The Student Room Group

Most underrated and overrated actors/actresses

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limesasquatch
justin Timberlake = Just stick to ****ing singing you camp bastard.

I liked him in 'Friends with Benefits' :colondollar:
Reply 81
Original post by TheTomD
Overrated: Seth Rogan (He's not that bad, just annoying..)

Ahh come one, the guy's awesome. Every comedy he's been in has been great, there's very few good comedies out there these days

Original post by anonymous_angel_16
I liked him in 'Friends with Benefits' :colondollar:

I haven't actually seen him in anything other than The Social Network, which he was pretty good in. From what I've heard, he's underrated rather than overrated
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
tempted to neg you for clouded judgement. I'll opt not to.
Reply 83
under-rated: Douglad Henshall and Keira Knightley (why does Ross not like her?)
Reply 84
who ever said Brad Pitt is insane. the guy is so diverse. watch twelve monkeys such a good performance. fight club, burn after reading, inglourious bastards. he does funny so well. crazy brilliant. he is such a greta actor i have never seen him fail in anything.

even when he apperead in friends it was voted best celebrity apperance, man was he funny.

MOST UNDERATED:jason bateman. teh guy is so good at drama but i recently saw the change up and he killed it. i had never seen him in a role that and he was ace, better than reynolds and reynolds is best when playing a douche.
Reply 85
Orlando Bloom is [or more was nowadays] overrated and got too many jobs based on looks. He is a really **** actor. Although not as bad as Daniel Radcliffe...I guess they thought he'd develop as he grew up...by the 4th/5th film it was a bit late to replace him... hehe :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by Hylean
It worries me how many people think Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman and Edward Norton are underrated. These actors are huge within Hollywood, earn huge sums of money and have international followings. All three of them have won numerous awards, with Norton having been nominated for an Oscar, for Christ's sake.

alan rickman is quite underated on a global scale. the other two are far better known than he is
Reply 87
Original post by Aizen101
who ever said Brad Pitt is insane.

Agreed! Whoever said that, go and watch True Romance... one of my favourite films, got another underrated actor in there (Christian Slater) and Pitt's depiction of a stoner is genius!

Never thought much of him til I saw that.
Reply 88
alan rickman is quite underated on a global scale. the other two are far better known than he is

Tell that to his numerous awards and his being one of the main actors in one of the biggest movies series of all time. He was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company and has been in some of the world's best loved movies.

He is well respected for his talent.
Reply 89
Original post by chipskylark
I really don't like Mark Wahlberg :ashamed2:

Have you ever seen Fear or Shooter :colonhash:

Overrated: Brad Pitt

Underrated: Richard Burton, old school but he was a class act.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
isnt he a director
Reply 91
Original post by Hylean
Tell that to his numerous awards and his being one of the main actors in one of the biggest movies series of all time. He was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company and has been in some of the world's best loved movies.

He is well respected for his talent.

yeah but he isnt a box office draw really on a global scale. most of his awards are british one and the film series i assume you are mentioning(Harry Potter?) is british and thats where the majority of people found out about him.

ed norton had american history X(serious drama) but also the incredible hulk(big box office draw)

garu oldam is also in the batman series and harry potter, but has had far more serious things too. i hear his new film is already oscar tipped.

alan is a brilliant actor but those two actors would get named far quiker than him on a global list of great actors
Reply 92
Original post by M1F2R3
Have you ever seen Fear or Shooter :colonhash:

Overrated: Brad Pitt

Underrated: Richard Burton, old school but he was a class act.

how is bradd pitt overated, he is so diverse and any film he has been in he has pretty much shone
the ginger lad on coronation street who was in the army has got to be the most hollow actor I've ever seen, even for coronation street.
Reply 94
Did someone mention Gary Oldman? He's also in True Romance urr... he's like a white black guy, hilarious and psychotic at the same time. Just to mention another guy, Christopher walken is universally appraised for every character he's ever played in any film. Like Michael Caine, his presence in any film is great, but he seems to play the same wooden character.
Reply 95
I definitely agree with Adrian Brody being under-rated (he's my FAVOURITE actor :h:).

I think when people say "under-rated" or "over-rated" they mean the GENERAL public's opinion, not the Academy's views.

George Clooney is over-rated imo. Recently he's been acting well, but every time I watch him I just see "George Clooney acting like an exaggerated version of...George CLooney" and that annoys me more than Hayden Christensen's famous woodenness.
Reply 96
Original post by TheArsenal
tempted to neg you for clouded judgement. I'll opt not to.

If this is directed at me, I appreciate it :biggrin:

But my judgement's informed, not clouded
Reply 97
how is bradd pitt overated, he is so diverse and any film he has been in he has pretty much shone

His face is too decent for my liking :bandit:
Reply 98
yeah but he isnt a box office draw really on a global scale. most of his awards are british one and the film series i assume you are mentioning(Harry Potter?) is british and thats where the majority of people found out about him.

ed norton had american history X(serious drama) but also the incredible hulk(big box office draw)

garu oldam is also in the batman series and harry potter, but has had far more serious things too. i hear his new film is already oscar tipped.

alan is a brilliant actor but those two actors would get named far quiker than him on a global list of great actors

That doesn't make him underrated. He is clearly rated quite highly and his role in Dogma is well known and loved.

No one is denying his acting talent. Being unknown on a global scale is not the same to being underrated.

Oh and the Harry Potter were an American/British joint venture. To be pedantic.
Reply 99
Original post by M1F2R3
His face is too decent for my liking :bandit:

i have no idea what that means but i respect your opinion either way

also feel johnny depp is overated. he has been tim burtons lacky for years, so gets any great script tim has. he has never wowed me and never will

Quick Reply

Latest