The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hkn123
Idk much about the new system, ask kazma but from what i understand from what kazma said they add up your UCAS tariff points and order interviews on that or something?

what do you mean by ucas tariff points
Reply 121
Original post by parrs
For the 5 year medicine course, Barts and the London are now (for 2012 entry onwards) operating a criteria whereby there is a pre-determined cutoff of 2400. Any candidate that fails to get a UKCAT score of 2400 will be rejected without interview. Once the UKCAT cut-off has been met, your application will be ranked by UCAS tariff points and academic ability, to determine who is invited to interview.

Taken from the Medicine section, don't know whether the Dentistry course is the same.

hey thanks :smile:
i just went on the qmul website and for dentistry it says:
"Your UKCAT score will be considered in our selection process but it will not be the sole indicator for selection for interview. UKCAT scores will be balanced against achievement in other areas, in particular your academic performance thus far, and all indicators will be considered together. We are not able to give you advice on the minimum score we require, since it varies from year to year; however, it is unlikely that you would be offered an interview if you obtained a UKCAT score below 2400, although we cannot guarantee we will be able to offer you an interview if you score above this."
Reply 122
Original post by undertaker1
what do you mean by ucas tariff points

it's where you get points for each grade, scroll down to the gce tariff table to see what points you would achieve http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/
or use this calculator.. http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointscalculator.asp
when calculating your ucas tariff points, you only include the AS subjects you've dropped and the A2 ones you've done

basically, what parrs just said :tongue:
Original post by parrs
We have a few blondes on here don't we?

A* - 140 points
A - 120 points
B - 100 points
C - 80 points
D - 60 points
E - 40 points

A student with AAA will have 360 points (i.e. 120 + 120 + 120)
A student with A*AA will have 380 points (i.e. 120 + 120 + 140)

and so on ...

Original post by hkn123
it's where you get points for each grade, scroll down to the gce tariff table to see what points you would achieve http://www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/
or use this calculator.. http://www.merlinhelpsstudents.com/studentlife/beforeuniversity/ucas/ucaspointscalculator.asp
when calculating your ucas tariff points, you only include the AS subjects you've dropped and the A2 ones you've done

basically, what parrs just said :tongue:

so do you get points on AS grades achieved or predicted grades because i heard private schools dont have to declare AS grades onto ucas- im not sure about this though so dont quote me on it.
Reply 124
Original post by parrs
It's better that medicine has a predetermined score of 2400.

The dentistry one is saying nothing new. All it's saying is you need a score of 2400+ (i.e. an approximate average of 600), and if you get a score below this we won't be inviting you to an interview, but if you get above this we can't guarantee you'll get invitied ... we all knew that already, it's nothing new QMUL!

yeah seems the same as last year, so basically whatever our ukcat score, we have no idea if it's good enough or not :tongue:. i agree predetermined scores would save a lot of hassle, but i guess this way they give more people a chance sort of.. like by making it up with a good PS etc.
Reply 125
so do you get points on AS grades achieved or predicted grades because i heard private schools dont have to declare AS grades onto ucas- im not sure about this though so dont quote me on it.

you get points collectively on AS grades achieved (for the subject you don't take on to A level) and your predicted grades for A2..
Reply 126
Original post by parrs
Eg. If an applicant is doing 3A2s and another one is doing 5A2s, I wonder if they'd keep it uniform and take say only 3 subjects into account or add points for each subject (which doesn't seem fair) if like the example, one applicant did more than the other.

I couldn't find the post you posted on their official website. It doesn't matter anyway, I won't be applying there, was just curious.

ohh good point! well from their website this ucas point thing may not even be true for dentistry. I'm not applying there either :tongue:

have you decided on your final choices?
Original post by parrs
Eg. If an applicant is doing 3A2s and another one is doing 5A2s, I wonder if they'd keep it uniform and take say only 3 subjects into account or add points for each subject (which doesn't seem fair) if like the example, one applicant did more than the other.

hypothetical as I don't think they are using this scoring system, but im sure they would as other unis say they don't give any preference to people with more than 3 A-levels they just take you top 3. So I can't imagine them being any different
Reply 128
Original post by parrs
I'm applying next year as a graduate. Haven't decided anything yet, will wait until I know the UKCAT score. How about you?

ohh ok, what degree are you doing? I'm thinking King's and Cardiff.. maybe manchester.. and the other two probably back up of some sort lol
anyone know what sheffield's and barts cut off points where last year. i got 595 and i wont be applying there but im a little curious.

and also what is the order of university's who put a lot of emphasis on ukcat to those who dont excluding non ukcat uni's.

