seems very unlikely.

do you know how many people applied soz about my previous statement your probz right

i dont know how many applied sorry!
my friend just said with liverpool because they interview so many people you have to be really good at interview... and they only have 60 places? fewer than other unis right?

I highly doubt that- seems very unlikely.

Fair enough- she got an offer there and so I assumed she knew what she was talking about.
hey people nearly completed my personal statement today- took me like a 6 weeks.

i was wondering whether people have stated the lenght of there work experiance. i hve done work experiance at 2 dental sugerys and i have only mentioned one in my personal statement. i also haven't mentioned how long i did it for either

would it be a good idea to mentioned how long i did work experiance for and also mention both of my places where i did work experiance.

also i have done voluntary work at nursing homes and i haven't really got any space to mention it.

my question is should i mention one thing and then expand on it or mention loads of differnt things briefly. currently i have gone into a few things into alot of detail- have i taken the wrong approach

any help very much appreciated
Reply 258
mention the length of experience related to dentistry, it's important
Original post by jaina1
yehh got my grades, and nope not doing additional a levels, thort id do more work exp etc over the year and maybe travel n more charity work

and yehh i think i shud stick to non ukcat unis with 585 :frown: ahh i hate the ukcat! its so stupid! i dont think i cud ever get used to it no matter how much practise i do!

id apply to manc i got an offer last year on 590 :smile: i hope we both get in this year :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest