The Student Room Group

Dentistry Reapplicants 2012

Hey everyone,

Anybody reapplying/miss their grades for dentistry and now taking a gap year? Would be good to discuss unis for 2012 entry and gap year plans on here...
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hkn123
Hey everyone,

Anybody else miss their grades for dentistry and now taking a gap year? Would be good to discuss unis for 2012 entry and gap year plans on here...

hey what university's are you planning on applying to and what do you think the success rate of an retake reaplicant is compared to a normal candinate???
Reply 2
Original post by undertaker1
hey what university's are you planning on applying to and what do you think the success rate of an retake reaplicant is compared to a normal candinate???

heyy, just Cardiff for dentistry from the looks of things.. and i haven't got a clue tbh. i'm just trying to keep positive about it.. but to be realistic as competition is already so high.. retake applicants, depending on what they do in gap year etc. will have a slight disadvantage.. what are your plans?
Reply 3
Original post by Kartace
This is sorta applicable to me, i'm re-applying but i didn't miss my grades, i just didn't get any offers. I'm going to be re-applying to Liverpool, Leeds, Bristol and Cardiff. I got 2A*'s and 2A's at A2. Anyone else in a similar position to me?

At the moment i'm procrastinating about my UKCAT and doing lots of Work Ex and volunteering.

hey, well done on getting those grades! I doubt you'll have much of a problem finding a place.. where did you apply last year? did you get feedback etc.? when's your UKCAT?
Original post by hkn123
heyy, just Cardiff for dentistry from the looks of things.. and i haven't got a clue tbh. i'm just trying to keep positive about it.. but to be realistic as competition is already so high.. retake applicants, depending on what they do in gap year etc. will have a slight disadvantage.. what are your plans?

do cardiff accept re-applicants??
Reply 5
do cardiff accept re-applicants??

heyy, sorry I answered this wrong before :tongue: they don't accept resit candidates in general, for dentistry.. but if you've got the grades and are only reapplying then you should be fine :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hkn123
no they don't, it depends on if you had an offer from them before or not.. what was your situation last year?

i didnt even apply last year. the only thing i dont understand is why do they give preference to candidates who applied to them last year and missed the grades over applicants who have never applied before however are re-applicants.
this statement is aimed at you sorry i just want to know why lol, this is the same with glasgow uni aswell
Reply 7
looks like this thread is for me! i got ABB originally with no offers, now have AAAA and will apply again :smile: good luck all!
Reply 8
i didnt even apply last year. the only thing i dont understand is why do they give preference to candidates who applied to them last year and missed the grades over applicants who have never applied before however are re-applicants.
this statement is aimed at you sorry i just want to know why lol, this is the same with glasgow uni aswell

did you not apply for anything at all? and they don't give preference.. it's just if you've shown interest in their university before I suppose it shows you actually want to go there as opposed to just applying there just like that if that makes sense?
I think it's the same for quite a few unis, manchester and dundee are like that too... but from what I've seen they offer A*AA instead of say 3As that they may have offered before.. so I take it you've got the correct grades? and lol don't worry, I see your point :tongue: where are you thinking of applying?

*i edited the previous post, i misunderstood it sorry! but cardiff do accept reapplicants, just not resit candidates for dentistry
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by addvic
looks like this thread is for me! i got ABB originally with no offers, now have AAAA and will apply again :smile: good luck all!

ahh well done :smile: where are you thinking of applying?
Original post by hkn123
did you not apply for anything at all? and they don't give preference.. it's just if you've shown interest in their university before I suppose it shows you actually want to go there as opposed to just applying there just like that if that makes sense?
I think it's the same for quite a few unis, manchester and dundee are like that too... but from what I've seen they offer A*AA instead of say 3As that they may have offered before.. so I take it you've got the correct grades? and lol don't worry, I see your point :tongue: where are you thinking of applying?

*i edited the previous post, i misunderstood it sorry! but cardiff do accept reapplicants, just not resit candidates for dentistry

thanks for your help its just really annoying because some people can apply to cardiff and glasgow, liverpool, maybe bristol if they missed they grades but did apply first time round.
lol its just means people like me who never really applied before however missed my grades cant even show interest in those university's because i will get a straight rejection lol.
oh well my back up is studying in europe which i don't really want to but i've got no choice, no point applying for anything else as i actually enjoyed dentistry work experience
Reply 11
what are people doing on their gap years?

do unis ask you to do 2 weeks work experience again?
Original post by addvic

so are you a retake applicant? applying with the grades, in other words did you spend more than 2 years to achieve AAAA
Reply 13
Original post by jayman

I'm spending it training as a dental nurse in a practise and doing a maths A level.
Reply 14
thanks for your help its just really annoying because some people can apply to cardiff and glasgow, liverpool, maybe bristol if they missed they grades but did apply first time round.
lol its just means people like me who never really applied before however missed my grades cant even show interest in those university's because i will get a straight rejection lol.
oh well my back up is studying in europe which i don't really want to but i've got no choice, no point applying for anything else as i actually enjoyed dentistry work experience

ohh I see what you mean.. don't give up hope just yet though, try calling up and seeing what they say.. how far off were you for the grades? also, if you apply to unis that take the UKCAT and you have a high score then sometimes they are more flexible with grades.. have you thought about dental hygiene and therapy?
Reply 15
Original post by jayman

for people taking gap years they don't specify that they want us to do more work experience, it's still usually 2-3weeks overall.. but i'm thinking of doing some more volunteering etc. what are your plans for your gap year? and which unis will you be applying to?
Reply 16
Original post by hkn123
ahh well done :smile: where are you thinking of applying?

thanks! im still looking into it. leeds and sheffield accept resit applicants.. not sure about anywhere else!!! i guess i'll just have a lot of "back up" choices haha. where are you planning on applying to?
Reply 17
so are you a retake applicant? applying with the grades, in other words did you spend more than 2 years to achieve AAAA

yeah i did.. i got ABB originally then resat and also did a Chemistry A level and now have AAAA... i have an A in general studies too but i guess no one really counts that haha so thats not included in my 4 A's
Reply 18
Original post by addvic
thanks! im still looking into it. leeds and sheffield accept resit applicants.. not sure about anywhere else!!! i guess i'll just have a lot of "back up" choices haha. where are you planning on applying to?

how do you know leeds accept resit candidates? I know a few people that applied there last year and got straight rejections so I'm worried if that'll happen to me too it's just a wasted choice :s what other courses were you thinking of applying for? and I'm still trying to decide which unis lol, where did you apply last time?
Reply 19
Original post by hkn123
how do you know leeds accept resit candidates? I know a few people that applied there last year and got straight rejections so I'm worried if that'll happen to me too it's just a wasted choice :s what other courses were you thinking of applying for? and I'm still trying to decide which unis lol, where did you apply last time?

because i asked them haha, if you ring them or email them they'll tell you (id say email is better, it might take longer for a response but at least you've got what they say in writing!) yeah i applied there last year and was rejected before interview. if you're confident in your application and feel it is of a good standard, which it would have to be if you're applying anywhere for dentistry, then there's no reason why you shouldnt apply to leeds.

last year i applied to leeds sheffield and glasgow for dentistry and put two pharmacy options down (big mistake, im not interested in pharmacy at all!)

this time im putting leeds and sheffield... then some chemistry courses. probs leeds, newcastle and sheffield for that.

Quick Reply

Latest