thanks and btw i am not being lazy i just want an another opinion as there is no exact answer because so many other things are considered aswell

and also could someone recommend to me which university's i should apply to with 595 ukcat score and gcse's: 5A and 6B's i know there rubbish and also B's are in english language and lit and maths. i would apply to non ukcat university's however i dont meet me the minimum gcse entry requirements
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 130
what do you mean by new system my predicted grades are A*AA but i only got 595 on my ukcat. what score does that give me

unfortunatley, ur ukcat is too low because i spoke to barts on the phone and they sed that they have three stages
1) academic: probably gcse grades/as level grades?
2) ukcat: u need a MINIMUM of 2400 (600 average)
3) ranking according to points (which is where i fear ima flop in =\ )

erm basically its 140 for a* 120 for a so your on 380 and then u add the fourth as to your score and u get it, so say if u got a A in ur fourth as ur on 440 etc.
Reply 131
anyone know what sheffield's and barts cut off points where last year. i got 595 and i wont be applying there but im a little curious.

and also what is the order of university's who put a lot of emphasis on ukcat to those who dont excluding non ukcat uni's.

thanks and btw i am not being lazy i just want an another opinion as there is no exact answer because so many other things are considered aswell

and also could someone recommend to me which university's i should apply to with 595 ukcat score and gcse's: 5A and 6B's i know there rubbish and also B's are in english language and lit and maths. i would apply to non ukcat university's however i dont meet me the minimum gcse entry requirements

king's, qmul, sheffield and cardiff all put a lot of emphasis on ukcat.. manchester use it but they are more flexible with it so perhaps try applying there? and by flexible i mean they look at other aspects of your application such as PS, academics and work exp in more detail..

leeds is a non-ukcat university and they accept your gcses.. "Normally, applicants for Dentistry should offer a minimum of 6 GCSEs, including English, Mathematics, and Chemistry and Biology (or Dual Science). The University of Leeds requires a minimum grade ‘C’ level pass in both English and Mathematics at GCSE or equivalent."

look at bristol and liverpool once more to check their gcse requirements.. but leeds and manchester i think are possibilities for you..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 132
Original post by hkn123
Reading, you?

oh that's not a good system :s do you know how much they'll use the ukcat this time? and yeah i worked yours out at 420 aswell.. honestly depends what your competition is like tbh.. qmul ask for 3As which is what you have so people predicted A*s shouldn't get priority imo. where did you hear about the new system from?

slough

im so flipping confused with the bart system! im not sure if i shuld apply there or not, im just worried my points are gnna be too low resulting in straight rejection. its unfair how people with ridiculously high predictions will rank higher then people like us with the achieved grades. =\ unless im getting this new system completly wrong =\
Original post by kazma
slough

im so flipping confused with the bart system! im not sure if i shuld apply there or not, im just worried my points are gnna be too low resulting in straight rejection. its unfair how people with ridiculously high predictions will rank higher then people like us with the achieved grades. =\ unless im getting this new system completly wrong =\

yeh i understand what you mean because if someone is predicted A*A*A* it gives them a better chance and they only need to get AAA because that is the minimum entry requirements.
i dont really understand the system either
Reply 134
Original post by kazma
slough

maybe call them up to clarify tomorrow? where did you hear about the system first?
Reply 135
yeh i understand what you mean because if someone is predicted A*A*A* it gives them a better chance and they only need to get AAA because that is the minimum entry requirements.
i dont really understand the system either

its stupid man! im proper annoyed i thought because of my ukcat im pretty much garunteed a interview at barts, turns out they have this new system, but why havent they updated their website? seems abit stupid to be saying this and not updating? has anyone been to their open day?
Reply 136
Original post by hkn123
maybe call them up to clarify tomorrow? where did you hear about the system first?

already called them, and the american sounding guy sed its for dental students aswell =\ but why wuldnt they update their website then? :frown:
Original post by kazma
already called them, and the american sounding guy sed its for dental students aswell =\ but why wuldnt they update their website then? :frown:

mate just apply im sure there's others in your position who are probably thinking the same they shouldn't apply
Reply 138
Original post by kazma

ohh that jeremy luz guy lol, well it's unfair for them to not tell everyone.. did you go to their open day? what's your ukcat score? and did you apply there last year?

you from slough grammar?
Reply 139
Original post by hkn123
ohh that jeremy luz guy lol, well it's unfair for them to not tell everyone.. did you go to their open day? what's your ukcat score? and did you apply there last year?

you from slough grammar?

LOOL u sound like a stalker now, i am from slough grammar :smile:

i ddint go to their open day this year, didnt apply last year and got 675 in my ukcat

wbu? and how did u know/assume im from slough grammar?

Quick Reply

Latest